PDA

View Full Version : Can't enter BIOS/CMOS setup on IBM 300GL!

shroeder
03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
My son has scored an IBM 300GL running W2000.

He wants to reformat and dual boot using W98 (for his games) and Mandrake (for excitement).

The trouble is that we can't seem to access BIOS/CMOS setup. On starting it displays the message "Hit F1 for setup" but doing so only delays the showing of the next screen (which allows ctrl-S to enter a different type of setup, such as having number lock on at start etc). During the delay a blinking cursor "_" is displayed.

If we don't hit F1 the next screen offering Ctrl-S is still the next screen.

Unless I can get into BIOS/CMOS setup I don't seem to be able to get the PC to boot from CD-Rom, which I really need to do what he wants. :confused:

Any ideas will be gratefully tried!!!

Thanks in anticipation

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Try hitting F1 with machine gun rapidity as the beast is booting!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBMs can be awkward till you get the knack.

shroeder
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Tried, and tried, and tried (son is still trying in fact!)...
But to no avail (PC just starts beeping as (I guess) we overload its keystroke buffer or something.

Thanks though for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to try a new CMOS battery, possibly that may do the trick??

Ash M
03-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Try clearing the CMOS memory. Normally this is done by changing a small jumper near the CMOS batter and then changing it back before you start up again.

Ash

shroeder
03-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, before I try those things (as I don't know where to look for the CMOS battery!), I've just found out a little more...

The screen it jumps to relates to a Intel PRO/100 Network Management adaptor that allows for wake up via a LAN. Could it be that this set up takes precedence over BIOS, and that I should disable/remove or whatever first?

george12
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I've almost always found this to work. You've got to make it fail POST somehow. Not the real important one, just do something that will make it give an error.

First try holding down a key (any key) constantly while it is booting. It will usually give a stuck key error and ask if you want to enter setup.

Also consider that the setup may need to be downloaded and put on floppy.

Hth George

the highlander
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
My son has scored an IBM 300GL running W2000.

He wants to reformat and dual boot using W98 (for his games) and Mandrake (for excitement).

The trouble is that we can't seem to access BIOS/CMOS setup. On starting it displays the message "Hit F1 for setup" but doing so only delays the showing of the next screen (which allows ctrl-S to enter a different type of setup, such as having number lock on at start etc). During the delay a blinking cursor "_" is displayed.

If we don't hit F1 the next screen offering Ctrl-S is still the next screen.

Unless I can get into BIOS/CMOS setup I don't seem to be able to get the PC to boot from CD-Rom, which I really need to do what he wants. :confused:

Any ideas will be gratefully tried!!!

Thanks in anticipation

From memory I think I used the mash every key method on these things or the other thing you can try is if it has two mem sticks ---- pull out one and it should give you the option to enter the setup (bios) due to a change in physical memory

Peterj116
06-01-2005, 12:33 PM
In case you're still puzzling over this (just browsing the old messages) you'll find that all Thinkpads require you to hold the F1 key before turning the machine on. Keep the F1 key pressed while it's booting up & you're in.

tedheath
06-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I have had a play around with BIOS settings what are CMOS settings? can you can change them and how do you get to them on PC P111.

TEDHEATH

Terry Porritt
06-01-2005, 02:55 PM
The two terms are used interchangeably. BIOS is the generic term for the Basic Input/Output System.
The BIOS chip is made from CMOS technology, Complementary Metal Oxide, gosh I forget what the S stands for :o

There are 2 parts to the BIOS, that which the user can change in the Setup, and that which is encoded in, such as when the BIOS is flashed with a binary file.
There are tools to hack into the coding if you are adventurous. I have made my own logo to replace the Energy Star, that is fairly elementary.

Graham L
06-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Try the holding F1 down while turning the power on (and after, of course).
Have a look inside the case. There may be a label giving a map of the mother board --- and there might be a jumper which enables a boot from network.

If all else fails, will it boot from a floppy if one is there? (The network boot rom should drop out if it doesn't find a server). IBM provide BIOS upgrades ... and there is one for 300Gls. Maybe installing the upgraded BIOS will allow you in ... it will want to be setup at least the first time. :D

"300GL bios upgrade" to Google will find you the right place in IBM.

Peterj116
06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
...The BIOS chip is made from CMOS technology, Complementary Metal Oxide, gosh I forget what the S stands for :o

Semiconductor, isn't it?

whetu
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, before I try those things (as I don't know where to look for the CMOS battery!), I've just found out a little more...

The screen it jumps to relates to a Intel PRO/100 Network Management adaptor that allows for wake up via a LAN. Could it be that this set up takes precedence over BIOS, and that I should disable/remove or whatever first?

The network management screen will show before the bios is entered. I have rebuilt a few 300GL's at work, so I'm familiar with them ;)

Trevors
06-11-2005, 04:16 PM
In the event your problem still exists, you need to clear the bios totally. To do this, unplug the power cord from the PC, then remove the cover, then the battery (a 2032 type flat battery). Looking from the front of the PC, it is at the left edge of the motherboard - you cant miss it. Wait about 10 minutes or if you desire an hour or so the longer the better. This will lose your bios settings. Reinstall the battery and reconect your power, you can do this with the cover off until you have rectified the situation. on boot it will note the loss of configuration, and offer to enter setup. Accept the automatic configuration, set your date and time and whatever changes you want to make, but importantly select "START OPTIONS" and scroll down to "POWER ON SELF TEST" and change the setting to "ENHANCED". This will on boot show the Press F1 to enter setup. Save your settings and exit.

MACIAN
06-11-2005, 07:16 PM
i have 300gl "manuals". I am in Wellington (porirua) if you want one. Post a message and I will give you my phone number.

What are you trying to do?

If I hit F1 or CTRL S I get into the configuration setup. I can scroll around to different settings.

I also have a bios "update" I was trying to run a Piii 450 in it and downloaded it from the net. Then I read the manual and worked out the 300gl doesn't take the 450's (darn). I am not sure how up to date the bios programme is.