PDA

View Full Version : XP Home log in problems

Simon Tirikatene
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
When XP Home loads - there is a message : "To begin, click user name".
My user name has just dissappeared? The screen is blank where it used to be?
I do not use a password on this laptop. Usually just click the user name and I am in.
Am trying to avoid reloading operating system repair disk - there must be an easier way to correct problem. Currently, I can't get into the laptop because of the lack of user name access. Thanks, Simon Tirikatene

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Can you log in using safe mode??

Simon Tirikatene
05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
No - unfortunately, that didn't work either. Haven't tried safe mode command prompt - but wouldn't know what to try in there?
Nothing has been changed in the Bios either - Thanks, simon

drb1
05-01-2005, 09:29 PM
No - unfortunately, that didn't work either. Haven't tried safe mode command prompt - but wouldn't know what to try in there?
Nothing has been changed in the Bios either - Thanks, simon

A few days back there is a thread about loging on as administrator in xp home.

in it some one stated repeated entry of a key sequence possibly 'ctrl_alt -delete" would bring up the standard 2k/nt login screen.

havent tried it yet, check the thread may be other key sequence.

D.

Simon Tirikatene
05-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep tried that - Ctrl/ alt/ del does bring up a login option - with my user name - but also requests a password - and of course I havent set one up - so it got me from that angle also :groan: Thanks for your reply, Simon

drb1
05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Yep tried that - Ctrl/ alt/ del does bring up a login option - with my user name - but also requests a password - and of course I havent set one up - so it got me from that angle also :groan: Thanks for your reply, Simon

Try changing user name to Administrator and then pressing enter/ok with no password as this is supposed to be the default in XP Home.

Aso try this in safe mode.

D.

beama
05-01-2005, 10:44 PM
try owner or Owner with no password as well

Simon Tirikatene
05-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Nope! - normal or safe mode - still requests a password - have varied the upper and lower case combos of "Administrator" but still no luck - thanks for the idea Simon

Simon Tirikatene
05-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Owner/ owner won't work either - :mad: feel like going back to Win 98 - Simon

HadO
05-01-2005, 11:02 PM
That's strange - through safe mode Administrator should work without a password on XP Home! This is a built in account and you CANNOT put a password on it as far as I'm aware...

beama
05-01-2005, 11:06 PM
has anyone else got access to this computer and use it, if so have a chat with them.
do search on google for "xp lost login password" you never know

drb1
05-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Owner/ owner won't work either - :mad: feel like going back to Win 98 - Simon

You or someone else has changed the logon style or given the unit a password.

What is in their that is vitall??

D,

Simon Tirikatene
06-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I have my most recent office data - probably by not being able to access excel & word I am back to late december on my laptop. Still a lot of work to recover if I can't get in soon.
My user name appears where it is suggested to type Administrator - so I have to wipe over that and type Administrator - but I suspect it is still only accepting the original user name
Thanks, Simon

ILikeLinux
06-01-2005, 07:43 AM
That's strange - through safe mode Administrator should work without a password on XP Home! This is a built in account and you CANNOT put a password on it as far as I'm aware... That would be a massive security risk, if Administrator could not have a password.
IIRC "Administrator" has to have a password on NT,2000,Xp.

drcspy
06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
you could try a 'repair' install of xp using the cd this'll leave the existing system in place including all your work/docs/'progs etc but *should* at the end of it setup the admin account wiht the default no password..........just start the pc with the disk then go thru as if you are installing windoze.......at some point early on in the piece it'll give you the choice of a 'clean install' or a 'repair' install.........take the 'repair' option........

FoxyMX
06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
you could try a 'repair' install of xp using the cd this'll leave the existing system in place including all your work/docs/'progs etc
I think I once lost the contents of the My Documents folder when I did a repair install of Windows XP. From memory it gives you a warning of this possibility although it doesn't always happen.

drcspy
06-01-2005, 09:15 AM
hmm..........i've done several repair installs and never noticed that..........anywya it's pretty easy to write your docs onto cd before you do the repair

godfather
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
This highlights one aspect of higher file security Windows versions such as XP.

Unless you really need to do so, never ever store your work in the "My Documents" area. All it takes is a corrupt profile to occur and its very easy to lose all documents that are stored under that profile.

I have seen HDD having to be sent to forensic recovery experts for this reason at great cost.

I recommend creating a new directory under C: \ and well away from the Documents and Settings-My Documents tree if access security is not required.

FoxyMX
06-01-2005, 09:31 AM
anywya it's pretty easy to write your docs onto cd before you do the repair
Not in Simon's case, unfortunately. :(

Simon Tirikatene
06-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Tried the PC manufacturers help line and was told that there is no way I can do anything short of a full operating system reinstall. Was trying to avoid that as I am going to run into driver problems with apps and hardware.
Thought XP would be above this sort of problem - nothing I have done seems to link in with how this problem happened - the log in just disappeared?
Thanks everyone for your comments, Simon :confused:

drcspy
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
if as you say you cant access windoze.......get a copy of ghost on floppy and ghost the drive to cd first before you start playing round with it that way you got nothing to lose.........i OFTEN do this........

Cicero
06-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Quite interesting how these seemingly simple things stump the experts.

drb1
07-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Quite interesting how these seemingly simple things stump the experts.

Severall of us including chill can get into it but the rules are against discussing this here.

A search link/sujjestion was posted that will give some good pointers.

Manufacturers help lines and M/s are less than helpfull in these situations for obvious reasons.

If it is sent somewhere with real IT staff it can be fixed but they will charge savagely because they can.

Some searching of this forum will show most of the relevent tools if the user is skilled enough for them.

Part of the post relating to data recovery sujjests he is not, these tools are dangerous in unskilled hands.

D.

Metla
07-01-2005, 01:17 AM
That would be a massive security risk, if Administrator could not have a password.
IIRC "Administrator" has to have a password on NT,2000,Xp.

Welcome to the world of XP Home edition.

Had a comp in today,I asked about passords when it was dropped off and i was assured there were none.

Fired it up and bingo, Needed password to boot into the user account, Restarted her is safe mode,Logged in as admin (which has no password) then went into control panel and with one click of the mouse.....removed the pw from the owners account.

Which I'm sure won't go down real well when they pick it up...... :eek:

Alternativly i could have used a boot cd that displays user passwords. :eek:

Ringing them would have been my first choice but that was impossible in this case.....

drb1
07-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the world of XP Home edition.

Had a comp in today,I asked about passords when it was dropped off and i was assured there were none.

Fired it up and bingo, Needed password to boot into the user account, Restarted her is safe mode,Logged in as admin (which has no password) then went into control panel and with one click of the mouse.....removed the pw from the owners account.

Which I'm sure won't go down real well when they pick it up...... :eek:

Alternativly i could have used a boot cd that displays user passwords. :eek:

Ringing them would have been my first choice but that was impossible in this case.....

Metla,

Thats what Puzzelse me in this one. home should be, f8, admin, in.

His username is gone and f8 isnt playing.

Sombody has done something to it, its infected, its pro?

Its been given a whole or partial pro upgrade?

It can be entered buy doot disks still, one assumes?

D.

Metla
07-01-2005, 01:42 AM
The data on his harddisk will be accesable with a boot disc, I would guess that the portion of his registry that contains his user profiles (including the admin account) has been corupted though.....

drb1
07-01-2005, 02:16 AM
The data on his harddisk will be accesable with a boot disc, I would guess that the portion of his registry that contains his user profiles (including the admin account) has been corupted though.....

Metla,

In which case salvage all data and thourough Scandisk/manufacturers disk check before considering next courses of possible action?

D.

Simon Tirikatene
08-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone!

I resorted to a full system reload - repair mode didn't work.

As the reload formats c: I lost everything - but at least I am underway again.
I did have backups of important stuff up to mid December - so can, over a few days rebuild my data from hard copies. I never learn that backups to disc have got to be carried out almost daily.

Hell! - I used to do it daily with 3.1 - but got complacent with newer OS's as you assume they are past that sort of problem.

Thanks again guys!!!, Simon

pc_doctor
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
When XP Home loads - there is a message : "To begin, click user name".
My user name has just dissappeared? The screen is blank where it used to be?
I do not use a password on this laptop. Usually just click the user name and I am in.
Am trying to avoid reloading operating system repair disk - there must be an easier way to correct problem. Currently, I can't get into the laptop because of the lack of user name access. Thanks, Simon Tirikatene
Press F8 into save mode and then log into administator
then go to user accounts
have a look in there for yours and change it (username or password) if so remove it
hope this helps. come back to me if it doesnt

PcNut
08-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Press F8 into save mode and then log into administator
then go to user accounts
have a look in there for yours and change it (username or password) if so remove it
hope this helps. come back to me if it doesnt

Did you actually read any of this thread?

pc_doctor
08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Did you actually read any of this thread?
Didnt see this last page

Cicero
08-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I think we have a genius here.