View Full Version : Diff Between Pioneer DVD RW's

noone
05-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Guess whos back .....

Anyway , there are these two pioneer dvd writers

Pioneer DVR-A08XLA 16X DVD +/-R/RW 4x Dual Laye

Pioneer DVR-A08 16x DVD+R 16x DVD-R 4x DVD+-RW

They both have duel layer same write speeds , look etc

The only difference i see is the price ( a08 is more expensive ) can someone please enlighten me on this

Murray P
05-01-2005, 11:16 PM
No sorry, but I wouldn't consider either as a purchase.

noone
06-01-2005, 09:19 AM
what would you consider then , ( dual layer 4x , +- dvdr 16x )

Shortcircuit
06-01-2005, 10:43 AM
The Lite On SOHW1633S got good review (best bang for your buck) on I think PC World.com and it's cheaper than the Pioneer by a lot. Apparently has good rewrite speeds in comparison.

No, i don't have one, but it's the one I'm thinking of getting after looking around at reviews.

It's listed on the Ascent site. a note about being 'incompatible with some media'... I understand this is not a problem with the latest firmware upgrade.

HTH

Short

noone
06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
arrr so confusing

anyway here are my choices

Pioneer DVR-A08XLA 16X DVD +/-R/RW 4x Dual Layer

NEC ND-3500 DVD Dual-Layer 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW

Asus DRW-1604P, DVD Writer, DVD 16R/16W/4RW, CD 40R/32W/24RW, Internal, IDE, Black

Murray P - why dont you think the pioneer drives are good , i heard they use the nec chip and a recent firmware release gave it all the features the chip can offer

autechre
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I would rate them in this order:

NEC 3500 - not necessarily the quickest but will give you the best writing results, followed closely by...
Pioneer A08 - which is based on same/similar chipset as the NEC
Asus - not read up much about them, but previous drives aren't as highly regarded as the NEC for writing.

Check CD Freaks (http://www.cdfreaks.com/) and CDR Info (http://www.cdrinfo.com/) for reviews & infomation.

Davesdad
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
The Lite On SOHW1633S got good review (best bang for your buck) on I think PC World.com and it's cheaper than the Pioneer by a lot. Apparently has good rewrite speeds in comparison.

No, i don't have one, but it's the one I'm thinking of getting after looking around at reviews.

It's listed on the Ascent site. a note about being 'incompatible with some media'... I understand this is not a problem with the latest firmware upgrade.

HTH

Short
The SOHW 1633s has been replaced by the SOHW 1653s which increases dual layer writing speed to 4x at the same price.

Shortcircuit
07-01-2005, 03:10 PM
The SOHW 1633s has been replaced by the SOHW 1653s which increases dual layer writing speed to 4x at the same price.

Thanks for that info Davesdad... they are both listed on the Ascent site. Doesn't appear to be any difference except the write speed.

Hopefully if I put it off for another month they will bring one out with a built in camera and interchangeable face plates ;)

noone
07-01-2005, 03:53 PM
after reading a few reviews comparing the pioneer drive ( $240 ) and the NEC drive ( $170 ) it seems the NEC comes out on top , faster cd writing speeds and dvd writing , Pioneer takes the cake for cd / dvd reading but you wouldnt normally use a rw drive for your reader

E|im
07-01-2005, 03:57 PM
The NEC does quite well in this (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260) review. Quality (no errors) is always better than speed IMO.

noone
07-01-2005, 04:41 PM
good brands like pioneer and Nec with good dvdrw always have very good quality IMO its mostly the media , i think the extra price on the pionner drive is for the quiet drive technology and the cool look

Jen
07-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The Pioneer A08XLA is just a retail version of the A08, and as you say has a more flasher face plate and the quiet drive technology. So you pay for the cosmetic extra's as both burn and function the same. I have the NEC 3500a drive, and it is certainly quiet to use anyway - it is also a tad plain looking but I was buying for quality and performance and not its looks :p

Murray P
11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
To get back to you Noone. The Pioneer does use the NEC chips, as do a lot of other drives, but not all the functionality of the chip is drawn out by the rest of the hardware and the drivers/firmware.

I have an NEC 3500 which I'm very pleased with, it's good all rounder, but the DVD RW drives are moving so fast it is obsolete already, although a firmware upgrade will probably get over that for awhile as the firmware coupled with the chip is the main driving force of a drives capabilities, as far as I can tell, without the application of major hardware or format advances.

The chip and firmware (upgrade) is nicely illustrated by one manufacturers recent, latest and greatest model (using an NEC chip BTW) being exactly the same inside as the previous model, the only difference being a firmware upgrade and a bigger price, ouch! :( for the poor sods who didn't do their homework or got sucked by the salesman, but the smart ones bought the old model at a discount and simply upgraded the firmware :D . Then again they wern't smart enough to get the NEC drive which is better than both.

noone
12-01-2005, 12:44 AM
and here i was thinking that it having duel layer was up to date , what other new tech is coming out that will make this drive obsolete apart from HD dvd which isnt expected for a while anyway

Murray P
12-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Maybe just speed and accuracy boosts with perhaps a pinch of compatibility, or not ;)

Cicero
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Maybe just speed and accuracy boosts with perhaps a pinch of compatibility, or not ;)

Definitely worth a wait in my case.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I got the Asus 1604P, the other day. Not a bad burner. Cheaper than the NEC or Pioneer (if those prices excluded GST). If not, then cheaper than the Pioneer.

Not too worried about the cdr/rw speeds. I'll just use this burner for DVD's and the faster one just for cd's.

I was going to get the Pioneer, but since most of the things in this are Asus, I thought I might as well stick with Asus. I had a Pioneer burner previously the A06. Which is still here now, doing nothing.

eamon31
03-04-2005, 11:43 PM
I want to burn an ISO image with a size of 4,153 and I tried using Nero Burning Rom Ultra Edition but it didn't work. The disc that I am using is a DVD-RW 4.7G 4x and its a imation. Please can someone help. Nero wont recognise my disc.