PDA

View Full Version : FC3. Session less than 10 seconds

Antonia
01-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Dell 2400
Windows XP SP2
Fedora Core 3
Using Grub bootloader with WinXp as default

After updates, including Kernel, Fedora has become default in grub and gives only a second to opt for WinXP.
When logging into Fedora, either as antonia or root, the following message appears:
Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. Viewing ~/.xsession errorfiles:
/etc/X11/gdm/Presession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/Presession/Default: running:/usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var /log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.xservers" -h " " -1 ":0" "antonia"

I can not login to Fedora as antonia or root for more than a second, but I can get to a terminal or safe environment

When I manage to grab the grub menu before Fedora boots as default I get the option to edit or modify the kernel arguments before booting.

Pressing E for edit brings up Fedora bootsequence as :
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=/dev/Volgroup00/Logvol100 rhgbinitrd/initrid -2.6.9.-1.681_fc3.img

WinXP as: rootnoverify(hd0,0)
chainloader +1

The previous kernel is also in the bootloader. (Have not had a chance to remove it as yet)
What is the cause of the problem and how can I fix it? Help appreciated
Antonia

Jen
01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Well for starters, lets get GRUB sorted so that you have more time to select XP and to change XP to default if you wish.

nano -w /etc/grub.confTo change XP to default, you need to use the arrows on the keyboard to navigate to this section:

default=0
timeout=5The default section selects the default system to boot. 0 indicates it is the first title entry which is normally your latest kernel, 1 will be the next title entry after that and so on. Change that 0 to the title entry for XP (probably 3, which should be two FC kernels and then the XP section?).

Next, change the timeout=5 to whatever time you wish in seconds to have before the default OS is loaded.

Once you have finished editing grub.conf, press CTRL-O to overwrite the old file, (y to confirm), and then CTRL-X to exit out of nano. Reboot your machine and check this fixes your bootmanager problem.

How much space did you allow for FC on your hard drive?

Jen
01-01-2005, 07:56 PM
OK, I have been doing some googling and have some more questions. Did you delete anything out of /tmp? When you are in the terminal, try this to see what permissions tmp has:
cd /
ls -lYou should get this for tmp drwxrwxrwt root root.
Another thing to give a shot is this. At the Graphical login manager selection, click on Session and select gnome and then enter in your username and password as per normal. See if this makes a difference.

Antonia
03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jen, all fixed now.
Grub default needed to be 2. (0 +1 for the two kernels and 2 for WinXP)

Your suggestion of trying to login to Gnome started me on the solution for the other problem.
Gnome is my default desktop so that had already been tried.
I never use KDE but I had installed it at the same time as updating the kernel to see whether it would help to solve sound problems. So I tried to login to KDE and that was succesful.
I checked the add/remove programs and installed "kdeadmin" and because the errormessages mentioned X11, also " X org-X11nest".
One or the other fixed errors and everything is working smoothly.

Thansk again, you always give me hope and confidence.

Jen
03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Good to hear you have it all sorted now Antonia :)

You sound like a person who doesn't give up at the first hurdle, and most Linux users tend to be a bit determined minded :D

I suspect logging in with KDE fixed your issue (using a different X window environment), as from the X11 error messages you just mentioned, it was looking like a locked xsession issue and the X11-nested error is suggestive of that as well. Xnest is a X server which runs within another X server, so I imagine something got tangled up there.

Onwards and upwards now! :thumbs: