PDA

View Full Version : CleanPort Postmaster

Marnie
04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Each time I try sending email, using my xtra server, to a friend who has a UK server, it is returned as NOT delivered stipulating "550 Administrative Prohibition".

There is no problem sending same email to others, who use different servers, nor any problem when I send same email using my msn hotmail.

It has been suggested that friend's server is picking up the word "xtra" as being something undesirable!! They may have been joking...I'm not sure.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks, Marnie

johnboy
04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Possible explaination can't find your exact error only the number

550 - Relaying not allowed
This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| <account name> Properties| Servers.

Another possible reason for this error is anti-virus software that configures OE to use a local proxy for the SMTP server. Since scanning e-mail is not necessary to protect your computer, you should disable the e-mail scan in your anti-virus product, and then re-enter the correct name for your SMTP server.
from
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/
hth

godfather
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
That suggests that the UK server has Xtra set on their "black list" for some reason.
Usually the reason is that it has been identified as a source of spam or relaying.

I suggest that you notify Xtra, as there is absolutely nothing you can do about it in your system.

Marnie
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks Johnboy and Godfather..

I have emailed xtra today, Godfather
and have saved the site to my favourites, Johnboy

Cheers,

Marnie