PDA

View Full Version : Speed Touch Pro and wireless

hotkiwi
05-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi,
Need some advice. Live currently in a house where I use Jetstream Starter with a Speed Touch Pro ADSL modem, cat V cabled network with 3 PC's in it. Works a treat.
Now I move to a more rural area (Coatesville), where ADSL is available (acc to Telecom website).
There is no cabling in that house. Am obviously thinking of going wireless.
Question: would it be wise to recable the whole house (please say no, that would be stupid), or shall I go wireless/ what installation then? And is there still use for my poor Speed Touch Pro Modem (great modem BTW).

Thanks!

Johan,
North Shore

godfather
05-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I use a Speed Touch Pro ADSL router with wireless and wired LAN connections

I have a 10 port hub connected to the router, with one port feeding a Belkin Wireless Air Point.
Other ports on the hub feed wired PC's and printers. The laptop connects wirelessly via the WAP

hotkiwi
05-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Godfather,
But then, your SpeedToch is hooked to the copper Telecom line, and the Belkin radioing the signal? Doesn't the Belkin have his own router? What standard do you use and are you happy with it? important speed difference wireless or cable in your config?
thanks!

johan

godfather
05-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Of course the Speedtouch is connected to the copper. The WAP is just a WAP, not a Wireless ADSL Router. The Speedtouch is a good router and I saw no justification to replace it. I need wired links for some devices.

It's just an 802.11b (11 Mb) link, and its very slow in comparison the the 100 Mb wired link. Slow for large LAN file transfer but of course its still plenty fast enough for an ADSL data transfer at 256kb.

You will probably be underwhelmed at the range of wireless. Don't count on more than about 30 metres inside, less depending on the amount of steel or wiring in the walls...