PDA

View Full Version : LCD v CRTs

TonyF
06-01-2005, 11:02 PM
A long time ago ( like last year) Metla suggested in a post that in terms of screen viewing area, LCDs were now close to CRTs in price. If we wanted a 15" LCT to replace a 17" CRT, what would be a recommendation. ( of course, nip off to Wanganui ???)

Cheers Tony

Cicero
06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
A long time ago ( like last year) Metla suggested in a post that in terms of screen viewing area, LCDs were now close to CRTs in price. If we wanted a 15" LCT to replace a 17" CRT, what would be a recommendation. ( of course, nip off to Wanganui ???)

Cheers Tony
Hold on for bit a yet,not quite the time.Say 12 months!

~sy~
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Hold on for bit a yet,not quite the time.Say 12 months!
Why?

And also, go for 17" LCDs. The 15" are about $330 compared with 17" which start at $380. As many people will be able to tell you, the CMV branded monitors that these are are not cheap monitors. On a LCD, you will get the 'real' viewing area as described, where as on a 17" CRT, you'd probably only get 15.9/16/16.1" viewing area.

I think now is a good time to buy -although I must also admit that better things always keep coming out.

Cicero
06-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Why?

And also, go for 17" LCDs. The 15" are about $330 compared with 17" which start at $380. As many people will be able to tell you, the CMV branded monitors that these are are not cheap monitors. On a LCD, you will get the 'real' viewing area as described, where as on a 17" CRT, you'd probably only get 15.9/16/16.1" viewing area.

I think now is a good time to buy -although I must also admit that better things always keep coming out.
Why, I hear you cry,they will get better and cheaper and there is nowt wrong with my CRT.

~sy~
06-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Why, I hear you cry,they will get better and cheaper and there is nowt wrong with my CRT.
Off course! That goes with practically anything! If you don't need to save space, then there is no reason why you need a LCD monitor. I have heard CRT perform better for gaming, etc.

Just make sure you get a LCD with good response time .. if you ever get round to it. I recommend any CMV branded monitor :D... I'm sure many others would too!

E|im
06-01-2005, 11:52 PM
They are dirt cheap at the moment. I'd get in while the exchange rate is good.

phylip
07-01-2005, 02:50 AM
i bought my cmv 17 inch monitor a few months ago for 420 including freight
really good crystal clear monitor great for pc gasmes

drb1
07-01-2005, 05:10 AM

Cheers Tony

There are a lot of cheap lcds around at the moment. If your going to buy LCD.

1 Go 17" or more (Or the money is not justified).

2 Buy quality, the cheap 15" lcd's are glut stock, some of them MAY have the same low life expectancy as the cheap 17-19 crt's and the same uneconic repair status 18 to 48 months out.

The quality units SHOULD be in the 6 to 10 year life expectancy zone, still, thats what you pay for upfront.

Anything you can buy a 3 or 4 year extended warranty for is a good starter.

Dosent mean you have to buy the warranty but its an indicator of the suppliers/manufacturers willingness to support the product in the longer term.

D.

Quality never totally goes out of style.

Pato
07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Make sure you get a Zero Bright Pixel warranty. I just purchased a Philips 17 inch model that had a bright pixel and was replaced under warranty.