PDA

View Full Version : Joining several internet connections

george12
09-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking to set up something in which I join several ADSL and cable internet connections (all with static IPs of course).

I want to combine the bandwidth of these connections and pipe it into one.

Here is a shoddy diagram:

www.jgi.co.nz/images/networkdiag.bmp

Basicly every one of the internet connections would be coming in as ethernet lines. One or two might be behind a NAT + DMZ configuration, others would be direct connections.

Anyway, how would I set this strange configuration up?

I can get as many switches, routers etc as necessary, but PCs acting as routers are preferred to real routers (cheaper for me).

Let's pretend we have 5 internet connections, each 2Mbit.

Say half (yes I know .... half of 5 .... but it's just a crude example) are Jetstream (2048k / 192k) and half are cable (2048k / 512k).

I want traffic equally piped through the connections, so that an as even as possible flow of traffic goes through them.

To simplify things, we can forget about incoming for now.

And don't bother to tell me I am insane. It's no use.

ninja
09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Even if you could "combine them" you would still only be able to upload/download at a max of 2048/192 (or whatever the pipe size is).

As once it prepares to leave your network, the request can only go out as one of the IP addresses, and return as one of the IP addresses. So you're limited to the size of one pipe which defeats the purpose.

EG:
wget http://somewhere.net.org.co.au.nz/somedistro.iso

You can't then have 5 different IP's going and getting the file so that it'll come down at 10M.

tweak'e
09-01-2005, 12:36 PM
i have run into some software that is ment to do something along those lines. (sygate office network ??) the idea being is if each pc in the office has a net connection then each pc could share the whole lot at once. however i never got it to work and i don't know if any isp would work with it.

george12
10-01-2005, 12:50 AM
That would be the great, horrible wall of uselessness that stopped me ninja.

BUT

Download managers split the downloads into several connections. Now, each conenction could be routed through a different IP...

Will look into that tweak'e :)

bsssst
10-01-2005, 01:25 AM
That would be the great, horrible wall of uselessness that stopped me ninja.

BUT

Download managers split the downloads into several connections. Now, each conenction could be routed through a different IP...

Will look into that tweak'e :)

If you ask the people you burgeled the idea from they may tell you what you need to do.

Trying to dodge the 1 BIG port and its costs is uneconomic in the medium term because of:

1 cost of gear, even if its salvage std.

2 software is complex to set up and maintain and it only justifies on larger files ie movie's iso's.

You need to run 247 to justify the cost of all the connections and equippment.

Where as buying the big pot/connection and farming it out spreads the beniffit of the very high speed to consumers/users of the subnet. Whom could not possibly afford this speed on their own.

Same principle as web hosting I put your page/'s on my server and end up with free acess and a profit.

Except this system is intende to benifit consumers in coperatives not produce more Midell men. The net has enough Scammers charging Exorbitant prices for nothing all ready.

george12
10-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Bsssst, this isn't some kind of business endeavour.

Who the hell do you think I "stole" this idea from?

Anyway, I'm not trying to build an ISP here.

The theory is that a few friends (who live close enough for an easy wireless link), all having 2Mbit internet, could all peer the internet connections together so that they all have access to the sum of all the connections and bandwidth.

If, say, two people were downloading, that would mean 5Mbit each. If all five were simultaneously downloading, you would expect still higher than 2Mbit.

So basicly, they all send their internet connection into my house by wireless, and I combine them all and act as their gateway.

George

bsssst
10-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Bsssst, this isn't some kind of business endeavour.

Who the hell do you think I "stole" this idea from?

Anyway, I'm not trying to build an ISP here.

The theory is that a few friends (who live close enough for an easy wireless link), all having 2Mbit internet, could all peer the internet connections together so that they all have access to the sum of all the connections and bandwidth.

If, say, two people were downloading, that would mean 5Mbit each. If all five were simultaneously downloading, you would expect still higher than 2Mbit.

So basicly, they all send their internet connection into my house by wireless, and I combine them all and act as their gateway.

George

And if the same group instead put in 1 server in one house with 1 lan and 1 full speed connection.

They would have lower overhed both financiall monthly and system and each would have premium speed acess your doing it backwards increasing network overhead time consumed and expence.

If you do it with the wright satalite equippment you can nuke your phone costs and your satalite tv costs as well because all can be shared through the one portall/dish then you can afford a fall/failover standby server also.

And greedy downloaders gan get volume controll programs so that as the demand of others on the system goes up the volume available for them decreases and v/v. which means you can put your down loads in the que and leave them instead of waiting till load is low to run them.

You should be looking at software like that for your exisisting set up then you wouldnt have to worry about overloading the bandwidth you have sold to your customers as it would be done automatically.

All you would have to check then is data cap points.

Who am I, I'm a lurker and as some of the idiots here seem to be being brought to heel for attacking strangers and innocents, and abusing each other.

There might be some real posts of intrest containing new knoweledge and information of value.

Also my neighbour has split his satalite broad band with me. I am not hamstrung buy Telecon any more, so its worth posting as it dosent take forever.

At work we can surf but we cant upload/down load any thing. you can type in the address bar and that's it.

Graham L
10-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Basically, I think you are SOOL.

Think about it in the simplest form.

Effectively, you want to create a "server" (call it "george") which has, say, 5 2Mbps lines which connect it to one (or more) ISP(s) which in turn access the Internet.

george route through wireless links to his 5 users.

But this can't possibly provide a 10Mbps channel to the Internet for one user. All it has is 5 links to ISPs. It might be able to provide 2 (or more) 2 Mbps channels to one user. But that user would be logged in as two or more users on the ISPs, so would be running two or more) sessions. ISPs are not likely to cooperate.

This sort of clustering up lines to get more capacity has been done, especially with 9600 bps leased lines. But it needs to have provision made at both ends.

You're still stuck with the fact that you have to be 5 users as far as the ISPs are concerned.

george12
10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
They're going to be completely different people, with different accounts. Some would have different ISPs or even entirely different connection technology (ADSL, Cable).

But hey, you're right.

I quite like the Telstra LightSpeed 10G plan actually.

10Mbps connection speed, 1Mbps upstream, 10GB international & national at 10%. $139 / month.

Split between five people and you get $27.80 per month!!!

And nice and fast too, with 2GB national, 20GB international each.

Doesn't get much better than that huh.

Graham L
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
But you still need a single line to the ISP to provide all the bandwidth.

Are the people good friends?

Will they be good friends after one has ("Oops, sorry folks") used up all the gigabytes for the month? Does the scheme cut back to 56k when the cap is hit? :D

bsssst
10-01-2005, 03:41 PM
They're going to be completely different people, with different accounts. Some would have different ISPs or even entirely different connection technology (ADSL, Cable).

But hey, you're right.

I quite like the Telstra LightSpeed 10G plan actually.

10Mbps connection speed, 1Mbps upstream, 10GB international & national at 10%. $139 / month.

Split between five people and you get $27.80 per month!!!

And nice and fast too, with 2GB national, 20GB international each.

Doesn't get much better than that huh.

Now your thinking, now go look at some satalite plans combining phone and tv with internett in the 1 deal.

Do all those people really need a land line in each house or at least a full service land line in each house, some of them at least could drop down to the lower line rentall plan if internett was moved off hard wire. all those adsl routers you dont have to buy.

For the Micro victims a/v defanition ect downloaded once just pick them up from the file on the lan server.

A littlie bit of cooperation can save duplicate fees and more inportantly duplicate time wastage and you should have learnt buy now, time is real money.

george12
10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
No it doesn't - it is $15 per GB over.

Yeah, all good friends. I will find a way to monitor and control bandwidth.

Basicly, my master plan is this:

Each user can have the full speed, as long as no user gets less than 2Mbit (10Mbit / 5 users). And no user gets less than their share of the bandwidth.

So none is wasted.

I just need to find ways to get a link with 5 friends now...

george12
10-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Now your thinking, now go look at some satalite plans combining phone and tv with internett in the 1 deal.

Do all those people really need a land line in each house or at least a full service land line in each house, some of them at least could drop down to the lower line rentall plan if internett was moved off hard wire. all those adsl routers you dont have to buy.

For the Micro victims a/v defanition ect downloaded once just pick them up from the file on the lan server.

A littlie bit of cooperation can save duplicate fees and more inportantly duplicate time wastage and you should have learnt buy now, time is real money.

Could you link to some of these satellite plans? How is upstream handled?