PDA

View Full Version : Central Park Interactive

pine-o-cleen
09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
GRRR! Yes I'm a little hacked off...and here's why.

I brought Final Fantasy XI from Central Park Interactive (Palmerston Notrh store) on Tuesday, got it home and opened it up in eager anticipation only to find that to play it, you have to pay $US 12.99 per month! (first 30 days free).

I wasn't happy.

I went to their site the next day to search for their refunds/returns policy. No luck, so I sent an email enquiring what my options were. I got an email back the following day saying this.

due to this game being pc we can not refund your money but you are more than welcome to trade it in for another one or get a voucher for the future, in future carefully select your game before buying.

thanks Jay

Trade it in!!!? Trade it in? :mad:

Now this to me seems to suggest that I am not going to get credited for the price I paid for it, but what they think it is worth.

I have sent another email asking them to advise if I can swap it for Need For Speed Underground 2, which (on their site) has a price of $88.50.

I have a feeling I'm going to get back a trade in price.

Now I know there are a few people around here that know a bit about the consumer guarantees act ;)

Anyone?

Edward
09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
For the consumar guarantees act to work in your favour, it has to not be fit for it's particular cause. If you try it, and find it not to function, you can take it back for a full refund. If it works however, I'm not sure about what your position legally is. If it says nowhere on the box that you have to pay, you may have a cause, but I'm not entirely sure.

4bes
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
When you say you have to pay a monthly fee to play it, is this for online play? Is the game playable offline for no additional fee?
Was this fee printed anywhere on the outside of the packaging for you to see before you payed and left the shop?
When you 'purchase' software, you don't actually buy the software as in own it, you are paying to use the 'license'. Sometimes that can include a limit of some sort. i.e. with windows, you will only get patches/ updates for so many years etc.
Unfortunately you are unable to read the agreement before 'purchasing' the program and not all of the info is available on the outside of the packaging.
CPI are quite within there rights to offer store credit or to swap if you have changed your mind on an item, but are under no obligation to do so. If the game is not performing the function it was advertised to, then you are intitled to a refund but this again can be given as a store credit.
It can be a bit of a grey area with software as it can easily be pirated and most stores will advertise that refunds will not be given on software:(

Graham L
09-01-2005, 03:20 PM
How do you know you will get a reduced "trade-in price"?

"trade it in" could easily mean "select another game up to the same value". They might even give you change if the other game is cheaper. They would certainly want you to pay the extra if it costs more. :D Ask them to clarify their answer before you hate them here.

It's quite likely that they wanty to keep you happy: happy customers buy more.

Returned software costs the shop time. They have to check that all the bits are there --- CD, manuals, any other bits of paper, and then shrink-wrap. Time is money.

MartynC
09-01-2005, 03:34 PM
If the game is not performing the function it was advertised to, then you are intitled to a refund but this again can be given as a store credit.
The CGA states & i quote from section:

"19.Requirement to remedyŚ

(3)A refund referred to in subsection (1)(c) of this section means a refund in cash of the money paid or the value of any other consideration provided, or both, as the case may require."

Unless you can't prove what you paid, ie don't have the receipt, then you have to be paid cash, not store credit. :2cents:

Graham L
09-01-2005, 03:41 PM
If you can't prove what you have paid, ie don't have the receipt, you can't get a refund. You need proof that you bought something. Shoplifters aren't covered by the CGA. :D

MartynC
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
, you can't get a refund. You need proof that you bought something. Shoplifters aren't covered by the CGA. :D

I agree about shoplifters, but what I was trying to say is that if you have the proof, You MUST be paid cash "or the value of any other consideration provided" eg refund to eft-pos/credit card. they CAN'T make you take store credit no matter how hard they try. they want you to, as it ties you into there store, as of course with cash you can go elsewhere.

When the CGA came into force, i had to take a copy of it to a shop who wanted to gie my mum store credit only, Once they saw the act they had no choice but to give her cash. :thumbs:

Billy T
09-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Now I know there are a few people around here that know a bit about the consumer guarantees act ;)

Anyone?

If you made the decision to go to CPI to purchase it on the basis of an advertisement (whether by CPI or any other advertiser) AND the ad did not specify that it was a subscription only game, AND CPI did not tell you that at the time of purchase i.e. "you do realise sir, that you have to pay $xx per month to play after the first 30 days?" then you are entitled to a full refund of the purchase price because you did not get what you thought you were buying and they did not tell you.

Before complaining though, you had better check very carefully on their site that there was not some prominent advice about the subscription so that you don't make an ass of yourself.

If you are in the right, stay calm and polite, but if you get nowhere, even with the manager, tell them you will take the matter to Consumer Affairs at the Commerce Commission (or whatever their current name is, an Internet search will set you right on that) then go and do just that.

Try to make sure you have not overlooked anything before doing this, as you would feel a bit silly if CPI pointed to a big sign behind their counter saying that the game was subscription based!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

P.S. I just checked and the CPI ad for FF XI makes no reference to subscriptions. I'm not a gamer so I don't know if subscriptions are common, or whether they are a normal feature of this game's developers.

You seem to be on reasonable grounds since it was the online ad that drew you to their PN store, but tread carefully and move slowly. Keep your cool and insist on a full refund.

pine-o-cleen
09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Ok to clarify a few things.

Firstly, it does say (in very small type!) on the box 'Additional online fees required'.

Secondly, this game does not have an 'offline' version.

Thirdly, I'm not really after a refund now that I have found a game that I want to 'swap' my game for.

I emailed them this morning asking them to clarify what was meant by 'Trade'.

I just want credit for the full purchase price.

So...in summation, maybe I shouldn't have wasted all your time and just waited for a reply

I was mad...there was a forum...isn't this what mad people do? :D

MartynC
09-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I went to CPI at Manukau & purchased Civ III Complete as a gift for a mate. I told the guy that as he was away & it was a gift, I therefore didn't know if he would buy it while on holiday. I was told to keep my receipt & I had a 7 day "guarantee" period when I could return it. :thumbs:

Winston001
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok to clarify a few things.

Firstly, it does say (in very small type!) on the box 'Additional online fees required'.

Secondly, this game does not have an 'offline' version.
:D

Does it say this isn't an off-line game? If so, then combined with the "aditional fees" small print, you have no right of return. However, shops don't like unhappy customers and do not always insist on the strict law.

But they don't have to give you a refund if there is nothing wrong with the product and you had the opportunity before buying to be aware of the restrictions.

Billy T
09-01-2005, 11:58 PM
But they don't have to give you a refund if there is nothing wrong with the product and you had the opportunity before buying to be aware of the restrictions.

I have to disagree with you on that one Winston. On-line fee type games would be an exception rather than the rule, so the seller should have brought this to the buyer's attention. This is especially important if the critical condition is in fine print that would not normally be read by a prospective buyer prior to purchase. The opportunity has to be genuine, and one that the average consumer would readily identify before purchase.

I reckon if this one was taken on, it would be a winner.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pine-o-cleen
10-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Well it seems I had nothing to worry about. :blush:

So lets change this thread to...What the hell kind of software company makes a game that you have to pay $USD 12.99 PER MONTH to play?

I mean I like Squaresoft (Square something else now) games, but there is no way I'm paying anything after the initial purchase.

cfc_lions
20-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, I went to www.firstin.co.nz this morning and got a brand new 17" flatscreen CRT monitor for $0! They had messed up and put the price in at $0 instead of $99.95. I initially thought that there was no way they'd give me a monitor for free, but I got an email saying that they had screwed up and they want to support their shoppers so I'm getting it for nothing! Now that's awesome - consumer guarantees act be damned!! :thumbs:

So everyone should go and visit their site - they have an awesome new deal everyday and they look after their customers better than anyone I've ever seen!

~sy~
20-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, I went to www.firstin.co.nz this morning and got a brand new 17" flatscreen CRT monitor for $0! They had messed up and put the price in at $0 instead of $99.95. I initially thought that there was no way they'd give me a monitor for free, but I got an email saying that they had screwed up and they want to support their shoppers so I'm getting it for nothing! Now that's awesome - consumer guarantees act be damned!! :thumbs:

So everyone should go and visit their site - they have an awesome new deal everyday and they look after their customers better than anyone I've ever seen!
WOW! Nice ;) I don't understand how this relates to this whole thread though. Anyway, I haven't heard about them before. Who's behind them? Don't seem to have any contact details, etc.

Metla
20-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah right.

Looks like a desperate ploy to atract hits to me.

Edit.

Strange site, I shall reserve judgement on it i think.

Still, With no contacts details.....

Miami Steve
20-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah right.

Edit.

Does the name Colin Brown mean anything to anybody? :eek:

A colleague also got a 17" monitor for $10. Should have been $99.95.

Looks like he's back..... :@@:

george12
20-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Wow, that is one cheao monitor.... nice deal .... I think...

george12
20-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Awww I can't beleive I missed it.

:(. I mean, $100 is still good but $0 + $10 would be better.

It is amazing that they honoured it though. In fact....

I think they might have done it deliberately - the reactions have been great, so it probably made more money than it lost, building their reputation at the same time. Very smart indeed.

~sy~
20-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Ah! This explains it all. It's owned by Colin Brown. I just did a whois search on the domain, and bingo! there goes good old Colin's name.

Will he ever give up? I guess not.

cfc_lions
20-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah right.

Edit.

Not at all. This thread was about bad customer service from Central Park. I got such good service from firstin that I thought I'd mention it. I don't care who runs the site - I got a new monitor for free!

Miami Steve
20-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Ah! This explains it all. It's owned by Colin Brown. I just did a whois search on the domain, and bingo! there goes good old Colin's name.

Will he ever give up? I guess not.
See my earlier post :D

Metla
20-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I just purchased two of them.

I am now officially disgusted with myself.

Miami Steve
20-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Shame on you :eek: :horrified

~sy~
20-01-2005, 08:07 PM

.. to sell on at double the price? Not a bad idea at all :D

Tux
20-01-2005, 09:27 PM
the same pc company colin brown, wow, i thought he was an undisclosed bankrupt, dont you have to wait 3 years to start another business?

Edward
20-01-2005, 09:38 PM
"PC Company Athlon 2600+ PC 80GB HDD/256MB Windows XP Pro"

Yup, that's him...

Metla
20-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Heh.....I just got an email from him,Seems he has been reading this thread :eek:

Raikyn
20-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Any responses as to their service, reliability and delivery would be good :)
I've noticed that responses on their forums tend to be after the product has sold out or the next day. It's not much point of having those forums if the potential customer can't get the information he wants before the deal closes.

Looks interesting though. but I'm still a little sceptical.

beetle
20-01-2005, 10:26 PM
So Metla what have you ordered and gonna get or now maybe not gonna get as the case may be, if what you say about email is true?

LOL

no rest for the wicked.

and free things arent always what they seem are they????? is it in going order ? and free? doesnt seem quite right in the same sentence.

b

Metla
20-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Only the people that ordered before 7.30 got their gear for the cost of shipping, Once the error came to their attention they corrected it, And notified those that made the orders would recieve them for the agreed upon price,which was $10

I bought 2 Monitors for $100 each, I presume they are new items, Has to be good at that price.

His email just states ..He has read this thread,He's glad i signed up, and they hope to deliver good value.

Nice touch.

Raikyn
20-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Good to hear :)
It's always good to know that people are listening to the community for feedback when starting a business such as this.
If feedback remains positive then I'll probably be having a closer look. Means I'll have to get a credit card though :(

Am I the only person in their 20's without a credit card or cellphone. Seems that way :p