i use EasyTune4 to check the temp

Ash M
04-01-2005, 08:23 PM
i think my CPU is running too hot

i have an AMD Athlon Xp 3200+

wat is the basic temp

mine is running around 54 - 56 degrees celcius

I posted a thread recently as my Semperon 2500+ is running at 58 degrees....
That isn't dangerously hot.

What does the bios report it as?

Make sure the fan/heatsink is on properly, and there is not too much, or too little thermal paste on the CPU core.

I'd also invest in a case fan ($8 from DSE) which dropped the temp reported on mine by about 3 degrees.

jus.need.help
04-01-2005, 08:34 PM
i typed it wrong it now reaches temp between 54 - 60 degrees celcsius..

i have a fan in the power supply at the back a fan on the cpu & a fan on the front of the case..
i have now removed one side of the case & am running a 30cm fan into it..

jus.need.help
04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
does any 1 have any suggestions of heatsink/fan combo's or any suggestions on wat i shud use as cooling in the computer?

Prescott
04-01-2005, 08:43 PM
how about if you purchase some more fans? those 120mm fans are dirt cheap these days, it seems to me you need more air flow through the case, is your cpu overclocked?

are you using a standard HSF?

jus.need.help
04-01-2005, 08:48 PM
it is not overclocked it is still at the same 2.21GHZ speed i bought it at.. i am using the HSF that came standard with the processor

Prescott
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
it is not overclocked it is still at the same 2.21GHZ speed i bought it at.. i am using the HSF that came standard with the processor

yeah, you might aswell get a better HSF, dont have an AMD so i cant recommend a good one, but someone else here could, but still you need more air flow through your case, is your system a branded machine perhaps?

Murray P
04-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Although your reported temperature is a bit on the high side, it's not going to fry at that.

Is the temperature under laod, as in playing games, intensive CPU load or, at idle?

As stated, check the temperature reported in the BIOS, perhaps download and try a different monitoring programme. The "reported" temperatures are natoriously unreliable, they can not be trusted.

Who built the PC?

Cryhavoc
05-01-2005, 04:47 PM
My AMD 3000+ O/C about 200mhz only gets up to about 42 degrees under full load. I've got a massive case though, with good air cooling. And I have the stock HSF

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Ive got a Volcano9 and it keeps my nice and cool.... set you back around $35 from qmb.co.nz

Raikyn
05-01-2005, 05:52 PM
My athlon 3000 + xp runs at between about 50-56 degrees under a full load with stock cooling. So your temps sound about right if you're also under full load. :)

noone
05-01-2005, 06:56 PM
i got a volcano 9 to - good , if you are paranoid about weight get the volcano 10 as it it below 300g - dont know its preformance though. If you are not experining crashes etc dont worry so much but try get it lower ( having a fan on the bottom of the psu is always good )

Big John
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM

wat is the basic temp

My P4 3.2 is running around 68-70 degrees in this hot muggy weather when it is under full load playing games like Far Cry and the like. Idle is about 40 degrees. It is fully stable at this temp. In the winter in the colder weather it runs around 60 - 65 under the same load and 30-35 at idle.

jus.need.help
05-01-2005, 10:41 PM
thanx guys...
i have opened the case & running a fan into it.. so now it sits on about 50 idle & games

Elephant
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I use an AMD3200+

I don't use any fans apart from the CPU Fan, PSU Fans and VGA Fan.

Your temp for the CPU sounds reasonable to me.

What would I know? Ask Metla maybe.

Murray P
05-01-2005, 11:19 PM
thanx guys...
i have opened the case & running a fan into it.. so now it sits on about 50 idle & games

Don't bother with the open case and fan. If it's that much of a concern to you either get a better heatsink and fan or improve the efficiency of the case cooling.

Hibikisan
28-03-2005, 10:48 AM
:badpc: I have a Prescott 3.2Eghz and I can't seem to get it to run coller than 58/61*c under normal idle. It has spike up as high as 71/79*c and that was before i change out from the aerocooler heatsink and fan i bought for it. I know these things run hotter but I figured there was some even ground to this thing. I am considering water cooling to help is it worth it?

drcspy
28-03-2005, 11:04 AM
somethign i've noticed on quite a few systems i've been called to fix is the amount of dust that gets trapped under the cpu fan in the top of the heatsink fins........if you have a bit of dust in there it'll very effectively block the airflow from the heatsink fan into the heatsink and thus prevent efficient cooling......if that's what's happening then it wont matter what kind of extra fans you put in the system

JJJJJ
28-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I have an Athlon 64 3200+. Just idleing the temp is about 42. Under load it has got up to 54. Recently when room temp has been up to 30 my CPU has not gone over 55.
I installed an extra case fan, and it has made absolutely no difference to CPU.
Temp readings taken from Asus Probe.
At the moment CPU is 41 and motherboard is 33

pctek
28-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I have a Thermalright XP90 with a Vantec Stealth fan and max temp is 49% (under load).

For a socket A CPU they have a slightly different model:
http://www.overclockers.co.nz/product/cooler/tr/tr.shtml

Combined with a Vantec Stealth fan you get cool AND quiet.

Plus tidy up your cables, ideally have 2 fans - one front and back if you can, so that airflow is maximised.

Prescott
28-03-2005, 02:06 PM
rounded IDE cables are one of the best things i have brought recently for my pc, way better air flow.

Hibikisan
28-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I checked to see if I had all the latest updates for my giga-byte board GA-8IKXW and i;m good just done know what to do about the high cpu temp. It is now spiking between 56 to 70*c.

Running P4 3.2E 800mhz 1mb L2
1024 PC3200 centon
Nvidia 6600 256 AGP

Some specs to work with if anyone can help me figure this thing out. Been messing with this configuration for a month now. :yuck:

Big John
28-03-2005, 05:26 PM

wat is the basic temp

I have a P4 3.2Ghz and it runs at around 40 dgrees at idle but when it is stonking along playing games and the CPU is really working it gets up to around 72 degrees. It has a Zalman heatsink which reduce the temp by about 6 degrees.

However that is probably not the real temp as all the CPU's tend to get the temp wrong and overstate anyway. Have a look at some reviews about it and you find it could be up to 15 degrees out on some boards. Only way to be 100% sure is to put a proper heat sensor in it and check it that way but I wouldn't worry about your temps.

SaAB
28-03-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a AMD barton 2800+, when I first got this it was consistently getting up to 70 degrees celcius, but there was no stability issues. Still, being concerned about the high temperatures I took the system back to the store, they replaced the fan on the heatsink which dropped it a few degrees, however I've found the biggest difference made was just with time; the other day I had a system temperature of 48 and cpu temperature of 59. It makes me wonder if maybe there is some sort of run in effect with cpu's.

If you are looking for good cooling I would recomend a case with large fans at the front and rear; i've found that the fan at the top and side do nothing but expel cool air, whereas the back gets some real heat pumped out.

Big John
28-03-2005, 10:43 PM
however I've found the biggest difference made was just with time; the other day I had a system temperature of 48 and cpu temperature of 59. It makes me wonder if maybe there is some sort of run in effect with cpu's.

Ambient air temperature is the biggest factor. If the air going in is warm and humid then the cooling effect will be very small. You should notice quite a difference between summer and winter temperatures.

Murray P
29-03-2005, 12:36 AM
There can be some burn in effect, but as BJ says, ambient temp is a big facto,r plus load and the basic output of the CPU. Prescotts for eg are known to run on the warm side.

If you want to assist CPU cooling and you have the standard case confuration, a fan low down (usually front) and one high up (towards the rear) give the best airflow. Front to back will do mor for the video card, but if thats pumping out plenty which ends out at towards the top of the case where the CPU is, it's not a bad idea.

If your sucking in cooler air and blowing it straight out again, you ned to clear a route for your air to flow past the heat generating components then out the exhaust fan. It's also likely the fans are not postitioned correctly. If the fans are too close together the air will take a direct route between them and do little if anything towards cooling.

A decent exhaust fan is more important than intake fans, air will always get in (unless you seal the case), most cases are provided with pasive intakes at the bottom or front of the case. Seal up unused fan holes, particularly those in the rear pane (but not the ones at the front below the drive bays), you want to control as much as possible where the cooler air comes in and where heated air exits. A decent PSU and CPU HSF combo is usually enough for most systems and average use, if you have one of the hotter video cards some extra cooling on it will help especially if you play a few games.

JJJJJ
29-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Just as a point of interest. I have been useing my comp for about two hours this morning. Air temp at the moment is 17 degrees.
My CPU temp is 39 and m/b temp is 31.
That gives some idea of how external temp affects CPU temp.

tweak'e
29-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Air temp at the moment is 17 degrees.
My CPU temp is 39 and m/b temp is 31.

theres something seriously wrong with your case airflow or the sensors are not reading correctly.

Hibikisan
29-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Well I guess that is the best I can hope for it for now. The case temp stays around 20/25*c which seems pretty good but I am serching for a much larger case to allow for more air flow guess the six fans running isn't enough to do anything. Just seems I have had nothing but problems with this cpu on everything from weird windows behavior to the video errors with direct3d so I figured i just have too much of the wrong things trying to work together. Or I just lost my touch building these things and I have been at it for 5 years with awesome success.