PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Pavilion 521A

chiefnz
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to upgrade his Pavilion 521A desktop - well at least the memory and CPU.

I've got all the specs I need for the RAM (PC133 SD RAM 168 pin) the only thing I can't find out is the maximum FSB and the maximum CPU speed the board will handle. It has an Intel 810e chipset which supports PIII and Celeron CPU's. Now I'm thinking it's a socket 478 Celery rather than a PIII as I've never seen a 1.3Ghz PIII the fastest PIII I've seen was 1.2Ghz I think, I checked the Intel site and the fastest PIII they have produced was a 1.26Ghz CPU.

I'm on the phone with HP now but I"ve been on hold for 30 minutes.

Thought I'd post this and see if anyone might be able to help.

PC current specs are

Celeron 1.3Ghz
Intel 810e chipset
128MB SD RAM
Runs Windows XP Home (Like a dog I might add... absolutely gutless)

thanks in advance

cheers

chiefnz

whetu
03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
take a look inside, the motherboard will probably be labelled Asus or Intel, either way you can go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and get the required info from them

tweak'e
03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
if i remember correctly the 810 chipset is socket 370. the p3 went up to 1.3 ghz but a lot where recalled due to stability problems.

max fsb will be 133. max ram 512 meg dual sided but cant use high denisty modules.

if you even find who made the board i think you will be lucky if they support it. even asus dosn't support a lot of their OEM boards, but you might just get lucky ;-)

BIFF
03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
It may have a tualatin celeron, as these went to 1.4GHz. If it takes tualatin CPUs then I would suspect that the fastest processor the board would take is a 1.4GHz PIII Tualatin. Of course that processor is as rare as hens teeth as it was a rather special beast with 512KB of L2 cache, and will likely cost an arm and a leg. If it is a tualatin celeron then it's not a bad CPU anyway as it has a 100MHz FSB and 256KB of cache. I'd just do the RAM and perhaps a faster hard drive.

whetu
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
if you even find who made the board i think you will be lucky if they support it. even asus dosn't support a lot of their OEM boards, but you might just get lucky ;-)

My suggestion wasnt one of support, my suggestion was one of getting information. There's an ever so subtle difference between bios/drivers/support centre and information incl end-user manuals. There's a wealth of information you can obtain by RTFM/STFW ;)

tweak'e
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM
sorry whetu :)

most of the time i have found the ONLY mention of the boards was "we made it for xyz company, go see them for any info."

the highlander
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to upgrade his Pavilion 521A desktop - well at least the memory and CPU.

I've got all the specs I need for the RAM (PC133 SD RAM 168 pin) the only thing I can't find out is the maximum FSB and the maximum CPU speed the board will handle. It has an Intel 810e chipset which supports PIII and Celeron CPU's. Now I'm thinking it's a socket 478 Celery rather than a PIII as I've never seen a 1.3Ghz PIII the fastest PIII I've seen was 1.2Ghz I think, I checked the Intel site and the fastest PIII they have produced was a 1.26Ghz CPU.

I'm on the phone with HP now but I"ve been on hold for 30 minutes.

Thought I'd post this and see if anyone might be able to help.

PC current specs are

Celeron 1.3Ghz
Intel 810e chipset
128MB SD RAM
Runs Windows XP Home (Like a dog I might add... absolutely gutless)

thanks in advance

cheers

chiefnz
If its an 810e chipset then its definitely socket 370 and a processor upgrade is really not an option, from memory the max fsb is 133 and since its a hp it will have no overclocking features available in the bios.
Every HP I have ever worked runs like a dog comparitive to generic builds with the same specs.
IF it is running a hp xp or me install from its native recovery disks then quite an improvement can be made. A fresh install of plain vanilla xp/me can work wonders since the hp recovery disks contain so much hp life sucking, processor thirsty crapware.
Definitely go for at least 256 meg of ram preferably 512
and a 7200 hardrive

just reread and see it has 128 megs ram

:eek:
That wouldn't help much either