PDA

View Full Version : remvoign IE

Mirddes
06-01-2005, 08:22 PM
how do i uninstall IE

TonyF
06-01-2005, 08:26 PM
You can't really - it is a built in part of Windows OS. But there is a site which takes out part of it.. Best ignore it and use your other favourite browser.
Tony

Mirddes
06-01-2005, 08:33 PM
by "part of" what do you mean?
enough to make it so its impossible to use?

tweak'e
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
depnds on your OS a bit. there is a prog called IEeradicator which can remove it in some OS's. for XP look for XPlite.

however just be aware some third party progs will refuse to install if they can't find IE.

Mirddes
06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
well thats their problem then =D
thanks

TonyF
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
by "part of" what do you mean?

The last time I read the stuff about this, the fix took out the visible ( screen) part of IE. But the basic prog of IE and OE and Explorer are all interlaced. Maybe best course is to ignore it.
Cheers Tony

johnboy
06-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Try this http://www.litepc.com/download.htmlhth

drb1
07-01-2005, 12:00 AM
well thats their problem then =D
thanks

Mirddes,

Go back and search chills post's in the old forum, he wrote an insrruction for this, very simple.

More importantly easily reversable. If you change Firefox to your default brouser is it really nessecary to remove Disease E, unless others also use your system.

If you want to use Windows direct updates for some strange reason you will need Disease E. also some other Sites/Utilities/Scans only work through Disease E.

These sites will probably change in the future as the percentage of Firefox users continues to grow.

D.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
If you search for the HowTo I wrote for Firefox & Thunderbird, as drb1 said it'll help.

I would be inclined to install WinXP SP2 and then enable Automatic Updates (But set it to prompt you before installing them, as you dont want any IE related ones that may corrupt Firefox). You can then sit back and enjoy surfing, safe in the knowledge that you're saving yourself and the other users many hassles of todays internet surfing :)

Chill.

chiefnz
07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that if you uninstall Internet Explorer or partly remove it or whatever then Windows Update will not work. I tried pasting the Windows Update link into firefox and she woudln't go at all.

So having said that and if it's true, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to uninstall or partly remove Internet Explorer from Windows as you will not be able to access the Windows Update site.

just a thought.

cheers

chiefnz

tweak'e
07-01-2005, 02:46 PM
windows update only works with IE. i don't know if anyone has got it working with firefox/thirdparty activeX yet.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Nah, you're right, which is why you install WinXP SP2 first coz then you've got Auto-Updates and dont needa go to Windows Update.

Windows Update _does_ work without it :)

This is why you simply rename the "Internet Explorer" folder to "Dead Weight" or something ;)

Morgenmuffel
07-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I had a machine with xplite on it with no ie and windows update worked fine through firefox or opera (can't remember which)

tweak'e
07-01-2005, 03:30 PM
got any details there nigel? i would be interested to see how you have got it to work.
i have tried opera with mead (activeX plugin) with no joy. also if you can get windows update to work through firefox or opera whats stopping any nasties from doing the same ???

Morgenmuffel
07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
OK possibly my mistake
I think I was actually grabbing clipart from the msoffice online thing not windows update although I will double check as i do have vague memories of getting some patch for office 2000 clipart manager from the same site

aarggh someone prove me right, I don't feel like carrying the computer downstairs to hook up to the net just to check if it works

Prescott
07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
you will still need IE for some websites, i still have to use IE for sites that dont work for firefox, there are only a few....

Vince
08-01-2005, 03:29 AM
I just have ZoneAlarm block IE. It can't do a thing. Vince

bsssst
08-01-2005, 04:10 AM
I just have ZoneAlarm block IE. It can't do a thing. Vince

Vince,

I tend to have it blocking all out going except, what is required to run firefox, but firefox itself is also blocked.

Nothing gets out without authority that way.