PDA

View Full Version : XP SP1 updates

Greg
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I really don't want SP2, but would like other updates, so if I go to Windows Update will it install SP2, or can I get latest updates and keep Sp1?

Thx

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Do a scan there and find out. It should give u an option to untick SP2 and update the other updates.

Greg
04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Cheers - sounds just what I want

Brian B
04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Do you have a copy of the latest NZ PCWorld mag. (Dec2004-Jan2005)?
Read my letter to the editor "Kill auto updates" for two ways to avoid SP2.
Once you have avoided the SP2 update, you should be able to accept other updates in the "Notify me before downloading or installing updates" option.
HTH

Prescott
04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
what about downloading the updates and saving them on disk? i still dont know how to do this, after that other post.....

Mike
04-01-2005, 09:24 PM
what about downloading the updates and saving them on disk? i still dont know how to do this, after that other post.....
Go to WindowsUpdate (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and do the regular scan etc. to find relevant updates... but don't update :) - instead write down or print off the updates...

...then go to WindowsUpdate Catalog (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/) and go through the lists found there and select all the updates you printed off or wrote down earlier and download them. You'll be able to download the files to a specified location rather than having them download and install automatically. Then you can save those updates to CD for use at a later time.

Its been a while since I've done this, but I think that's all right.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 09:26 PM
You can download updates either from the MS site download site, go to microsoft.com and search for the number of the update, (after u go to Windowsupdate (after u scan for updates), or from Windowsupdate.

The downloads from Windowsupdate go to the hdd (I think it used to be called C:/Windowsupdate). Or similar. If u open up C:/ soon after u scan and there are updates at the Windowsupdate site, a folder will appear.

AFTER the updates have been updated thru the install window at the site, BUT before all files have finished installing, you go to this folder and copy to whatever folder. Voila... You have copies of the updates. If u wait too long, after the files have finished installing at the site, the files, in this folder get deleted.

Twelvevolts
04-01-2005, 11:07 PM
All patches are individually downloadable from Microsoft. However - SP2 is a much better bet.