PDA

View Full Version : Security Centre (XP) Botch

John D
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
If done something I think I should not of done, that is to allow the security centre to handle the anti- virus protection (Norton).

The problem is that Nortons anti-virus does not auto update its definition files.
I'm thought perhaps it is because I have the Auto updates on the Security centre set to ( Notify me but don't automatically down load and install them)
I have this setting so I can control the windows updates.
I'm guessing this is now buggered up the Nortons own updating tool.

I would like to reset the Security Centres setting on the Virus Protection to where it used to say that I will allow Norton look after my after my virus protection.
I have not been sucessfull in doing this

Thanks John D

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Sometimes, u have to update Nortons manually. Otherwise it doesnt update at all. The automatic update option in security centre, has nothing to do with the Norton updates. (As you've said, this is for XP updates).

Liveupdate does this. (For Nortons).

If u select Liveupdate in Nortons and next, this will check for updates and then u can select what u want to update.

Just as long as Firewall is ON (depending on whether u have Norton Internet Security is ON), Automatic Updates is ON , or off, and Security Centre identifies that Nortons Internet Security, or the Antivirus is ON, I wouldnt worry about it.

John D
03-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Ok then I can accept that but I have been updating (Manual) for some time now on Nortons and it still won't do it by itself.
John

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 12:52 PM
So, even if u select Liveupdate and update it doesnt bring up any updates? Or it shows updates, BUT doesnt work when u click on next.

John D
03-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes the manualy selected liveupdate works like it has allways done. You can select and click next an away it goes.

What does the virus protection setting on the security centre do any way.
What does the off or on setting change in what the security centre does.

godfather
03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
The security centre simply monitors the date of any antivirus update in the most common anti-virus applications and warns you if it is too old.

It does not update it or otherwise interfere though.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
What does the virus protection setting on the security centre do any way.

What does the off or on setting change in what the security centre does.

It just tells u its up to date, the virus scanner and firewall if u use something else besides XP's firewall. Thats if u have the WMI update from Symantec installed. And depending on whether the version of the antivirus/firewall is compatible with XP SP2. The On/Off options dont mean much. Just tells u that the virus scanner and firewall as above is up to date. BUT if u use liveupdate and keep whatever up to date anyway, u dont need Security Centre.

John D
03-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks Speedy and godfather,

Thanks for the explanation that helps me tracking done my fault with the anti-virus live-updater.And yes I have the WMI update installed.

This is not the first time I have this particular fault, I believe the virus definitions get corrupted some times couldn't resolve it so I reinstalled Nortons. The last time was at least 18 months ago. So I guess I can do it again but boy does the updating take awhile.

Thanks again John D

Agent_24
03-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Go to norton antivirus options and turn automatic live-update on ?