PDA

View Full Version : Help with my AMD!!

DjReynolds3
03-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey everyone, im new to the site and i really need some help. I recently built my first computer. I knew enough about it going into this that i knew what to buy so it all works. I purchased a AMD Athlon 64 3000 with the Socket 754 Motherboard. I got 512 Ram, Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB Video card, Soundblast 5.1 Sound card, 200 GB internal WD HD and a 550 Watt power supply.

So the comp came here, i got everything i ordered, and i began to build. Everything was going good untill i got ready to format it and install all my drivers and operating system. I turned the computer on, but the monitor wasnt recieving any signal. I didnt know what the problem was so a friend and I removed the cooling tower, only to find the processor stuck to the bottom. We thought that was the problem, we hhooked the Processor in and put the cooling tower back on, and we thought wrong, it still didnt work. So now im getting upset, I cant figure out what the problem is. I take it home, start to work on it, and now it wont come on! I unhook everything, and put it all back, this time i turn the power supply down from 220 Volts to 110, this worked and the comp was running and it came up on the screen and i was so happy. 2 minutes later it turns off on its own.. i dont know why. i restart and it only comes on for about 2 seconds and immidiatly turns off. i figure the processor is over heating and hte motherboard is turning it all off, so i go buy some thermal material to replace the seal on the processor to the heat sink, and it still turns off 2 seconds after i start it up...whats the problem! any help is appreciated thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I would leave the voltage @ 230. DONT touch this while its going it could kill the whole thing! When u turn it on, can u hear any beeps??

And what motherboard did u buy??

DjReynolds3
03-01-2005, 04:01 PM
well when the voltage is at 230 it does the same thing. one beep..very very quite.

Biostar motherboard.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
When u applied some more thermal paste on the CPU u didnt drown it did u??

It only needs a little bit. Umm does this mobo have like a 4 pin connection on the mobo for a spare molex power connector?? And is the CPU fan plugged into the adapter on the motherboard? Is the CPU fan spinning?

E|im
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
I would leave the voltage @ 230. DONT touch this while its going it could kill the whole thing!
:lol: been there done that.

How did the processor stick to the bottom of the cooling unit? You are using the locking lever to keep it in place and make sure the pins on the CPU make contact with the motherboard?

Got the Heatsink fan plug connected? Some motherboards won't boot without that in. Check the heatsink is sitting level and making proper contact with the CPU heatspreader.

Re-check everything is connected nicely, don't forget the 4plug ATX power connector which goes into the motherboard.

Got a digital camera to take a pic for us? Upload it here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/)

Murray P
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
We're assuming you are connected to 230 volt supply where you come from and not 110, correct?

It's not unusual for the thermal pad to stick the CPU to the base of the heatsink, it should be easy to get off though. If the thermal pad/paste has been compromised (smeared off) you will need to replace it.

As mentioned, how many POST beeps (if any) are you getting when you first boot up. You should only see a test pattern on a black background until you have installed the OS and video and motherboard drivers.

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I hope the heatsink did NOT come with a thermal pad. AMD definitely say do not use a thermal pad with these 'lidded' processors as they ARE likely to stick and the cpu could get wrenched out of the socket. Approved thermal grease must be used.

I don't have the link at hand but the info is on the AMD website.

You may well have gained some experience the expensive way :eek:

Murray P
03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
My stock AMD CPU and heatsink (boxed retail) came with a thermal pad factory fitted (remove tape and away you go). Not the easiest stuff to get off for fitting an after market cooler though (begs the question why I bought retail, good price anyway though).

My assumption was, it was one of these. Have things changed for retail AMD?

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 07:04 PM
It depends on the version of cpu Murray, I'm referring to the Athlon 64.

Go here (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7203,00.html), and look at "AMD Athlon 64 and Opteron Processors Thermal Design Guide", page 33. It takes a long long time to download to read, it's a daft pdf.

Metla
03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I hope the heatsink did NOT come with a thermal pad. AMD definitely say do not use a thermal pad with these 'lidded' processors as they ARE likely to stick and the cpu could get wrenched out of the socket. Approved thermal grease must be used.

I don't have the link at hand but the info is on the AMD website.

You may well have gained some experience the expensive way :eek:

Yeah right.

The 64 bit athlon cpu's (lidded) do indeed come supplied with a heatsink with thermal pad already applied.....

Terry Porritt
03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
>>The 64 bit athlon cpu's (lidded) do indeed come supplied with a heatsink with thermal pad already applied.....

I didn't know that, so why is a thermal pad fitted when AMD say use grease, and they warn about the possibility of damage to cpu and socket?

It isn't very good.

Metla
03-01-2005, 09:23 PM
hmm....I had just popped back in to reword my prior post, Rather then "yeah right" imagine it instead said, Maybe the info at the AMD site is outdated as all the retail packs of the Athlon 64 bit cpu's have been supplied to me with a thermal pad mounted on the heatsink.

I would imagine they altered their design somewhere along the way and the document on their site is outdated, I didn't handle any of the first few runs of cpu's so I can't comment on them,They may have not been available as a retail pack with HSF.....

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 02:22 PM
OK heres hte deal. Everything is plugged in correctly. The power supply WILL NOT come on at 230. I have to have it on at 110. I dont know why. Whenever i pick the Heat sink up off the Processor, the processor is stuck to the bottom. That makes me think the pins arent sticking correctly into the slot. yes the handle on the processor slot is locked down.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Hmm well I wouldnt leave it at 110. It MUST be able to go back to 230 or its screwed. I wouldnt use that PSU. Get another. You should have LEFT the voltage alone!

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 04:22 PM
ok so weirdest thing just happened. I took off the Cooling Tower...Processor was stuck to it. I twist the processor a little and it comes off... i clean off all of the thermal material off both the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink with a couple tissues. I take the processor and put a small S shape of thermal material on it and this time i really push the processor down hard on the slot it is supposed to go in to make the pins get a sure connection...i hear a click that i have never heard before. i push the lever down to hold it in place and i firmly place the cooling tower back on at a flat level and lock it in and plug it into the 4 pin JCFAN1 slot on my mobo. I plug in the power supply ON 230 BTW, and turn the comp on...it comes on..and stays on...for longer than it has yet. But my monitor is in the integrated slot and i'm not getting a signal to it. so i turn off the comp to put in my video card and hook the monitor to that...and i go to turn the comp back on, it does the same thing as before. Maybe my processor wasnt pushed down enoguh before...but why now does it mess up agian?

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 04:32 PM
OMG it runs without my video card in! But now i mnot getting a signal to my monitor! AHHH what is going on.When i hook the monitor to my comp's integrated no signal! when the video card is in and i have signal...the comp shuts down!

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 04:35 PM
now its running with the video card in..but the sound card out.............no monitor signal....it just shut down when i tried to put the monitor in.

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Ah ok so u have onboard video and a video card...

If it runs with the videocard (not the onboard one), go into the BIOS and disable the onboard videocard. Were both video cards in the system before??

They may have been conflicting....And put the soundcard back in.. Have u got 2 soundcards as well?? onboard and other?? If so, once it goes again disable the onboard sound, in the BIOS, if u want to use another soundcard.

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 04:48 PM
yes i have onboard and new of both video and audio. I cant get into my Bios, nothing comes up on my monitor at all when i turn the comp on with the monitor in either slots. does it have anything to do with the jumpers on my integratted stuff?

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 04:58 PM
OK Well, if you have 2 videocards and 2 soundcards in the system, you'll either have to remove the 5:1 soundcard if this isnt the onboard sound, and remove the PCI/AGP videocard, if this isnt the onboard video.

Or try and get the monitor to switch on, so u can get into the BIOS to disable onboard sound and that onboard videocard... That maybe your problem.. Theyre conflicting.

Take the soundcard out thats not onboard. Plug the monitor into onboard videocard. See if it works. If it does, Then get into the BIOS disable onboard video and sound. Then reinstall the other soundcard and the other videocard, if its better than the onboard video.

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 05:03 PM
the monitor wont work when its on either the onboard or the AGP/PCI

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Did u remove the soundcard as well?? While testing with just onboard video and then the other videocard??

Are you getting any beeps when u turn the system on?? Or does anything come on when u turn the system on?

If nothing is going at all, you havent plugged something like the CPU fan in, or connected the 4 pin molex power on the mobo to power. (if the mobo has this connection).

DjReynolds3
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
The 4 Pin Molex is in. The CPU fan is in. No Beeps, Fans come on lights come on, I just sent an email to the company requesting my full refund. This computer is waisting my time.

Murray P
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Hopefully they won't notice the small S of thermal paste on the CPU. You need to apply a very thin (less than one millimetre) film of paste over the entire contact surface.

Have you read the motherboard, CPU intallation, video and audio card manuals?

Have you tried a different monitor, what sort of monitor is it, what type of connection does it take, if multiple type (analogue or digital), does it detect this automatically? Have you tried a different PSU (if you have 230V at your wall power outlet do not run the PSU at 110V).

Did you change/reset any motherboard jimpers or dip switches?

Disconnect all unnecessary cards, monitor, HDD, etc, remove and reconnect any power connectors including those to the CPU fan (make sure they are not forced in the wrong way around, fire it up. Do you get POST beeps (a good POST will beep once, assuming your onboard video is enabled)?

Read the motherboard manual, especially the sections on installing RAM, Video and Audio. Re-connect those parts essential to get a good graphical boot (again assuming onboard video is enabled, leave out the video and audio cards). What happens now?

Don't force anything, the only things that sometimes require a bit of muscle are the clips. Bent pins result in (apparently) dead machines.

DjReynolds3
05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
well guys... i have fixed it. The mobo was shorting out on the case...*no spacers*. And the power supply MUST be on at 115 V. It wont run the monitor on 230. Its only a 120 V power supply from my wall =). but i got it now, but im not getting power to my CD player...=0

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Well either check that the power plug is going to the cd. Or do something about your power supply. It's most probably fried half of something, since it was shorting. And u cant use 230v. You're lucky it didnt kill the videocard or both of them.

It's probably not enough power to power everything.

Graham L
05-01-2005, 04:04 PM
If the PSU works only on the 110 selection, it is faulty.

STOP USING IT. Buy another one, or if you bought it new, get it replaced under guarantee.

I am surprised it hasn't blown up, but most of the high voltage parts will probably be running well over their ratings. (This is oversimplified, but I'm not going to encourage you to repair the mains side of a PSU. :D.)

Terry Porritt
05-01-2005, 04:22 PM
well guys... i have fixed it. The mobo was shorting out on the case...*no spacers*. And the power supply MUST be on at 115 V. It wont run the monitor on 230. Its only a 120 V power supply from my wall =). but i got it now, but im not getting power to my CD player...=0

If what you say above is true, ie your household power supply is 120volt, then you are not in NZ (else you have your own low voltage generator) and you could have saved everyone a lot of angst by answering Murray P's query earlier on about where you are located.

DjReynolds3
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
well i got the CD drive running. It just started working. It was like it took a second to kick in or something. i will get a new PSU. Sorry for the trouble guys, i feel like a jackass now.