PDA

View Full Version : Winxp Computer Lockup

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi all. Within the last few months I have been experiencing lockups with my computer after about 10 to 12 hours of doing nothing on it. I let task manager run while this happened, and all it is showing is a sudden 100% spike in the CPU and then comes the lockup. I even ran task manager showing the running processes cause I thought I could catch it that way. The highest process at lock up was Explorer and it was only at 14,000 k. I reformatted 2ce, changed the video card, ran all sorts of CPU tests, hard drive tests memory tests, motherboard test, temp tests you name it. Temp in Bios says 40 celcius so its not a heat issue. I checked to see if it was in Power Options, but the Hard Drive shutdown is set to never. Its not virus or spyware related because it still does it after a reformat.I Checked this anyway using Norton, Adaware and spybot but nothing. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out problems like this but I cant figure this out for the life of me.
I have a Pentium 3 733mhz
512 mem ram
Maxtor 40 gig harddrive and a 80 gig (did scan-no errors)
Geforce 4 3800 64meg Video Card And a TNT 32 meg (Tried both)
QDI Mainboard
Award Bios
Sound Blaster Card
DirectX 9c

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
Thx Ron

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2005, 07:39 AM
What video driver was installed at the time?? Or is installed right now?

Nvidia drivers??

Not the Nvidia drivers from Windowsupdate??

Check Event Viewer. See what shows up here.

What other programs are installed? Nortons AV/NIS? Zonealarm?

Any firewalls at all?

drb1
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Hi all. Within the last few months I have been experiencing lockups with my computer after about 10 to 12 hours of doing nothing on it. I let task manager run while this happened, and all it is showing is a sudden 100% spike in the CPU and then comes the lockup. I even ran task manager showing the running processes cause I thought I could catch it that way. The highest process at lock up was Explorer and it was only at 14,000 k. I reformatted 2ce, changed the video card, ran all sorts of CPU tests, hard drive tests memory tests, motherboard test, temp tests you name it. Temp in Bios says 40 celcius so its not a heat issue. I checked to see if it was in Power Options, but the Hard Drive shutdown is set to never. Its not virus or spyware related because it still does it after a reformat.I Checked this anyway using Norton, Adaware and spybot but nothing. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out problems like this but I cant figure this out for the life of me.
512 mem ram
QDI Mainboard
Award Bios
Sound Blaster Card
DirectX 9c

Thx Ron

Which Sound Blaster and Whose??

What other ide drives/devices on what ide chanells at what positions.

What/any usb devices.

What lan/modem.

This is possibly an intermittent conflict one of the hardest too long distance diagnose.

D.

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 09:32 AM
What video driver was installed at the time?? Or is installed right now?

Nvidia drivers??

Not the Nvidia drivers from Windowsupdate??

Check Event Viewer. See what shows up here.

What other programs are installed? Nortons AV/NIS? Zonealarm?

Any firewalls at all?

Thx For Response.

1) Nvidia updates are from the Nvidia Home site.
2) I have at this point no Anti Virus Installed. nothing from Norton
3) I Checked Event Viewer and the last error I found prior to lockup was 12.41 am last night. The error was in the Service Control Manager. It says "The TVICHW32 service failed to start due to th following error. The system cannot find the file specified." The lock up happened between 8 am and 11 am this morning. Nothing in event manager during those times.
4) No Fire Walls

Thx Again

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi Thx drb1 for responding
Its a Creative Sound Blaster Live
Printer and Scanner are USB
Have a Maxtor 40 gig in Primary Master and HP dvd writer as slave
Have a Segate 80 gig on secondary and Asus CD writer as Slave
Have a D-Link ethernet Card DFE-530TXS

The lockup still happens with the Ethernet or modem unplugged

THX again

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
512 mem ram
QDI Mainboard
Award Bios
Sound Blaster Card
DirectX 9c

Thx Ron

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I would put both hdd's on primary master/slave.

BOTH cd's on secondary master/slave.

Sometimes hdd's and cd's dont lke each other, if theyre on the same IDE connection. As one is usually faster than the other.

Also, if u want to kill the TV thing error. Go to device manager. Select view / show hidden devices. Highlight that TV thing delete it then reboot.

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I would put both hdd's on primary master/slave.

BOTH cd's on secondary master/slave.

Sometimes hdd's and cd's dont lke each other, if theyre on the same IDE connection. As one is usually faster than the other.

Also, if u want to kill the TV thing error. Go to device manager. Select view / show hidden devices. Highlight that TV thing delete it then reboot.

Thx for replying
I killed the TV error thing thx
As for the IDE connection I Have tried this both ways. It didnt matter

Thx again

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Thx For Response.

1) Nvidia updates are from the Nvidia Home site.
2) I have at this point no Anti Virus Installed. nothing from Norton
3) I Checked Event Viewer and the last error I found prior to lockup was 12.41 am last night. The error was in the Service Control Manager. It says "The TVICHW32 service failed to start due to th following error. The system cannot find the file specified." The lock up happened between 8 am and 11 am this morning. Nothing in event manager during those times.
4) No Fire Walls

Thx Again

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2005, 11:10 AM
OK does anything under device manager show an X? or ? or ! ??

RonTheRipper
07-01-2005, 02:19 PM
OK does anything under device manager show an X? or ? or ! ??

Hi Speedy
The answer to your question is no.Device manager is good.

Its close to locking up again
Cpu is at 100%
In The cpu column of task manager IE is at 46
CSRSS is at 40
System Idle at 15
The rest not worth mentioning
As far as mem usage top dog is IE 14000 k
svhost 11000k
explorer 6000k
The rest not worth mentioning
There is nothing I'm seeing in Task Manager thats out of the ordinary yet the cpu usage keeps climbing. I've even used programs to free memory to see if that would help but yet it still locks.

Your thoughts again would be appreciated

RonTheRipper
09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok ran Process Explorer and found out that winsrv.dll is the culprit causing the 100% spike in Csrss.exe. What would cause this??

PcNut
09-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Why are there 2 threads on the same subject

RonTheRipper
15-01-2005, 07:23 AM
No.

RonTheRipper
16-01-2005, 06:12 AM
No It Doesn't

RonTheRipper
16-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok heres what I've now:

I just did a new install of WinXP on a Brand new Seagate Hard Drive without installing any other programs or software and the problem still persists.

I also ran Memtest for 48 hours and no errors

Also unplugged anything in USB ports

Now What

Thx again- awaiting reply

bartsdadhomer
16-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Surely it must now come down to hardware
My money is on the power supply
If the Ram, Motherboard or Video were faulty the chances are XP would throw up errors during installation
I would try another power supply (a decent one) & see how you go
If it still locks up then you have no option but to start replacing everything one by one.
A process of elimimation unfortunately