PDA

View Full Version : Dial up - connection speed

sarel
02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi guys

I noticed the other day that when I connect (dial-up, Clearnet) I connect at say 50 - 53.2 Kbps most of the time. A few times I've disconnected and suddenly remembered that I forgot to do something else on the Net, and when I connect again (30 secs after disconnecting) the modem will connect at 30-35 Kbps. Nothing added, no changes, all settings the same. Now it does not bother me at all - I just disconnect again and try until it connect at say 50. I just wondered why it happens on the 1.7P3WinXp40G HD and it did not happen on my old P2 355 WinMe?

I also checked the FAQ's - a lot of suggestions but nothing to explain what happens.

What a boring life if I have to post such a silly thread on a Sunday - lol

sarel :confused: :confused:

godfather
02-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Many possible reasons, including line noise on the phone or issues with hardware and software.

The "connect speed" is not a good indicator of the actual transfer speed, as the modem can retrain up or down in speed after it connects, to accommodate any errors associated with the line or modem.

If the data transfers at an acceptable speed, ignore the "connect speed".

Internal PCI modems are wholly dependent on all other hardware and software in the PC allowing them to work optimally, and variations will occur that the modem drivers can not predict.

While internal modems work well most of the time, the only way to get 100% reliability is usually to use a serial RS232 connected external modem, as these have their own CPU and firmware, with no dependence on the computer hardware and software for operation - but they are expensive.

sarel
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks Goddie - I've read a lot of posts with similar comments - but if I disconnect/connect immediately there shouldn't be such a big difference in line speed/noise/whatever. When I disconnect again and connect again it connects at say 50 (whatever) - no problem - the question is why does the modem connect ar 32 (or whatever) after having been on a higher speed.

sarel

godfather
02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
It's an internal PCI modem?

Read the last bit of my post. Its wholly dependent on everything else running to play ball.

sarel
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Internal PCI problem - I wouldn't have a clue. Saying that, it probably is a PCI problem and I just wonder whether I perhaps should accept it with grace or perhaps D/L a new driver (if available). I really do not want to b*gger this PC up like I've done before.

sarel

beama
02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
if you just disconnected then reconnect at a lower speed I suspect that the cpu may be still trying to cleanup resources after your last session and there fore cant committ al of it capibilties to your new session.
WIN modems, which most modern pc come with today( unless replaced by a externel rs232 modem) reley on the cpu to exercute instructions, winmodems are mearly an electronic relay device between the pc hardware (cpu) and the telephone line ie they convert the digital signal generated by the cpu to analog for transmission.
I have the same issue with my modem. I just put it down to life

godfather
02-01-2005, 11:35 AM
When I was on dial-up, I quickly tired of WinModems (internal PCI modems) and moved to an external RS232 serial modem. No more problems, just good reliable data transfer.

They are less popular as they cost about $150, vs about $20 for a WinModem.

The best bit that I found in making the change was the satisfying "clunk" that the WinModem made when I chucked it in the bin ...

sarel
02-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks Beama - will do the same

Goddie - yeah I'll probably do that in the future (go for a clunk) but it will have to wait a bit until the Christmas spending is finished and tallied up. lol

sarel