PDA

View Full Version : PC game controllers- Types?

beetle
04-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi all,

During the recent spate of game playing on lemon, it is recommended to get another type of controller to use instead of the keyboard. The kids and hubby getting frustrated by the limited movement / control they have.

Options being a Joystick, or an adaptor for a playstation controller? Or ? beyond my knowledge.....

I was wondering what methods other Gamers use...... what would you recomend for young children and an adult to use?

Think realistic budget please.

This is new territory for me. and yes i did search but lots of help fix it threads popped up so not much help there......as i dont have one to fix yet.

:eek:

Thanxs,

b

Simply_Si
04-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Beetle,

I've just boiled the jug :lol: if you are interested?

The game controller really depends on the type of games you are looking at. If it is primarily flying types a joystick would be in order, but the wheels can be quite good for both the driving and flying except for the cost.

The children would possibly be more used to the gamepad type controller similar to the Playstation ones.

Perhaps if you could let us know the types of games the more enthusiastic members could give you some better ideas. :)

beetle
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
LOL

well at this stage we mainly have different car racing games, rally and street racing type.
May be getting more in the future at this rate,

was wanting something that stays permanently attached and set up on the pc, so no fiddlling fingers have to alter or change it back to ps controller- playstation etc.

clear as mud??????
yep me too. :stare:

Simply_Si
04-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Most game controllers use USB connectors these days. I can't remember if Lemon is new enough to have front mounted USB ports or not. If it does, it is a very simple matter of plugging the controller in when it is required.

You might like to check this DSE (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?41da2e3906f9ce68273fc0a87f990721+EN/catalogs/CTG0000098) page for some different types and prices for controllers. Perhaps your local PC Shop ;) might have them cheaper? The other to be weary of is whether the controller supports your operating system as some only support 9x or 2K/XP and not both.

With you mentioning driving games you really can't beat the wheel controllers, but I imagine that the budget wouldn't stretch that far? Personally, if it came down to coffee or a controller I'm sorry to say that the coffee wins hands down! :)

beetle
05-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Lemon doesnt have points at the front.

Nobody else has an idea or an example of what they use? :confused:

will go have a nosy at the shop i guess.

Thanxs Si......

Catweazle
05-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I would probably go for a gamepad type controller in your situation. They're relatively cheap. almost impossible to break and the kids should be comfortable with them if they're used to playing on ps2/xbox at all.

I suspect hubby would prefer a nice wheel for the racing games though. ;)

I myself use a sidewinder pro joystick, but it has its drawbacks in quite a few games. (rally driving with a joystick? Not easy...)

Metla
05-01-2005, 01:07 PM
As noted Joysticks are only or real use in Plane games,They can be used in everything but the experience ain't great.And unfortunatly a cheapish joystick is pretty crap.

The best option for driving games is a wheel,but again there use is limited to one genre and they are expensive (and a pain to clamp and unclamp to get to the KB)

The most versitle option is a gamepad with twin joysticks,They can be used in all games from platform games,sports,driving with good results,They are also probally the cheapest option.

Fergie
05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
if you do go with a gamepad, and u have a spare playstation controller - just get an adapter, i used to sell them a while ago for $20, but they're probably still on TM (Search for SmartJoy)
Its a good price - becuase if you brought a PC controller similar to a PS one (with 2 analog sticks, rumble etc) you'd pay $50+
I use mine for a ton of games, Colin McRae Rally, Need For Speed, NFL, and arcade games.

If you get a wheel, you'll only be able to use it in racing games, its gonna cost more, and you'll need to have the room, plus the fact that many ppl don't like using them, and if you're not a hardcore racing game fan, you might just want the more 'arcade style controller'

Prescott
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
why buy when you can make (http://modding.stylespc.com/Howto/howto6.html)

beetle
08-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Ok did the beat the feet today, and did not find any in a suitable priced ones in stock or otherwise.
same brand item, but not the one recomended was $99.00, as i didnt have $99.00 so it stayed there, but may have to go back if cannot get one elsewhere.

DS dont have any in stock, any sort. so would have to order one.
got dragged away from this shop so will have to go back at some point to order ......

nobody else has them, or if they do a no name brand, cheapie that has too many buttons and not a lot else.

frustrating day, and nothing to show for it........ may be simpler to just by a new ps2 controller and adapter........

just my useless update for ya.

b

Metla
08-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Hold up Beetle, I might source something for you next week.

beetle
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
ok let me know what or if ya do......

I can wait........

but ......Not $99.00 for the cheapie Harvey Normal a..... :p :p and then marked up a.......LOL

or what they term the cheapie......
:horrified
but it was logitech.......

b

Organicpete
08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
have a wee browse here :)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Joysticks-gamepads/mcat-0002-0362-0521-.htm

Pete