PDA

View Full Version : my sony vaio screen goes crazy at start up

anthonypopowitz
02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
my screen will blink and behave crazy at startup,
almost looks like vertical blinds moving up or down.
when the "blinds slow" they get wider then eventually stop and i can see the screen. i thought it might be a virus, because after i stop a suspucios script from my macafee it never does it. any suggestions?

if i reboot, it only comes back on.
also moved to a place with a metal roof, could this be a problem? (like when you hold a speaker up to a screen)

any suggestions or experiences would be helpful.

godfather
02-01-2005, 11:42 AM
The Vaio is a desktop? Or a laptop? Could be either.

If it's a laptop or the screen is an LCD, then magnetic interference is not an issue.
If its a desktop/CRT display, its still highly unlikely unless the roof is highly magnetised and is within a foot or two - not likely in either case.

Perhaps some detail on the hardware would help.

HadO
02-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Has it always done this?

It's not an AUTO-Degauss function is it? Some monitors do have them...

anthonypopowitz
02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
It's not an AUTO-Degauss function is it?

i dont know what that is... could you tell me?
no, it has not always done this

it is a mobil intel grx520 laptop. with standard software from sony. 32mb ram 1.6ghz
and a 15.0 xga tft screen

HadO
02-01-2005, 01:23 PM
OK If it's a laptop then it wont be a degauss.

Degauss is used on CRT screens to rectify inteference caused by magnetic fields from other electronic devices.

LCD screens in laptops dont have this function.

Billy T
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Degauss is used on CRT screens to rectify inteference caused by magnetic fields from other electronic devices.

Actually, no HadO it isn't used for that at all.

Degaussing is used to remove the effects of the earth's static magnetic field and it has no effect whatsoever on interference from dynamic field sources.

It can be of limited help in removing minor discolouration caused by stereo speakers too close to the screen, but moving the speakers further away is an even better idea.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

HadO
02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I was waiting for that :)

I forgot to mention about the earth but thanks for clearing that up.

Jen
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
i thought it might be a virus, because after i stop a suspucios script from my macafee it never does it.What is the name of this script/process that you are stopping?

anthonypopowitz
03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
the script it stops is.

c:\programfiles\support.com\client\lserver\Server. vbs

i have no idea if this would relate to my screen problem.

godfather
03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
That script is part of the Sony support software, and is not actually required if you don't wish to use the Vaio support agent, it's regarded as spyware hence Mcafee stops it.

Its not likely to be related to your problem.

The 32MB RAM you mention is the dedicated graphics RAM.

Reload the system video drivers as a start.