PDA

View Full Version : CD rom, where are u?

roberts wheel
02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I have OS Windows 98, with CD burnewr and CD Drive.
My problem is that my CD Drive has disappeared from "My Computer" icon.
I've searched and I've searched but cannot find it anywhere.
Putting in a CD doesn't help, either - I'm unable to use it.
Is there anyone who can help me find this jolly thing?
:groan:

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I would check the bios. See if it shows them in there. Whats it say in device manager?? under cds/dvds?

roberts wheel
02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks - can you tell me where to llok for the bios? - PC newbie

Andale Andale

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Umm u press F1/F2/F10 or the delete when u boot up the computer. It could be any of these keys. It usually tells u to press a key to get into the BIOS on startup. Thats the key u press.

roberts wheel
02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
I've pressed the F2 key which has taken me into the startup - the only thing I can find there, is the "type" of CD - ATAPI CD ROM - is that what I'm looking for? and if so, where to from here?? :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Thats it if u have a cd and a cd burner do BOTH of them show up in the BIOS. And say their brand/model. NOT just ATAPI CD ROM?

If they do, I would boot into 98. And then go to control panel/device manager look under the entries for CD/DVD. See if there are any X's?? Something might be conflicting.

roberts wheel
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I've managed to get a D Droive going, which is the CD rom. Problem with that one, is that the tray to this drive was broken by children - kids! who'd have them?

I used to have two drives - D and E.
The D drive is showing now in "My Computer" but unfortunately that doesn't really help me. - It's the E Drive that's disappeared.
It doesn't show in the BIOS or Control Panel - have I removed it somehow?

Also on boot up of PC, the error message "cannot find Windows/newdot~dll" displays - any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Hmm try this microsoft site for the fix

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302463

Is this error on the pc youre using, or another pc?? Can u use the browser on whichever pc this error appears on??

For the cd, if it doesnt appear in the BIOS or Windows, I would open the case, and see if the cd or both cd's have power going to them and the data cable going to both of them is in properly.. The ide cable going to these cd's may also need replacing... Have u got a spare IDE cable you could use??

roberts wheel
02-01-2005, 10:39 PM
The error message that I got is on the PC that I'm using, so I don't have a problem connecting to the net - I have a dial up modem.

The error message showed up after rebooting the PC.

IDE cables - can you tell me where I can get one from? and is it a specific cable for my PC - ie HP compatible, IBM compatible?

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
IDE cables are usually all the same. It doesnt matter what system you have.

They're 40 pin and usually connect to the motherboard, one end of this connection is usually (grey/blue/black), on the end you connect to the motherboard, and the other end connects to an ide device (cd/dvd/hard drive etc). Did u install the cd / cd burner?? You may have put the IDE cable around the wrong way?? On an IDE cable there's a red stripe on one side, of this cable. This MUST go to PIN 1 of the ide device. otherwise that device wont work properly. Altho most ide devices, these days have a notch, so the ribbon can only go in one way. BUT not the other. Any computer shop should have / sell IDE cables. Just go into one and ask for an IDE cable. They'll know what you mean. You can also get IDE cables that have a blue connection which plugs into the motherboard connector. It maybe better if u ask for one of these, for the burner. It might help it.

Ok umm go to start/run type regedit. Go here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

And here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

Look in the right window. If there's an entry with newdot in it. Highlight it and delete it. That should get rid of this error. Then reboot the system.