PDA

View Full Version : I'll ask again

JJJJJ
04-01-2005, 02:53 PM
cas rating 4. What does this mean? Is it any good?

Kingmax 512MB, DDR2-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR2-533. Anyone got an opinion.
Should I buy it?

Is the difference in quality between Kingmax and Corsair ram worth the difference in price?

Jack

ninja
04-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Why do you need to ask this again considering you only made a thread about this a few hours ago?

Also you should try and use descriptive thread titles - you might attract people that have knowledge on said topic if they can see what the thread is about.

Just in case you forgot, it's here:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52956

And try chucking your question into Google:
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=cas+rating+mean+RAM&btnG=Search&meta=

D. McG
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
CAS rating 4. What does this mean? Is it any good?

Apparently CAS ratings are all about how many clock cycles are needed for a RAM chip to fully read/write a particular word of data at a particular address (i.e. a single operation without burst mode), so better chips will have a lower CAS rating (I've heard of some at around 2-3) and therefore will be faster even though the memory clock rate may be the same.

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2005, 12:06 AM
End of the day though, memory speeds surpass that of most users - we need faster HDD's, as they are the bottleneck by-and-large.

Chill.

drb1
06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
End of the day though, memory speeds surpass that of most users - we need faster HDD's, as they are the bottleneck by-and-large.

Chill.

Chill,

Although there are Issues relating to read write re write life of flashdisk/memory cards how does the read write speed compare to hdd, across the board??

D.

JJJJJ
06-01-2005, 05:53 AM
So I can assume that the lower the CAS number the better the ram is??
But in view of chill's comment is there any real advantage in buying expensive ram when cheap ram does the work as fast as the comp. can handle it?
I'm about to rebuild a comp. and if I have any money left I might give it some new ram.
What make should I buy? I have been attracted to Corsair. But only because of it's price. "Something thar much dearer must be that much better." Stupid reasoning I know.
Jack

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, better it may be... Noticeable? Probably not... Worth the extra coinage? Spend your money elsewhere on better parts, or something like a bigger HDD, maybe a Thumbdrive, DVD RW... When I went from cheap 100Mhz SD-Ram to performance DDR333 Ram (My mobo supported both, runnin a 1.47Ghz AthlonXP 1700+) there was no real noticeable difference. Programs still loaded up same etc.

Multi tasking was marginably noticeable, but the reason I purchased it was because of a good price I got it for (2nd hand) and because it was a single 512MB Stick instead of my 2x 256mb ones. I was hoping to buy another shortly and get 1024MB Ram, but never bothered. My laptop is fine with 512 now :)

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Chill,

Although there are Issues relating to read write re write life of flashdisk/memory cards how does the read write speed compare to hdd, across the board??

D.

Errr..... Maybe its too early in the morning and my brain _is_ still waking up, butIm not sure I get what you mean.

There are RW issues with Flashcards? Well you can supposedly write to them only 10,000 times is that what you mean?

drb1
06-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Errr..... Maybe its too early in the morning and my brain _is_ still waking up, butIm not sure I get what you mean.

There are RW issues with Flashcards? Well you can supposedly write to them only 10,000 times is that what you mean?

10-000 times is the rewrite issue.

I meant are F/Disk's M/stick's faster to rewrite to, than say a 7200 rpm drive or even a 10-000 SCSI.

D.

Pete O'Neil
07-01-2005, 06:17 AM
RAM with a CAS rating of 4 is pretty crap, irrelivant of the performance benefits vs. cost, most cheap no name crap ram comes with a rating of atleast 3 and in some cases 2.5. Im surprised you can even buy CAS 4 ram, it might be a good idea to shop around and find some ram with better timings, it shouldnt be any more expensive.