PDA

View Full Version : Video capturing and sound card

FoxyMX
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Browsing through the archives for video capturing information it has been said that a good quality sound card is essential for the job.

Is this to get good quality sound or is it because you can't capture the sound without a sound card? My computer only has onboard sound.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Just as long as u have a line in on your soundcard, and u configure / set this up properly, you'll get sound. And you connect the cables in the right place, you'll get sound. I dont think it matters what soundcard u have. It depends on how good the original sound is from the source, you're recording from.

I spose it also depends on what the source is, video recorder, or digital video cam thru firewire. Digital video cam, all u need is either USB 2 or firewire, which xfers whatever video to your hdd, then u can edit it, title it, whatever, then burn it. You dont need to fiddle around with the soundcard/line in.

If the video u have on a digital video cam, has sound it'll get xferred across to the hdd with video and sound.

FoxyMX
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Just as long as u have a line in on your soundcard, and u configure / set this up properly, you'll get sound. And you connect the cables in the right place, you'll get sound.
I am going to have to fish my motherboard manual out to clarify exactly what one of them is but there is a green port that the speakers are plugged into, a blue one (the line in??) and a pink one that is for the microphone. I don't know if that is sufficient or not.

I spose it also depends on what the source is
The main sources are family movies, recorded on an analogue camera, and some video tapes. I will be using the camera and video recorder to get them onto my hard drive for editing then transfer them to CDs or DVDs.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
On this soundcard, which is onboard blue is line in, pink is mic, and green is line out. I think more recent mobos should be the same.

All you would have to do is plug an rca cable into the audio out of the vcr, and plug it into the line in (blue most probably) of your soundcard, and make sure line in is ticked in Volume control under control Panel / Sounds/Audio.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Have you got a video capture card installed? I take it, you have something?

FoxyMX
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Have you got a video capture card installed? I take it, you have something?
Not yet, I will be getting one shortly. Needed to know whether a sound card is required or not so that I could order one at the same time if necessary.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
No worries :) hth