PDA

View Full Version : USB Problem

Dally
03-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I bought a 4 port USB 1.1 Hub from DSE and connected it to one of my 2 USB ports using bus power mode and then connected the scanner to the hub. "Device Manager" confirmed it was working properly. So far OK but as soon as I tried to connect my digital camera to the hub both my USB ports went dead. The question is if I try to get round the problem by putting in a PCI USB card is it likely to work.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Does this hub go by power??? You shouldnt need a PCI card if u have a hub.
and it runs from power....

Dally
03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
What I was hoping to do was to put in a PCI USB card to give me some USB ports as in connecting my camera to the hub it caused both my computer USB ports to go completely dead. Now I have no working USB ports and hoped that whatever was affecting them would not influence the PCI slot that I would use for the USB card.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 02:52 PM
You can buy a PCI card if u want, but whatever it is shouldnt kill the USB ports, if the hub goes by power. I would check device manager, and see if the USB ports still appear here. Noone has disabled the USB ports in the BIOS have they?

Also, are these USB ports the ones built in USB 1.1 or USB 2?

Dally
03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Device manager says USB ports not working. They are 1.1. and USB ports were not disabled in BIOS. The hub has two ways to power - Bus power and adapter. When it killed my USB ports it was on Bus power.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Hmmm delete those entries and reboot. See what that does.

Maybe the power supply u have in the case is too low or something? How many watts is the power supply?

Dally
03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks SG - I did try a reboot but they are still dead. Not sure about the power supply but everything else is working fine. Only went for the hub because I was getting so many devices that were off USBs and only having two and fiddling round the back was getting to be a pain.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmmm is this a pc you put together Dally, or did u buy it as a system from somewhere?

And what exactly does this error say?? Under the USB ports??

Dally
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi SG The computer is a Dell GX1 (Steam Driven) which I've added bits and pieces to like a DVD combo drive and more HD. I've been through the Device Manager trouble shooter again in case I missed something but still "this device is not working". Your power theory may be the answer - I was probably asking it to do more than it was capable of

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
The power supply maybe the prob, BUT if that USB hub can connect to a power supply, it shouldnt matter. That should have fixed the prob. BUT strange something has killed the USB port/s altogether. It might also have something to do with what else u have in the case. Like hdd/cd/dvd etc...And how many of them are in the case.

Dally
03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your help SG. I might just have to try the PCI USB card option with fingers crossed

annie
03-01-2005, 09:24 PM
I had a similar problem about 6 months ago, with a Dell dimension P3 system, almost 4 years old. My palm had died and I bought a new one, but it wouldn't synchronise through the old USB ports. I found several threads in various help forums from people with the same problem, and one of them had got things going again by adding in USB/PCI ports.
I got a DSE PCI card, and got no further with it, it just wouldn't functionm with either the new palm (or with a digital camera). The card came with no drivers - the drivers were to be picked up off the Win 98 SE CD, which I thought seemed a bit dodgy in view of their age, and I couldn't find new drivers on the internet.
I then got a more expensive PCI/USB card from Quay Computers which came with an installation CD, installed it and it worked - and has continued to do so without problems.
It may be that you have to bite the bullet and get a better card.

Murray P
03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
What OS are you running Dally?

Unfortunately USB and win98 don't always have a happy time together. USB hubs and many devices like cameras and scanners often don't have a happy time together. Some USB chipsets and/or cheap hubs or add in cards don't have a happy time with anything, sometimes they just work, but!.

A good place to start for USB troubleshooting is USB Man (http://www.usbman.com/) :cool: He helped me out after installing a generic PCI USB card that trashed my all my USB, or rather the crudy drivers did. :thumbs:

Agent_24
03-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Perhaps the hub drew too much current, and damaged some component of the USB?

Dally
04-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Annie, Murray P and Agent. I may be in Wellington tomorrow and will go in Quay computers and have a look and a word with them. My OS is XP Pro. The hub worked OK with just the scanner connected but crashed my USBs as soon as I connected the camera.

Peter H
04-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm using a DSE PCI to USB 2.0 on this with no problems. W98se. Drivers were supplied.
Bye