PDA

View Full Version : Modem dials up, connects, but that's it!

smee
02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I have an "Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem" I can dial up to server but then it stops (Doesn't freeze) just won't download or upload data. Tried reinstalling driver to no avail. could it be faulty modem ? ? it's only 9mths old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom S...

ninja
02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
So it connects, the connection stays on but you can't get web traffic.

Have you tried pinging something.

Try going Start --> Run --> command

At the prompt type:

ping www.google.com

and see if it works

Then try

ping 202.154.150.35

See if that works.

Sounds like your TCP/IP might br shot. If you have a firewall, try disabling that.

Post back the results of the ping test.

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Once u connect, can u use the browser?? If you use Windows?? If not this maybe a sign of a worm. ie: The bagle/beagle worm.

I fixed a mates pc that had this prob (if yours cant use the browser. As this worm disables a firewall (if u use one like NIS 2003/2005), and in turn shuts u out of the browser...and puts a few 100 files on your system.

Growly
03-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Last time I saw this happen it was a DNS issue - go to the connection properties (will vary depending on your OS, which I don't know) and manually enter in your ISP's DNS server address. Xtra's are 202.27.184.3 and 202.27.184.5

Davesdad
03-01-2005, 08:44 PM
What is your Operating System? The fix required could be different depending on the OS.

smee
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
The OS is win/98se
Tried the "Ping Thing" got "no server found" when ping on google, Got "4 packets sent 100% not returned" on address: 202.154.150.35
It has an anti-virus but will check again for a worm etc.
ihug is the server will check address and try that also, it's set on auto at the mo.

Thanx for advice so far.

tweak'e
05-01-2005, 10:53 PM
have you installed the dailup networking 1.4 upgrade ??

smee
19-01-2005, 10:07 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED ! !

After trying everyones sugestions NO Satisfaction, SO, I Used the "FINAL SOLUTION"

FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE

It worked a treat. (Drastic I know but effective)

:thumbs:

Thanx to all who contributed.

Metla
19-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Pity, I could have solved the issue for you.

Well,That is to say I had a suggestion that may have been a fix, Was probally barred from the forum at the time though (seemed to be all the fashion last week)

Drumroll please

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Worth checking out for anyone faced with such a situation.

~sy~
19-01-2005, 11:34 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED ! !

After trying everyones sugestions NO Satisfaction, SO, I Used the "FINAL SOLUTION"

FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE

It worked a treat. (Drastic I know but effective)

:thumbs:

Thanx to all who contributed.
Format is so damn useful isn't it ;) At work, we often run into trouble with the computer, and because it is a retail environment where theres usually customers waiting to pay -and only one computer to do it with, we use Control-Alt-Delete. Boy does it work like a treat! :D

Prescott
20-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Pity, I could have solved the issue for you.

Well,That is to say I had a suggestion that may have been a fix, Was probally barred from the forum at the time though (seemed to be all the fashion last week)

Drumroll please

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Worth checking out for anyone faced with such a situation.

i was fixing a freinds pc the other day, it was loaded with spyware and viruses, i took ages trying to update avg after it updated i cleaned out the system but the net was still really slow, i gave winsock fix a go and that fixed the net, brilliant peice of software