PDA

View Full Version : Respecting other peoples choices

MMM
04-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I've been holding my tongue and gritting my teeth so long, that my top dentures are getting permanent fissures in them. Just gotta say what I'm gonna say and that's that. No offence intended. :(

While acknowledging that a lot of you are enjoying using FF as your browser, may I politely request that when promoting it as an option among many browsers available, that you forego that continual bleat regarding FF vs Internet Explorer. :groan:

Those, like myself who continue to use IE, and surprise, surprise enjoy and even prefer to use IE rather than another browser, would appreciate you respecting our choice in what we use on our computer system. I have tried FF but prefer IE. The only Trojan I have come across was because I, not IE, did something really dumb. :blush: With programs I had already installed and info gained from this forum over the last few months, was able to get rid of it within the hour. :D

The excellent promotion of FF by all forms of media and internet forums for many months will have either succeeded in getting people to change or not by now. No browser is the complete answer to everyone's taste.

I realise this message won't make a blind bit of difference to some of you, but no harm in trying, eh?

Metla
04-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Its not about us enjoying Firefox, If you think good advice should be muted because your prefer a flawed product then your miles away and should have just continued grinding your dentures.

MMM
04-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Its not about us enjoying Firefox, If you think good advice should be muted because your prefer a flawed product then your miles away and should have just continued grinding your dentures.

:confused: :confused:
The point I am making is that there are other browsers that are just as safe as FF, yet their users do not have this need to constantly harp on about it.

That is the point I am making.
It is not about muting or ignoring good advice.

There are other good choices one can use instead of IE, so why don't they get promoted with FF?
[And I thought Cantabrians were one-eyed! :rolleyes: ]

I have installed, and kept up to date, security programs that help keep me safe on the internet. My settings in IE are set pretty high security wise. I don't promote it as an answer to all the worlds problems, its simply my choice.

Metla
04-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Not only one eyed,but loud,crude and impolite.

firefox is the wicked.

That is all.

drb1
04-01-2005, 03:05 AM
I don't promote it as an answer to all the worlds problems, its simply my choice.[/QUOTE]

I for one, remember the Evil done to Netscape buy M/S.

I remember the M/S mantra

"DOS is not done, untill Lotus wont run"

What goes around, baby, What goes around.

D.

Metla
04-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Anyhow,It stands to reason that the most populer alternative will be promoted the most, as that is what most have used/settled upon.

Are you saying that all browsers should be promoted equally,even if they are not equal, or that people should activly promote software they either didn't like or haven't even used?

edit.

My bad, After reading your post a few more times to see your point,it becomes obvious your just a IE user with a bee in your bonnet.

MMM
04-01-2005, 03:29 AM

:eek: Obviously one of their football boots stood on one of your corns, eh?
Can now understand why you wear slippers :p

:D You play the part of "The Patron Saint of Good Manners" so well Metla

E|im
04-01-2005, 03:52 AM
I have tried FF but prefer IE.
PEBCAK ;)

MMM
04-01-2005, 03:53 AM
My bad, After reading your post a few more times to see your point,it becomes obvious your just a IE user with a bee in your bonnet.

Well no I'm not actually.
I changed over to FF when it was 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 and really loved it. Would still be on it if the final version that came out wasn't such a nightmare for me. Spent a lot of time in the FF forums trying out all sorts of suggestions to get it right. Lots of timeouts, pages not found, altering things in :about config, etc., bookmarks having to be reinstalled, reinstalling the program a few times to start off again. [Note: this was just my experience, I'm not saying this will happen to everyone, because it doesn't.]

Put simply, it didn't work for me. I'm not knocking FF. I would just like to see some posts showing the differences between browsers, eg. things that one has but another may not. Then, depending on what you do on the Internet, you can judge more easily which one will suit. So far have tried FF, Opera, Avant Browser [which I use a lot for RSS feeds and tabs etc] and IE.

MMM
04-01-2005, 04:20 AM
PEBCAK ;)

Correct! The "programmers" who fiddled with an excellent browser making it a real mess on my computer. The first 2 worked no trouble at all. The final one didn't. After reading all the posts in their forums for 2-3 weeks before I finally gave up, showed that I was not the only one having problems with bugs that were still being sorted out. I understand that many of them have been fixed now.

You don't have to be shy and use abbreviations instead of the exact phrase. I'll do it for you - Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.
A form of denial often used by Technicians who refuse to acknowledge that there just might be a problem with the actual program itself. :D

Terry Porritt
04-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I use both FF and IE, because FireFox cannot render many sites I visit, and before people start saying I should continually write to webmasters to get them to re-write their pages to suit FF, well that is not very sensible, in fact stupid, you cant change the whole world, neither can I be bothered.

For instance, I just had an email from Amazon UK about an item I have on back order, with a link to click to extend the time period. Though I have FF as my default it would not work. I had to copy and paste the link into IE, then Amazon recognised me.

It just has to be recognised that many people prefer IE, and that it does what they want.

Greg
04-01-2005, 08:33 AM
MMM if you're convinced IE is superior, and wish to promote it's use, why not give a list of it's superior features and/or useability, and I'll provide double the number of reasons why it's inferior

Strommer
04-01-2005, 08:55 AM
PEBCAK ;)

I had to Google :o , so for others who may be in the dark:

Meaning of PEBCAK. Computing Dictionary. Definition: (Or "PEBKAC") Tech support shorthand for "Problem Exists between Chair and Keyboard" .

:p

Strommer
04-01-2005, 09:00 AM
MMM if you're convinced IE is superior, and wish to promote it's use, why not give a list of it's superior features and/or useability, and I'll provide double the number of reasons why it's inferior

MMM, I must agree with Greg. If you are going to get on a soapbox to promote IE, it is only reasonable to detail why you prefer it. And do you also use Outlook for email? There is very good reason to advise others to dump IE, for all of the problems with 'infections'.

On the other hand, MMM, I do admire your courage ;) to step forward and promote a Bill Gates product. You wouldn't happen to feed lions at the zoo, would you? :p

Cicero
04-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Well done MMM,you put your point well.
You must remember ;) the local geeks here know best. :lol:

Billy T
04-01-2005, 10:23 AM

The title of this thread is "Respecting other peoples choices" and nobody has to justify why they prefer a particular software choice to you or anybody else Greg.

I have no intention of justifying my choices to you or anybody else, and I don't give a rats behind what you or anybody else prefers.

The situation is quite different if a member asks for advice, guidance or recommendations when choosing software and then you can let your experience or prejudices hang out.

Just because this is PF1 Chat doesn't mean that you or any other person posting belittling or offensive replies (not even those with a gross non sequitur as their signature) can simply ignore good manners and respect for the views of others.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

TonyF
04-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Now that everyone has exressed their viewpoints yet again, could we all quietly go back to using our chosen browsers ... I believe I can hear heavy breathing from the Mods...

Metla
04-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Idiotic thread,Deserving of any flak it draws.

Safari
04-01-2005, 10:50 AM
The title of this thread is "Respecting other peoples choices" and nobody has to justify why they prefer a particular software choice to you or anybody else Greg.

I have no intention of justifying my choices to you or anybody else, and I don't give a rats behind what you or anybody else prefers.

The situation is quite different if a member asks for advice, guidance or recommendations when choosing software and then you can let your experience or prejudices hang out.

Just because this is PF1 Chat doesn't mean that you or any other person posting belittling or offensive replies (not even those with a gross non sequitur as their signature) can simply ignore good manners and respect for the views of others.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Obviously another "head in sand" IE user who is letting his prejudices hang out and at the same time being critical of others doing the same.

Nothing wrong with good practical advice, calm down and relax.

Cicero
04-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Is there any objective truth? Or must we finally accept that at bottom, in the end, philosophically speaking, there is no "real" or "objective" or "absolute" or "foundational" or "fact of the matter" or "right answer" truth about anything, that even our most confident convictions about what happened in the past or what the universe is made of or who we are or what is beautiful or if O/E is best are just our convictions, just conventions, just ideology, just badges of power, just the rules of the language games we choose to play, just the product of our irrepressible disposition to deceive ourselves that we have discovered out there in some external, objective, timeless, mind-independent, world what we have actually invented ourselves, out of instinct, imagination and culture?
If we want a good example of objectivity,then ;) have to look no further than BT and M

Greg
04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
calm down and relax.

Great advice! ;)

Scouse
04-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Folks.
(not even those with a gross non sequitur as their signature)
What did I miss? :confused:

tweak'e
04-01-2005, 11:14 AM
MMM.......in answer to your orginal question.......

most users don't even know the existance of alernative browsers so they do tend to get pushed quite hard.

as far as firefox goes....its just a hot favorite at the mooment. opera is far better of course ;) but everyone pushes his/her favorite wether its right or wrong. human nature for ya.

actually i do have to agree in part....there seems to be a lot of users here giving advice that <insert fav browser> will fix their problem when in fact it has nothing to do with it and they don't offer any reasons why an alterative browser would "fix" or even help with their problem. so yes there is a lot of unneeded brand name pushing........ a little trick they learnt from MS ;)

Cicero
04-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Folks.

Someone that doesn't grasp the English languge.
:D

Safari
04-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi Folks.

The unicorn I hope.

Metla
04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
I would imagine it refers to the patron saint of good manners........

Scouse
04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh. You mean that guy/gal who has helped me a couple of times and regularly offered good advice? Thanks.

Shortcircuit
04-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Here here to that!... especially the last paragraph. Seems to be a lot of 'belittling' going on in this forum by a few. I just put it down to immaturity and the fact that they are 'anonimous'. I wouldn't have a bar of it in the real world and I think most others wouldn't either.

And yes... I'll probably get flamed by a certain 'member' for posting this
:D

Metla
04-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Or i could point out Shortcircuit that your post contained nothing but a serve against others on the forum.

Of course, Its different for people like you isn't it?

Murray P
04-01-2005, 01:33 PM
MMM, I think a lot of the FF pushing is to do with people justifying their choices in some way as opposed to just having jumped on to a bandwagon because it's the g33k/1337 thing to do.

Of course there are many things that are, IMO, better about FF than IE but, the main reasons, and I make no bones about it, that I would advise someone to use FF or Opera or Mozilla, is:

Security. There's no doubt about it, although simply using another browser is not a total panacea.
I don't like M$ or their tactics or some of their crappy software. Although, much of their software is excellent and/or nigh on unavoidable.
I like giving people advice, especially advice that fits in to my own personal view of the world, why the heck not. They don't have to take it, if it's wrong advice there's plenty here to give alternative views (as you have done).
I don't adhere to the notion that this forum, or the net, is a democracy or somewhere where contentious issues should not be discussed or your viewpoint made abundantly clear (being a tosser/ranter/troll doesn't necessarily fit with this)

Terry, my view on your tolerence of the sites that break standards is, that it is apathetic. But then, I think that my vote counts as much as the next persons, unless I choose not to excercise it, then it's worth diddly sqwat.

Cicero
04-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Thank you MMM for opening a can of worms and providing some entertainment on what might otherwise might have been a dull day. ;)

People do take things rather seriously don't they?

Terry Porritt
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Apathy, Murray, yes that describes my attitude quite well. I just dont have the energy or the inclination to try to change a zillion websites that have been made for IE to display, and that FF wont.

Standards or no standards, if FF doesn't work on all sites, then most people who use IE (and know no other) would say FF is no good. I'm that way inclined too when FF wont open images on some of my favourite sites:dogeye: It's just a question of viewpoint, even of relativity, as to whether the site is no good, or to whether FF is no good.

For those that have the energy and drive to contact sites and point out that they are not conforming to standards, well good luck, get on with it. (And eventually I'll enjoy the free ride :) )

Safari
04-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Apathy, Murray, yes that describes my attitude quite well. I just dont have the energy or the inclination to try to change a zillion websites that have been made for IE to display, and that FF wont.

Standards or no standards, if FF doesn't work on all sites, then most people who use IE (and know no other) would say FF is no good. I'm that way inclined too when FF wont open images on some of my favourite sites:dogeye: It's just a question of viewpoint, even of relativity, as to whether the site is no good, or to whether FF is no good.

For those that have the energy and drive to contact sites and point out that they are not conforming to standards, well good luck, get on with it. (And eventually I'll enjoy the free ride :) )

What sort of web sites do you go to?
I have not found any myself that do not display using FF
Give an example of one so we can check it.

Greg
04-01-2005, 04:21 PM
I also have seldom come across a site that doesn't display adequately in my browser... Netscape. Sure it happens, but I couldn't be bothered opening IE to see a site; I'll just go somewhere else

Baldy
04-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Who cares what ruddy browser anyone uses. Its about as important as how long are the laces in your shoe and what brand of margarine you spread.

Ho-Bluddy-Hum

agent
04-01-2005, 04:49 PM
You're quite right there, Baldy.

Both shoe laces and margarine are capable of causing people much grief.

Terry Porritt
04-01-2005, 05:06 PM
>>What sort of web sites do you go to?

Well all I can say is that you havent lived :eek:

I gave an example earlier, www.amazon.co.uk

Here is how the page is diplayed using FF:

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/FF.jpg

And here is how IE displays the same page:

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/IE.jpg

It is images, areas that say click here or continue that tend to be missing, Ebay doesnt work properly for me. Many secure transaction pages dont work for example.

Jen
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Well, quite a variety of comments and opinions on this thread.

Reasonable discussions are always good, and each person is entitled to their opinion. But please do not go getting personal over it.

I politely request that when promoting it as an option among many browsers available, that you forego that continual bleat regarding FF vs Internet Explorer.There is nothing wrong with suggesting Firefox (or any other browser) as an option for browsers and then giving the factual reasons why, but I think it was this comment above that has got so many people up and arms in this thread.

However I agree, if someone has a problem with IE, then they shouldn't just be told to switch to an alternative browser. Advice given to fix their IE issue (often homepage hijacking etc) will sometimes include mentioning alternative browsers which will go towards preventing this happening again as they do not have that particular vunerability.

But no one browser suits everyone's needs. You use what you prefer, but it is always good to be aware of the alternative choices. :)

Cicero
04-01-2005, 05:39 PM
World News

January 04, 2005

Modest pioneer: Blake Ross. At 7, he was a computer game addict. At 17, he made the breakthrough that created Firefox. At 19, he is a student of computer science.

Is this internet prodigy about to knock Microsoft off its pedestal?
By David Adams
A Miami teenager has created a free web browser that has been called Bill Gates's worst nightmare

A MIAMI teenager is basking in the glory of helping to create a new internet browser at 17 that is now challenging the grip of Microsoft, which once held a virtual monopoly on web surfing.
Computer analysts say that Blake Ross’s browser, Firefox, is a faster, more versatile program that also offers better protection from viruses and unwanted advertising.

Not only that, the system is offered free over the internet and its codes and technology are all accessible as an “open source” programme. Firefox has already been downloaded by an estimated 15 million users since its launch in November, making it the world’s second-most-popular browser.

Industry experts have dubbed the new software “Microsoft’s worst nightmare”, according to the technology magazine Business 2.0. It hailed Mr Ross, now 19, as a software prodigy. He is also a talented pianist and “an unbelievable creative writer”, according to his mother, Ross. “Anything he does, he does well,” she said.

As a seven-year-old Mr Ross became hooked on the popular computer game SimCity, designing and budgeting his own virtual city. By 10, he had created his own website. He later created his own computer applications and online text games.Soon he was reporting computer software flaws to manufacturers online.

At 14 he was offered an internship at Netscape in Silicon Valley. His mother drove him out to California for three summers in succession.

At Netscape, Mr Ross was introduced to the Mozilla Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation that promotes “choice and innovation on the web”.

Mozilla was already trying to develop an open-source alternative browser to Microsoft’s Explorer, which many analysts felt had grown clumsy and outdated. Mr Ross and his friend David Hyatt began working on a small, user-focused browser. What began as an experimental side-project turned into Firefox.

Mr Ross is quick to point out that he was one of a large team at Mozilla who worked on the project for five years. “It’s a big volunteer effort,” he said. In fact, the pair left before the work was completed, but Mozilla credits them with making the breakthrough. After he left to go to university, Mr Ross continued to be a “significant contributor”, according to Mozilla.

The task involved throwing out all the old codes and rewriting the entire system so it would support all websites on the internet. While Firefox still has a long way to go to rival Microsoft, it seems to be catching on. Firefox has received dazzling reviews from industry analysts. Recently some 10,000 Firefox fans raised $250,000 (£131,000) to take out a two-page advertisement in The New York Times. It is not just in dividual users who are taking interest. In December, the information technology department at Pennsylvania State University sent a note to college deans recommending that the entire 100,000-strong staff, faculty and student body switch to Firefox.

Mr Ross, now a student at Stanford University studying computer science, is taking it all in his stride. As a volunteer on an open-source product, there was no financial reward.

Microsoft professes to be unfazed. Windows executive Gary Schare said: “We’re seeing the natural ebb and flow of a competitive marketplace with new products being introduced. It’s not surprising to see curious early adopters checking them out.”

Not content with making a huge dent in Microsoft’s browser share, Mozilla, the foundation behind Firefox, is also going after Microsoft’s Outlook and other e-mail packages.

Called Thunderbird 1.0, the package works on Windows, Macintosh and Linux and has been praised by the industry and press for finally offering a challenge to Microsoft’s dominance in the e-mail arena.

The software provides a number of features which other packages are struggling to offer. Key features include e-mail junk filters that analyse and sort incoming mail and greater security elements.

agent
04-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I just read that in The Times, Tom - where'd you source it from?

Safari
04-01-2005, 06:34 PM
>>What sort of web sites do you go to?

Well all I can say is that you havent lived :eek:

I gave an example earlier, www.amazon.co.uk

Here is how the page is diplayed using FF:

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/FF.jpg

And here is how IE displays the same page:

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/IE.jpg

It is images, areas that say click here or continue that tend to be missing, Ebay doesnt work properly for me. Many secure transaction pages dont work for example.

All those sites display correctly for me using FF infact I have actually bought books from www.amazon.co.uk
I am using a Mac version of FF at the moment so there is nothing wrong with Firefox itself or the way the website is designed or else I would be getting the same problem

Do all Win users get the same problem as Terry when using FF on those sites. It may be due some configuration problem or conflict somewhere.

Metla
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
People,Please note that as Firefox is not everyones preferred browser it is not to be mentioned as doing so disrespects the choices people make.

The last few hours have been spent compiling a list of all software and hardware that is not everybodies preference, When finished all these items will be banned from discussion in order to respect peoples choices.

The main issue so far is that all items are preferred by some but not by all, so it looks like all discusion,opinions,recomendations and promotion of anything and everything will have to be stopped,

Sure,Things will be quiet and people will go uninformed but at least no one who has made a personal choice will be grossly offended by others discussing a product they themselves choose not to use.

Im sure that makes sence.

Metla
04-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Do all Win users get the same problem as Terry when using FF on those sites. It may be due some configuration problem or conflict somewhere.

Amazon displays perfectly for me using firefox.

beetle
04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
All people have opinions, not many people actually agree.

So best option would be (my opinion only), state your point of veiw, based best on facts, and then thats it, no arguing the point for the sake of it, nobody is going to say wow i agree, to every option, polite discussion is good, but lets be honest how often does one agree with what you hear every day? the news? the newspapers? on the radio? on tv? at times we hear what we want to hear. do not reply to belittle or ridicule, facts speak better than a personal anti.

yes you have a point, IE does work for some people, but so does opera, FF and many others. people use what they like or fits there needs, we do not ram it down their throats, when you are happy with something, a grade mark, a product from the shop, even store bought comps, or food ....does one not automatically say wow its neat, everyone get one of these?

i seem to think some on PF1 are here to help, not to promote M$ or any other product, but just to help fellow people, with computer problems, and sometimesyes it includes a recomendation of using another browser.

Use what you feel comfortable with, to hell with what general opinion suggests, they are not you, you are not them.
I at times use IE, cos FF wont post on some sites i visit, but doesnt mean i like it, doesnt mean i hate it, just prefer FF, have yet to try the multitudes of others out there ....one day at a time.

the next step im told is Linux, and im not up for that one yet either, but im not worried about people spouting about that one either.

just my Opinion, take it or leave it, im fine with your choice.

Have a great day, a great life.

live and let live, its simple really.

b

Safari
04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
So Terry, your comment "I just dont have the energy or the inclination to try to change a zillion websites that have been made for IE to display, and that FF wont" seems to be self inflicted and grossly overstated.
If they were made for IE and non compliant design then Mac users would have a problem and that is not the case.
There are some websites which have a problem but they are a minority and I believe 99% will display correctly in FF so you may need to have a close look at what is causing the problem on your system.

E|im
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
People,Please note that as Firefox is not everyones preferred browser it is not to be mentioned as doing so disrespects the choices people make.

The last few hours have been spent compiling a list of all software and hardware that is not everybodies preference, When finished all these items will be banned from discussion in order to respect peoples choices.

The main issue so far is that all items are preferred by some but not by all, so it looks like all discusion,opinions,recomendations and promotion of anything and everything will have to be stopped,

Sure,Things will be quiet and people will go uninformed but at least no one who has made a personal choice will be grossly offended by others discussing a product they themselves choose not to use.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Metla
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Thats an excellent idea, From now on we can communicate in nothing but Smilies.

:badpc: :angry :p :2cents: :dogeye:

TonyF
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Have a great day, a great life.
live and let live, its simple really.
b
I think that if Beetle was to go round and bite a few our more grumpy ones, they might do what she mentions above.
Cheers
Tony

MMM
04-01-2005, 07:38 PM

Greg - Please read my posts again.

At no stage have I said that IE is superior.

Terry Porritt
04-01-2005, 08:01 PM
The other interesting aspect I get with Firefox, is that the US Amazon site displays perfectly, it is the UK site that doesn't.

That does not sound like a configuration problem with my set up.

Metlas, comment about Amazon needs to specify WHICH site he says displays perfectly for it to carry weight.

Another site that doesnt work correctly (for me) with Firefox is Live365.com.
Their 365 player is designed for IE only. Now this doesnt worry me too much since I subscribe and run their Radio 365 VIP player which is browser independent.

Safari
04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
There must be others here using Firefox, could they go to www.amazon.co.uk and report how the site displays to help Terry determine if he has a problem.
See previous post from Terry on how they appear when using IE and FF

Metla
04-01-2005, 08:17 PM
The UK site of course,

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/amazonuk.jpg

Jen
04-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Using Firefox and viewing the amazon .uk versus the .com site, there is a difference with how the images are displayed. If you go to Preferences > Web features > Load Images and remove the tick from beside "for the originating site only" and then refresh the .uk site, you will find the images now display. It must be how .uk has their images linked.

Safari
04-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Using Firefox and viewing the amazon .uk versus the .com site, there is a difference with how the images are displayed. If you go to Preferences > Web features > Load Images and remove the tick from beside "for the originating site only" and then refresh the .uk site, you will find the images now display. It must be how .uk has their images linked.

Jen has just solved your problem Terry.
It was pointing to something like that as has already been mentioned there are very few sites that have a problem with FF
You might now be able to enjoy it more but if you still have problems consider that it could be some configuration on something else on your system

Terry Porritt
04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Oh fantastic Jen, and Safari. That's great, not only are all the Amazon sites now working properly in FF, but images on another site I go to load now even though it is the originating site.
I hadn't thought of twiddling with that setting.

I will now reduce the 'zillion' sites to maybe a handful. I must check Ebay and Paypal too, they gave me problems with Firefox. :)

ninja
04-01-2005, 08:58 PM
The UK site of course,

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/amazonuk.jpg
Likewise... displays fine here.

The other site mentioned (live365.com) has it's own custom IE plugin for playing the media they provide, however they allow you to choose from a list of external players when you use another browser:

http://www.live365.com/mini/install/chooseplayer.live

Metla
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM

firefox is the wicked.

That is all.

Thought i might revisit the above post,Seems it may have ruffled a few feathers amongst those that ride high horses, The description was of me (which should have been obvious, who else would it be describing) Perhaps some people should read the thread before mounting up, and preaching judgement from the mount about those who follow up a post with a "non sequitur"

Safari
04-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Another site that doesnt work correctly (for me) with Firefox is Live365.com.
Their 365 player is designed for IE only. Now this doesnt worry me too much since I subscribe and run their Radio 365 VIP player which is browser independent.

You don't have to use their Radio 365 player.
You can listen to Live365.com using players such as RealPlayer, Winamp, Sonique, MusicMatch, or Windows Media Player.
You can also use any MP3 player, even iTunes, very smart you should try it.

E|im
04-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Thought i might revisit the above post,Seems it may have ruffled a few feathers amongst those that ride high horses, The description was of me (which should have been obvious, who else would it be describing) Perhaps some people should read the thread before mounting up, and preaching judgement from the mount about those who follow up a post with a "non sequitur"
:lol: :lol: :lol: You know I had to look up the word to figure out what he was trying to say. Even after a quick search it still doesn't make sense. I don't know why people insist on using unusual words. All it does is make people waste their time and visit dictionary.com. If no-one understands what you are trying to say, what's the point of posting it in the first place? People will just glance over your post and ignore you. :)

Murray P
04-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Loads fine for me, took a screen shot but won't bother as Metla has posted his.

It's a handy feature to have Jen, can this be done with security levels in IE? I darn't look, I might become beguiled by IE's charms ;)

Anyway, it seems Amazon UK or the parent company is trying to save a little on disk space. Thanks to the promiscuity of IE it still displays fine for the majority of users, and, there's no need to suffer the pox as long as you keep taking the antibiotics.

ninja
04-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Oh god... I did it again:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=308871&postcount=5

Cicero
04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I just read that in The Times, Tom - where'd you source it from?
Same as thee lad :)

Greg
05-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I find it kinda interesting and kinda sad that the one's in this thread who grumble the most are all IE fans! hehe

Billy T
05-01-2005, 10:09 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: You know I had to look up the word to figure out what he was trying to say. Even after a quick search it still doesn't make sense.

OK, I'll put you out of your misery E|im. Non sequitur is a Latin expression meaning in simple terms: "it does not follow".

Logically the "Patron Saint of good manners" should display good manners at all times, however use of the title in this instance is an exercise in irony.

Irony is a word with Greek and late Latin roots meaning the use of language in a manner opposite or different to the generally accepted meaning, especially the mock adoption of another's views.

In this context, Metla is mocking those who advocate the use of good manners on PF1 and in doing so is saying to his fellow users, I will not use good manners as requested by IDG (refer to the Forum Rules) or abide by the generally accepted standards expected by society as a whole.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you. I am quite sure Metla chose his sig with the full knowledge of its true meaning and he will not be at all surprised or disappointed that it has been identified as such, in fact I'd lay odds it raised a wry smile.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

nzStan
05-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I loveda firefox and I spita on da Internet Explorer!!!

Can't remember when but I was trying to track a consignment on the DHL website to discover it doesn't work on Firefox (so had to don my germ-retardent gloves to start up IE).

Anyway I sent a very polite email to DHL webmaster highlighting the problem and 24 hours later when I visit the site again it worked for me in Firefox.

Metla
05-01-2005, 11:13 AM
OK, I'll put you out of your misery E|im. Non sequitur is a Latin expression meaning in simple terms: "it does not follow".

Logically the "Patron Saint of good manners" should display good manners at all times, however use of the title in this instance is an exercise in irony.

In this context, Metla is mocking those who advocate the use of good manners on PF1 and in doing so is saying to his fellow users, I will not use good manners as requested by IDG (refer to the Forum Rules) or abide by the generally accepted standards expected by society as a whole.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you. I am quite sure Metla chose his sig with the full knowledge of its true meaning and he will not be at all surprised or disappointed that it has been identified as such, in fact I'd lay odds it raised a wry smile.

Cheers

No wry smile here, Amazed at the pure arrogance that you can come up with.

It is indeed an ironic little quip as i am clearly not the patron saint of good manners,

However, You overstep any rational context when you spew forth rubbish like...

You don't speak for me, and yet you have taken something,twisted it and laid it down as my thoughts?

Safari
05-01-2005, 11:16 AM

Cheers

It is also called Pretentious Diction

There is an old rule of English composition that suggests that wherever authors find a particularly impressive phrase in their own writing, they should strike it out and rewrite it. Why? Because whenever the writing becomes more noticeable than the ideas it expresses, the writing has become distracting.

beetle
05-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Seems in my thinking that we who post often are possibly to opinionated and often disregaurd what others have posted or misread things and then get all frustrated in trying to show our point of veiw.

why is it we cannot just have a opinion with apportioning blame onto someone else? when often this person has made a statement, what they think is right, or best suits them, and we do not have the right or gall to tell them they are wrong or they have a bias or rude opinion when the did not actually mean what others may have thought they said, and ended up blaming others for their misreading or tactless posting?

if you dont agree dont post for the sake of posting.... to possibly make yourself look better when you actually degrade yourself and others at pf1.

I too am sure i post a lot of non needed posts, i actually post a lot less than i ever did because purely from the fact i dont have the time or cant be bothered with the dribble, ( me included) that happens more often than not.

Boredom does funny things to people, and inteligence doesnt come with a post count...... inteligence in my thinking is often not seen because they who have it dont post dribble, they post knowledge and help, not attacks on others purely out of spite, and belittling fun. if you have gripes with people...take it offline - off PF1, we dont kneed to see it.

sorry for the grump,

but how many regulars are posting? how many grumps are posting? and how many trolls are doing the rounds? i think the most action round here is those google bots....... painful things that they are.

how many people post while in hiding? or dont log in?

i like the new look, but find pf1 is a lots slower people wise than it ever has been before, and ya cant tell me its cos of the holidays. people are hiding or not posting more often than not.

No offense intended, and just my opinion.

thanxs

b
:rolleyes: :@@:

Shortcircuit
05-01-2005, 01:05 PM
No wry smile here, Amazed at the pure arrogance that you can come up with.

It is indeed an ironic little quip as i am clearly not the patron saint of good manners,

However, You overstep any rational context when you spew forth rubbish like...

You don't speak for me, and yet you have taken something,twisted it and laid it down as my thoughts?

It sounds 'right on the nail' to me (as one who has had to deal with lack of manners) :yuck:

Murray P
05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Anything you write or create for public view can and often will be interpreted in ways you don't intend or hadn't thought of, a bonus if you like, or not. That doesn't make your original intentions any less valid, but.

drb1
05-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I loveda firefox and I spita on da Internet Explorer!!!

Can't remember when but I was trying to track a consignment on the DHL website to discover it doesn't work on Firefox (so had to don my germ-retardent gloves to start up IE).

Anyway I sent a very polite email to DHL webmaster highlighting the problem and 24 hours later when I visit the site again it worked for me in Firefox.

KDE can be effective instead of disease E in these situations.

D.

Billy T
05-01-2005, 09:48 PM
OK Metla

So I got it wrong then. :confused:

How about you explain in simple English how you personally reconcile your self-claimed status as the "Patron Saint of Good Manners" with your constant rude and abusive posting style.

I merely answered a member's question, and in doing so pointed out the glaringly obvious, but hey, you show the PF1 community by word and deed that you are indeed a good mannered fellow, sadly misunderstood and hard done by the cruel and heartless Billy T, and heck, I'll apologise to you publicly. Gladly.

Over to you:

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :horrified

Jen
05-01-2005, 09:51 PM
OK Metla

So I got it wrong then. :confused:

How about you explain in simple English how you personally reconcile your self-claimed status as the "Patron Saint of Good Manners" with your constant rude and abusive posting style.
Actually, how about you take this off forum. Please PM each other rather than carry on like this - it gets no one anywhere.

TonyF
05-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Maybe Metla has a wry sense of humour which comes unstuck with a few people.
Perhaps if Billy T and Metla exchanged a couple of PMs ( rather than squabbling in public) it would all settle down.
Cheers anyway to both of you.
Tony

Safari
05-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Actually, how about you take this off forum. Please PM each other rather than carry on like this - it gets no one anywhere.

Billy T - consider yourself reprimanded for not following forum rules.

Actually I think you are lucky not to get banned for a week

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Heres the deal:
Just talking with Jen, we understand that we could cramp down a little more on certain people.

Banning for 24hrs will become more popular. If banned, you will also find a PM with a link to the thread in question in your inbox upon return (If you return).
No discussion need be entered into, if you get no reply to PM's youve sent us debating it, its because we simply cant be stuffed arguing.

We understand there's been a lot of subtle abuse of recent as well. This will be cramped down on also.
We will review each instance on an individual basis, judges decision is final and no correspondance will be entered into.

Myself and Jen are the Moderators.
Rather than take matters into the hands of yourself and fellow PF1 users, use the "Report Post" function, or again, you may find a 24 hour or longer ban.

It is possible to have a healthy debate without throwing names.

Now: I dont care what browser you all use. If it loads PressF1, then its a good browser ;-)

Cheers

Chill.

TonyF
06-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Agree Chill and Jen. A couple of forums in the US that I am in tolerate zero nasty messages, even implied ones. If we did that the personal comments might cease...
Cheers T

ninja
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
You don't speak for me, and yet you have taken something,twisted it and laid it down as my thoughts?You'll find this happens a lot, especially when the user in question is involved.