PDA

View Full Version : Removing GRUB & preparing to install Gentoo etc.

jcr1
01-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I am just about ready to have another go at installing Gentoo (I haven't forgotten your offer of assistance Chill, it's just that I've been extremely busy, but I should get some free time in the next few days. I'm keen to give it a go); I have downloaded the "Universal CD" and printed out most of the handbook as from time to time I find hard copy easier, not to say I won't use the manual on line.

Anyway, last time I tried this it mucked up GRUB & I couldn't boot into anything (I run Libranet on a 10 gig partition on a second hard drive - XP runs on the rest). I ended up having to re-install Grub from the Libranet installation disc just so I could get into Windows to do my day-to-day stuff.

I'm not too concerned about replacing Libranet with Gentoo and I think before I start I should remove Grub. That would be less of a complication for me, I think. Then just use Grub that installs with Gentoo.

Grub is found in /boot. If I type rm grub; will that do the job?

Jen
01-01-2005, 04:47 PM
You have a couple of options:

If you wish to keep Libranet and use its GRUB bootloader for XP/Libranet/Gentoo, then don't install GRUB at all during the Gentoo installation process, but make sure that the file format you use for Gentoo isn't Resier4 (this can't be read by Libranet). When Gentoo is installed, you will not be able to access it until you add a reference to its partition/kernel bootfiles in Libranet's grub.conf so that it appears on GRUB bootmanager page (details can be provided how later if you want this).

If you wish to completely wipe Libranet, then just remove all the Linux partitions and let Gentoo format and reparition that drive space and install GRUB in the MBR.

Grub is found in /boot. If I type rm grub; will that do the job?You only need to install GRUB in the MBR from the Gentoo system to get rid of Libranet's bootloader, as this will overwrite what is already there.

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2005, 12:18 AM
It could be dead simple to run both Gentoo and Libranet! It could be a pain in the ass to do it otherwise...

For simplicities sake, I'd recommend overwriting Libranet if you dont think you'll mind it too much... Besides, once youve gone Gentoo - You wont go back ;)

Good luck :) Ive not done it using the Universal LiveCD before, so lemme know how you get on.

Cheers

Chill.