PDA

View Full Version : *cough* Xtra Jetstream *cough*

DRHILL
06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
OK, I live 15 kms out of Palmerston North (in the country) and was checking if I can get Jetstream (a person can survive on a 28.8k connection for so long).
Used the online line checker, a message comes back saying "Jetstream is avaliable in your area, however futher checking may be necassary" I e-mailed them, xtra come back saying "Jetstream Wireless is my only option at the moment" (AT $100.00 Plus per month).
Now, what really annoyed me was that my friend (who has Jetstream), lives in Bulls 30 mins away from Palmerston North.
And no, I'm not in a difficult area, it's VERY ANNOYING!!!

robsonde
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
it all to do with the cable from your place to the local exchange and such like.

if you want to get clasic ADSL then all you have to do is pay telecom 175K so they can run a fiber 15Km to your house :-)

Prescott
06-01-2005, 07:59 PM
welcome to the real world, i cant even get any broadband....yet, i can get woosh soon when the have finished building the towers around the place

Ash M
06-01-2005, 08:11 PM
OK, I live 15 kms out of Palmerston North (in the country) and was checking if I can get Jetstream (a person can survive on a 28.8k connection for so long).
Used the online line checker, a message comes back saying "Jetstream is avaliable in your area, however futher checking may be necassary" I e-mailed them, xtra come back saying "Jetstream Wireless is my only option at the moment" (AT $100.00 Plus per month).
Now, what really annoyed me was that my friend (who has Jetstream), lives in Bulls 30 mins away from Palmerston North.
And no, I'm not in a difficult area, it's VERY ANNOYING!!!

What about Ihug sattelite?

rodb
07-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Just a little tale re Telecom.
At a place where I do some work, about 6 months ago Telecom tested the line and said the place was too far away from the exchange and broadband wasn't possible.
In early December the manager rang Telecom to enquire whether there had been any change to the situation and was told it was still not possible for the firm to get broadband. The manager commented in closing that the firm would therefore have to install Woosh.
The following day a Telecom technician arrived, fitted some gear to the phone line, installed a splitter, and announced that Jetstream was now connected. The firm's IT consultant was called, came the following day, installed the necessary modem, and had everything set up within an hour.
How many other porkies does Telecom tell?

godfather
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Beyond a certain distance it really is "hit and miss" as to ADSL working relaibly. If the company was outside the known and accepted distance, then the response may have been correct. Only an on-site test would actually confirm the useability or otherwise of Jetstream.

You have to see it from the Telecom perspective as well, as once they have accepted the installation they then have to support it. If it's a marginal signal and required ongoing service calls, nobody would win.

rodb
07-01-2005, 12:40 PM
The point is that Telecom tested the line and said Jetstream was impossible, and later confirmed that by phone.
After competition was mentioned they suddenly found that it was possible.

godfather
07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Sorry, didn't realise they had already done an "on site" inspection in the first case.

Telecom are apparently now "experimenting" with higher design levels of ADSL signal at the exchange to increase the range. Wonder if this is one of those?

I cannot think of any logical reason why the service would be withheld for non-technical reasons, as its all increased revenue.

Prescott
07-01-2005, 06:35 PM
isnt there a radius that you need to be in, in order to get jetstream? 3kms from the exchange?

godfather
08-01-2005, 10:30 AM
isnt there a radius that you need to be in, in order to get jetstream? 3kms from the exchange?
Yes, which was the point I was making, if the connection is at the limit it can be reasonable to say it's "not available" as it may turn out to be unreliable.

Unless they were able to increase the level somehow, in which case it can be useable. But that technology approach is very recent and under trial.