PDA

View Full Version : Linux SATA Support

Ash M
09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey, I'm going out to buy a 160gb Serial ATA hard drive. It will be for use within my Fedora Core 2 server box.

I'm running the 2.6.5-1.358 fedora kernel.

Will this have support for the Seagate drive built in, or am I going to have to find drivers/modules, or should I just upgrade via synaptic to a newer kernel.

Anyone tried FC2 and Serial ATA drives?

m_pav
09-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but why would you (a mepis lover) want to run FC2 which can be cracked in just 2 minutes? Doesn't every road lead to Debian?

I don't think the seagate drive would be a problem, but watch out for your SATA controller and especially the BIOS if your mobo is from a proprietry vendor like Dell. Sata controllers are just a variation/progression of RAID controllers, of which Linux kernels have had support for some time now, but some mobo's try to protect the boot paramaters of the installed disks.

The 2.6 kernels are getting better, but the best option by far would be to compile your own kernel and remove the bloat for excess hardware not used in your system.

You didn't mention if you intended to do a fresh install or just add it to an existing installation as a secondary drive.

beama
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Could not see any reference to SATA drives on the Fedora 2 release notes site.
I did have a Debain based distro refuse to install on Sata drive about two days ago, but Debain is widely known to be not leading edge (I prefer Debain Distros too) Thats why thier distros are so stable.
I put my money on Jen knowing the answer to this one.

ILikeLinux
10-01-2005, 06:11 AM
It all depends on what motherboard you have, if fedoracore 2 has mozdules builtin for it or not.

What mother board do you have?

Ash M
10-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Haven't tried it myself, but why would you (a mepis lover) want to run FC2 which can be cracked in just 2 minutes? Doesn't every road lead to Debian?

I would, but its for an FTP server.. Mepis isn't really geared towards that, Debian Woody & Sarge are both too old., and haven't got round to Ubuntu yet....

Just waiting till i know enough to use Gentoo

Jen
10-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I would take a look at your current kernel config file to see what support is there. You can find the config file in /boot. I don't have SATA drives, so have never paid much attention to it. You may find some helpful information on whether, and how your drives will be supported by searching http://kerneltrap.org/.

Good luck with it. :)