PDA

View Full Version : Adobe 7 = is it still SLOW ?

Woof
06-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Anyone seen any news about the performance of the lateset Adobe 7 reader ?

Is it as dreadfully slow to boot-up as version 6 ? :horrified

Are there any alternative "readers" that perform briskly and handle pdf files ? ;)

Happy New Year

Safari
06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Anyone seen any news about the performance of the lateset Adobe 7 reader ?

Is it as dreadfully slow to boot-up as version 6 ? :horrified

Are there any alternative "readers" that perform briskly and handle pdf files ? ;)

Happy New Year

I believe version 7 does load faster but still slow.
You might like to try PDF SpeedUp 1.42 (311KB, Freeware)
http://www.acropdf.com/

godfather
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Version 7 seems much faster loading than Version 6, but that may be hardware dependent.

johnboy
06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
ave a look at this reader here.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
hth

ninja
06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
ave a look at this reader here.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
hthNice... I'll take that over a 19MB bloatware anyday!

Might try and package it up into an installer for our clients.

Greg
06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Slightly off-topic - is version 7 any reason to upgrade from 5?

ninja
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Slightly off-topic - is version 7 any reason to upgrade from 5?
I wouldn't say so. Upgrading to 6.0 was a mistake - bloat ++ and all the automagic updates, and features this, print servers that.

agent
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm still using Acrobat Reader 4.0, I went back to it after finding version 6.0 far too slow.

Tony
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I've just done a 5-minute evaluation on an oldish (450mhz PIII with 384mb RAM) machine and it seems to me that Adobe Reader 7 is as fast as PDFReader, and it renders text and graphics better. In addition, in the document I was looking at, PDFReader did not use the correct font for some of the text - why I don't know and haven't tried to find out.

It also may be (although I can't check this), that documents created with Acrobat 7 will not be readable by PDFReader, unless they are very quick on their toes about keeping up with Adobe.

Prescott
06-01-2005, 06:04 PM
system requirements i found from pdfzone for adobe 7:

Acrobat 7 is no lightweight contender for your electronic documents and forms publishing needs. Here’s what you need under the hood--at minimum--to run it on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, XP Home or Tablet PC Edition:

* Intel Pentium-class processor
* Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2; Windows XP Professional, XP Home, or Tablet PC Edition
* 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended)
* 385 MB of available hard-disk space; optional installation files cache (recommended) requires an additional 385 MB of available hard-disk space
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
* 800 x 600 screen resolution
* CD-ROM drive
* Internet connection or phone call required for product activation

agent
06-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Adobe Acrobat 7 is different from Adobe Reader 7 though, or whatever they're calling it now.

Tony
06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
system requirements i found from pdfzone for adobe 7:

[i]Acrobat 7 is no lightweight contender for your electronic documents and forms publishing needs.
But is that talking about Acrobat 7 - the full PDF creation product, or what is being discussed here - Acrobat Reader 7 - which is a totally different beast?

Woof
06-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Thank you, people
Er, um aah yes, I was actually referring to READER, but there may have been some who were interested in the whole damn shebang program, but I HAVE to use the reader for economic reports and it v.7 is just so damn slow I loathe to use it

Maybe I should just dig out and old cover cd and reinstall an early version.

At the office that would be a simple work around without going near the policy against non-main-brand product and no modifications such as PDF Speedup would entail.

agent
06-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I'd personally suggest you grab version 4.x from oldversion.com (http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat) - it's got all the normal features you could possibly want for everyday use, but without the bloat.

Jen
06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Just be aware that some PDF documents may not open in an older reader version. I've struck this at work where we have version 5.1 as default, and had to install 6.0 in order to view the document.

agent
07-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Some PDF documents may not open in an older reader version
Pfft. Who needs the newer features anyway? Anyone producing PDF documents that aren't backwards compatible should be flogged. :p