PDA

View Full Version : Three really annoying windows problems

Agent_24
05-01-2005, 12:43 AM
There have recently been some rather annoying problems occuring with my windows XP Home (Sp2)

1) There is an option in the task manager, called "Always on top". we all know what it does. The problem is that other windows, such as IE, and explorer seem to want to be "Always on top" as well. this happens for no reason, I am just using my IE or whatever and suddenly it refuses to let me look at anything else (Winkey + D, then click down on the taskbar does work though)

2) Recently my icons have been re-arranging themselves at random intervals, nothing to do with "sort by name" or "Sort by size". they just move, and what's really strange is they always go to the same place. ( I have never seen them do this, just minimized word and noticed they had moved)
They don't re-arrange as they would if you decreased the resolution on a full desktop, they just swap places.

3)The date keeps changing to 1905. This is REALLY stupid. It has been happening ever since I bought my first XP computer a few years ago (not actually to 1905 then, just to 1901 or 1902, to keep with 2001/2002 etc.

This only seems to happen when there is a rollover to a new year, (no, it's not the bios battery, happend on three different computers, all batteries are perfectly fine)
eventually it stops after about a month, as I recall. (Thought MS might have put out a patch, but it doesn't seem like it)

this is the most annoying as whenever this happens, half my programs crash and a demo program expired itself with error "you have changed the date to attempt a defeat of the protection".

Thought I would just post this as a way of venting my annoyance, but hopefully someone can help with at least one of the problems....

drb1
05-01-2005, 12:59 AM
There have recently been some rather annoying problems occuring with my windows XP Home (Sp2)

1) There is an option in the task manager, called "Always on top". we all know what it does. The problem is that other windows, such as IE, and explorer seem to want to be "Always on top" as well. this happens for no reason, I am just using my IE or whatever and suddenly it refuses to let me look at anything else (Winkey + D, then click down on the taskbar does work though)

2) Recently my icons have been re-arranging themselves at random intervals, nothing to do with "sort by name" or "Sort by size". they just move, and what's really strange is they always go to the same place. ( I have never seen them do this, just minimized word and noticed they had moved)
They don't re-arrange as they would if you decreased the resolution on a full desktop, they just swap places.

3)The date keeps changing to 1905. This is REALLY stupid. It has been happening ever since I bought my first XP computer a few years ago (not actually to 1905 then, just to 1901 or 1902, to keep with 2001/2002 etc.

This only seems to happen when there is a rollover to a new year, (no, it's not the bios battery, happend on three different computers, all batteries are perfectly fine)
eventually it stops after about a month, as I recall. (Thought MS might have put out a patch, but it doesn't seem like it)

this is the most annoying as whenever this happens, half my programs crash and a demo program expired itself with error "you have changed the date to attempt a defeat of the protection".

Thought I would just post this as a way of venting my annoyance, but hopefully someone can help with at least one of the problems....

Do some very serious malwares scans including stinger and hijack this.

Could be some odd bug that is date sensative like CIH.

The allways on top issues indicate either damaged files or hijack type activity.

This is all IMHO.

D.

Fergie
05-01-2005, 09:00 AM
lol, yea, these don't sound like everyday windows problems!
I have only had the 2nd problem b4, and after a full virus scan, deleted a virus, it was all better.
I recommend you do the same, + adaware, +spybot, and then another virus scan (all with lastest def's)

Graham L
05-01-2005, 03:56 PM
The date problem is an odd one. The BIOS stores the year in two places, each holding two digits (in BCD if anyone cares): "Century", which isn't changed when years tick over (it wasn't worth anyone's time to put the code in for an event which happens only once every hundred years), and "Year" which is incremented each year.

Century is reset to "19" when the BIOS is completely reset ("cleared"), but usually the year will be set to "00", too, when that happens. If it's retaining the years part, it's probably not a dead battery, which is usually the cause of "wrong date" problems.

However, if you haven't ever (in a couple of years) replaced the "CMOS" battery, it might be worth a try, if antivirus work doesn't remove this problem along with some of the others.