PDA

View Full Version : File Manager Utility

Obelix
10-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Heya all,

I need / want / require :D a file manager utility that has the same functionality as Windows Explorer (XP) :badpc: but shows the actual size that each directory is using.

Thanks in advance

smurf
10-01-2005, 10:09 AM
A file manager I have been using for some years now is PowerDesk. This used to be a free utility but it is now only available at cost. Have a look at this link:
http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html

beama
10-01-2005, 01:16 PM
like this http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link
Its a xtree gold clone Be care xtree gold was very unforgiving to the "opps didnt mean to that" in other words xtree gold gave you no secound chances.

Billy T
10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
xtree gold was very unforgiving to the "opps didnt mean to that" in other words xtree gold gave you no second chances.

As a long time Xtree Gold user, I have to disagree beama. Xtree was very forgiving because it had an undelete function built in (and appropriately named "Oops").

The true Xtree replacement is Ztree which is available Here (http://www.ztree.com/).

Unlike the example you suggested, it is a mature product that is an almost key-for-key replica of Xtree Gold, but with additional enhancements. I have used it for several years and find it 100% reliable. It has never faulted on me once and I wouldn't be without it. It has saved my bacon many times and is fantastic for finding lost files, multiple instances of files and anything else a good file manager should do.

The only feature missing is the Oops undelete function(which may have been added in the latest releases because it was in the pipeline a year or so back), and you also have to configure your own file compression preference, though it can handle all of the common formats.

You can even email the developer with questions or suggestions and he will actually answer!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

beama
11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the correction Billy Ill look for that opps function, never seen it before I agree that link was the first one that poped up on a google search.

Strommer
11-01-2005, 09:22 AM
JDiskReport is a freebie and is excellent - the best little program I have come across.

http://www.jgoodies.com/index.html

" JDiskReport enables you to understand how much space the files and directories consume on your disk drives, and it helps you find obsolete files and folders.

The tool analyses your disk drives and collects several statistics which you can view as overview charts and details tables.

This is ad- and nag-free uncrippled binary multi-platform software that is free of charge and that never expires. "

Billy T
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
That looks like a very useful adjunct to ZTree Steve.

The main attributes of ZTree are its speed and file search ability. It allows searching within files and is so much faster than any Windows option. Hex editing is also included, which I find useful as well. Grafting directories and other data manipulation features are strong points that Windows cannot match.

If you take a look at the program linked by Beama you will find another link to an English site for XTree devotees that explains many of the documented and undocumented features.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :o

Strommer
13-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Obelix, Billy T, et. al.,

Forgot to mention that J Disk Report displays results in graphical form - you can choose pie or bar graphs. For me, this makes viewing the results easy.

Steve_L

Strommer
13-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Billy T,

To clarify: does Z Tree actually look within files while doing a search? Which kind of files? text only? Includes PDF? Is it a freebie or $$ ? :confused:

I have not gone beyond the main page (of the link you gave).... the display looks like DOS ! :yuck:

Anything that is better than Windows Search is of interest to me. :D

Billy T
13-01-2005, 06:18 PM
To clarify: does Z Tree actually look within files while doing a search? Which kind of files? text only?
The usual procedure is to log the disk, then set the filespec for the type of file you want to search inside. Tag the file (or all files of that type) select search, set the search criteria (usually a key word or phrase) and hit enter. It takes longer to describe than it takes to do. Logging 3.3GB of files on my C: drive takes about seven seconds including the time taken to open the program.

Includes PDF? Is it a freebie or $$ ?
It can look inside most files, but PDF would need a viewer and I don't know if one has been developed yet. It is free for a trial period, after that it keeps reminding you that you really ought to buy it. It is so good I willingly paid, and one payment is it, future updates are free.

I have not gone beyond the main page (of the link you gave).... the display looks like DOS ! :yuck:
Anything that is better than Windows Search is of interest to me. :D
Yes, it does looks like DOS, that is because it has no frills, it is just incredibly flexible and efficient, and blindingly fast. If you like your utilities delivered in sugar coated, no thinking required, windows look-alike packages it is not for you.

For more user comments and testimonials, take a look Here. (http://www.ztree.com/html/winners.html)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ninja
13-01-2005, 06:26 PM
A friend can't get enough of Directory Opus:
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Preview/preview.html

Personally I can't get it off machines fast enough, but each to their own.

Billy T
13-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Apparently there is a PDF viewer that can integrate with ZTree. It is based on Ghostscript and can be found here (
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) but you will have to search for it.

This (http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Boardroom/5885/swdev6_.htm) is the home page for the source, and I have posted it because there are many pages that would interest fans of all sorts of OSs including:

FreeDOS - a free DOS version, including source codee, there are many DOS links to related software and projects
Freedows- a free Windows version
Wine - a Windows interface based on Linux
IBM OS
IBM PC DOS - IBM's DOS operating system
IBM OS/2 WARP -
IBM AIX -
IBM OS/390 -
Apple
The Apple Online Museum -
Apple MacOS
MacOS 9 -
MacOS X -
Unix
SCO Unix -
HP-UX -
BSD Unix
Minix
Minix -
Linux
For real-time Linux click here.
Linux -
S.u.S.E. (Germany) - S.u.S.E. (U.S.A.) - the most widely used Linux distribution in Germany and Europe (S.u.S.E. is the largest Linux distributor in Europe)
RedHat - probably the most widely used Linux distrribution worldwide, in the last time RedHat seems to start up with the building of a Linux Empire by acquiring other companies in the Linux or Open Source market like Delix or Cygnus
Debian - a free Linux distribution
Delix - German linux distributor, has been acquirred by RedHat
GNOME - a desktop environment for Linux, based onn XWindows, similar to KDE
KDE - the K Desktop Environment for Linux, baseed on XWindows
developer.kde.org - the KDE Developers' Web Site
KDevelop - the KDE Integrated Development Environmennt IDE for Linux
KDE.com - Everything KDE
Wine - a Windows interface based on Linux
The Linux Kernel Archives -
Linux for Apple, IBM, and Motorola PowerPC Systems - Linux ports for the PowerPC (PPC) processor architecture, currently the main focus is on Apple systems, therefore the support for other PowerPC systems like the Motorola PREP PowerStack is only limited
www.ppc.kernel.org - another site about Linux for PowerPC
www.linuxppc.com - another site about Linux for PowerPC
Security-Enhanced Linux - brought to you by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA)
DLR Fresh Archive - linux/src -
Troll Tech - the developers of QT, the Windows class library used for KDE
Jessie - free IDE from SGI
Linuxland -
Linuxcare -
Linux Benchmarks -
muLinux Project Home Page - the Micro Linux project, a minimalistic but complete Linux systems that fits on one or two 3,5" disks
muLinux - Linux on a floppy disk -
tomsrtbt - Linux on a floppy disk -
DEC Digital Equipment Corporation VMS
Information about the DEC VMS operating system -
VAX, AXP,VMS Links -
DECUS DEC User Group -
BeOS
BeOS - there will be a free BeOS version available later this year
Amiga OS
Commodore Amiga -
The Official AmigaOS 3.5 Homepage - see also the Amiga homepage for more information about the Amiga
Commodore C64
Die Commodore Geschichte -
www.c64.org -
www.c64.com -
8 Bit Core (dot) COM -
C64Games.de - The C64 WebRessource
ZX Spectrum
The ZX Spectrum Software Museum -
Emulators
MAME - The official Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator site
Oliverīs Emulator Seite -

Microsoft OS
MS Windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP -
MS Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows 2000 -
MS Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation -
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server -
Microsoft Windows NT High Availability Operations Guide: Implementing Systems for Reliability and Availability -
MS Windows 95 / Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95 -
Microsoft Windows 98 -
Other Microsoft OS
Microsoft MS DOS - Microsoft's 16 bit operating system, there is currently no link on the Microsoft Homepage (no longer supported, last version was MS DOS 6.22)
Microsoft Windows 3.1 - Microsoft's 16 bit operating system with graphical user interface, there is currently no link on the Microsoft Homepage (no longer supported, last version was MS Windows 3.11)
Other DOS and Windows Versions

I moved Windows to the end so as not to put anybody off.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent
13-01-2005, 09:17 PM
When I was looking for file manager replacements, Directory Opus was said to be the best. I think it used to be a free program.

You could also try out an old version of Servant Salamander (http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/index.html). It's not fantastic in my opinion, but it is quite useful, and the old version (1.52) is freeware.