PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Standby link

somebody
01-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Running WinXP Home with SP2

I'm trying to create shortcut to "Standby" my computer, which I can map to one of the shortcut keys on my keyboard. I have hunted through Google, through PressF1's search, and cannot find anything.

The shutdown.exe tool does not seem to have a standby function.

Anyone have any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Try this

Then, back at your desktop, use the following command lines for your shortcuts.

Shutdown
shutdown2.exe -u -t 0

Restart
shutdown2.exe -r -t 0

Log Off
shutdown2.exe -I

Note the -t switch, this stands for TIME. -t 0 means the shutdown or reboot action will begin immediately without delay after clicking your shortcut. If you wanted to hold off the shutdown and restart for a certain length of time, for whatever reason, then just indicate the number of seconds after the -t. i.e. -t 30 would wait 30 seconds before shutting down or restarting.

If you'd like to try the default shutdown utility shipped with XP and 2k, click Start>Run and type
SHUTDOWN /?
This will show you all the options you can use with it.

You can also use this method to see all your options for shutdown2.exe.Just type
SHUTDOWN2 /?
instead.

You can also create hibernate or standby shortcuts. For this, Windows own shortcut utility works fine.

For standby use:
shutdown.exe -s

For hibernate use:
shutdown.exe -h

You can use the - t switch with the above as well. In fact , you can use the -t with any of the shutdown actions. i.e.: shutdown.exe -s -t 45 would countdown 45 seconds before beginning standby.

You might also find it convenient to assign keyboard shortcuts to any of your shutdown shortcuts. A handy one might be for the straight shutdown shortcut. Assign it to Ctrl-Alt -S, for example.
To do this:
Right click the shutdown shortcut you created on your desktop and go to Properties.
There you will see the Shortcut key box. Just type S in the box and it will change to Ctr-Alt-S.
Click Ok to save your changes and you are done.

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Or even better get a kb with a Sleep function on it.

Jen
01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
A friendly tip Speedy Gonzales, if you do a cut and paste of someone else's work it is only polite to acknowledge the original author to give them their due credit for it. Just add a link to the source of your copied information in your post.

somebody
01-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Or even better get a kb with a Sleep function on it.
This is a brand new keyboard, which I like (wireless plus anti-RSI) and I don't intend on replacing it.

I have tried the shutdown -s function, and all that does is shut down my computer - I actually Googled and found the exact same article which you posted.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Anyone with any other ideas??

somebody
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
bump

Elephant
01-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Running WinXP Home with SP2

I'm trying to create shortcut to "Standby" my computer, which I can map to one of the shortcut keys on my keyboard. I have hunted through Google, through PressF1's search, and cannot find anything.

The shutdown.exe tool does not seem to have a standby function.

Anyone have any ideas?I'm not sure how you can map a keypress to "standby"
You can have a look at Power Options in Control Panel and press the "Power Off" button which can put the computer in standby mode. You can set the Power Off to go to standby mode.

I tried this using WinXP Pro. I might add this worked for me.

These things are possibly dependant on your BIOS, O/S and Keyboard as well.

I might add that most keypresses can be used for different functions.

You might need to remap a function key or combination.

somebody
01-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure how you can map a keypress to "standby"
You can have a look at Power Options in Control Panel and press the "Power Off" button which can put the computer in standby mode. You can set the Power Off to go to standby mode.

I tried this using WinXP Pro. I might add this worked for me.

These things are possibly dependant on your BIOS, O/S and Keyboard as well.

I might add that most keypresses can be used for different functions.

You might need to remap a function key or combination.
Yeah - I want to remap a function key (that part is easy), to put the computer into sleep mode. I used to be able to do it, as my old keyboard had a "sleep" button. I remember someone had posted a particular way to create a shortcut which would do it, but I can't remember or find it.

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
This works

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Create a new shortcut on the desktop and assign it a F key thru properties/shortcut key. Once u make the shortcut.

Elephant
01-01-2005, 10:40 PM
This works

Create a new shortcut on the desktop and assign it a F key thru properties/shortcut key. Once u make the shortcut.I cut and pasted the rundll command above into Start > Run and executed. The computer went into Standby mode quite happily.

I am not sure why we need to get into Standby mode in the first place but I do know when I came out of Standby I had to redial my Internet connection.

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 10:44 PM
lol thats right it cuts u off when u go into standby. So, I see no point in using it. If you're conected at the time.

pheonix
01-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Some vbs scripts that allow shutdown, standby, hibernate here...

http://www.tabletpctalk.com/faqs/turnoffcomputer.shtml

somebody
02-01-2005, 08:26 AM
This works

Create a new shortcut on the desktop and assign it a F key thru properties/shortcut key. Once u make the shortcut.
Thanks Speedy Gonzales - works great.

comper6
27-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I have a good idea. Itmay be slower depending on your computer speed but its worth a shot. I made a batch file named standby.bat and it uses info directly off microsoft. Just put it in notepad or another batch editor and save it to your desktop:

@echo off
powercfg -h off
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf SetSuspendState
powercfg -h on
exit
Explanation:
1)Turns echo off
2)turns hibernate off so you will standby instead of hibernate
3)Standbys the computer if hibernate is off but hibernates if hibernate is on
4)turns hibernate back on
5)exits the program

Hope this helps
-comper

Renmoo
27-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Some laptops now come with a built-in shortcut key combo for Standby / Hibernate (normally Fn + F1).

Cheers :)

Erayd
27-05-2008, 11:53 AM
This thread is over three years old guys...