PDA

View Full Version : Swapping hard drives

JJJJJ
07-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Some may remember our discussion about transferring a hard disk from one comp. to another. The general consencis was that it would't work. I would have to re-install XP and everything else.
Well I took the drive from my P4 3000 with a gigabyte M/B and all I had to do was sort out the drivers and it ran perfectly. So I was right!!
Today I removed the drive and installed it in my rebuilt box. An Athlon 64 3200+ in an Asus board. It booted OK but then as soon as it saw Windows it came to an abrupt stop and refused to go any further no matter what I tried.
So I finished up reformating and re-installing. And no problems. So this time I was wrong!!!
So looks like sometimes swapping will work and other times it won't.
Jack

Metla
07-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Today i swapped mobo's between 2 comps,One had a via baord and the other an nforce3 (both althon 64 boards)

on first boot after the swap i reloaded xp on each machine,The comp that had the via replaced wth the nfoce 3 went smooth as silk,Hummed along.

The other died a miserable death,even after reloading xp, on boot the hardware installer launched and locked the machine,in safe mode it gives repeated errors,and takes 15 minutes to boot....

Its been a long day......

bsssst
07-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Some may remember our discussion about transferring a hard disk from one comp. to another. The general consencis was that it would't work. I would have to re-install XP and everything else.
Well I took the drive from my P4 3000 with a gigabyte M/B and all I had to do was sort out the drivers and it ran perfectly. So I was right!!
Today I removed the drive and installed it in my rebuilt box. An Athlon 64 3200+ in an Asus board. It booted OK but then as soon as it saw Windows it came to an abrupt stop and refused to go any further no matter what I tried.
So I finished up reformating and re-installing. And no problems. So this time I was wrong!!!
So looks like sometimes swapping will work and other times it won't.
Jack

Was this a genuine HP install preinstalled in your new machine or did you put it in your self on your first machine, with either restore install disks or a full xp disk.

Prescott
07-01-2005, 08:01 PM
did you try this? (http://www.brienposey.com/kb/Moving_Windows_XP_to_new_hardware.asp)

Metla
07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Did who try that?

If your referring to me then you may notice all the article says to do is reinstall windows on first boot....

Not worthy of a donation. :D

Prescott
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
oh, this is for a different situation :thumbs:

JJJJJ
08-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Was this a genuine HP install preinstalled in your new machine or did you put it in your self on your first machine, with either restore install disks or a full xp disk.
First swap. I removed the disk from the HP and fitted the disk from my old machine. It was loaded with win xp and numerous other software and files.It worked perfectly after changing a few drivers.

Second swap. Same disk removed from HP and installed back into old machine,now rebuilt with different m/b and cpu. Windows would not load.

third swap. Hp original disk with windows, etc pre-installed is now back in the HP. Works properly as of course it should.
Jack

bsssst
08-01-2005, 05:43 AM
First swap. I removed the disk from the HP and fitted the disk from my old machine. It was loaded with win xp and numerous other software and files.It worked perfectly after changing a few drivers.

Second swap. Same disk removed from HP and installed back into old machine,now rebuilt with different m/b and cpu. Windows would not load.

third swap. Hp original disk with windows, etc pre-installed is now back in the HP. Works properly as of course it should.
Jack

It first took it that you had put the preinstalled hp Hdd in another machine, tried to put it back.

A lot of preinstalls or systems restored with factory restore disksdo not need activation, and some do not Scream if you move them to a new enviroment and get them to boot.

Which is why the question.