PDA

View Full Version : SDRAM; single, paired DIMMs.

Caesius
03-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I've got two DIMMs, one DSE, the other unknown, 128MB and 64MB respectively. When both installed into slot 0 and slot 1 they work but when I install only the DSE DIMM into slot 0 on the board I get a memory error from BIOS. However the other 64MB DIMM works fine on its own.

Do some specific DIMMs have to have a friend or is it some other problem? The DSE DIMM (the one who doesn't like being lonely) is SDR133.

Cheers, Ben.

drb1
04-01-2005, 01:52 AM
I've got two DIMMs, one DSE, the other unknown, 128MB and 64MB respectively. When both installed into slot 0 and slot 1 they work but when I install only the DSE DIMM into slot 0 on the board I get a memory error from BIOS. However the other 64MB DIMM works fine on its own.

Do some specific DIMMs have to have a friend or is it some other problem? The DSE DIMM (the one who doesn't like being lonely) is SDR133.

Cheers, Ben.

memory can be better if paired/Synonomus but it should't be mandatory with SD.

It is not uncomm for things like this to happen, your machime just dosent like dse much.

If your unsure assembell it with all the ram and run memtest.

D.

tweak'e
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
When both installed into slot 0 and slot 1 they work
i bet tou will run into problems if left like that.

what brand/model motherboard (need to know what chipset it uses) do you have ??

Caesius
04-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Yes you are right; I did run into problems pairing them. I'm using only one now but now I have a useless stick of RAM (DSE 128MB) unless I buy another DSE DIMM.

When pairing DIMMs is it important to match them in size/brand etc? I mean, if I just buy to identical DIMMs can I be assured that they will function properly together?

tweak'e
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
you can either buy 2 new sticks and throw/sell the old one (for that matter just buy one big new stick) otherwise its just pot luck wither it works or not. try to match the specs if at all possible (or make sure the new one is faster/better).

there can be a few little things to watch with some motherboards (which is why i asked before).