PDA

View Full Version : Clean & reinstall of ME on old pc

Colin Green
01-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi,
I've set up my new machine with ME and have attempted to do a clean up of my old machine and reinstal ME. I had no joy trying to format the drive as the machine keeps stopping when at 73% of pre-reading b4 formating (with message - insufficient memory) I tried a new instal over the top (twice) but got blue screen error after instal (while starting re-configering of hardware devices) can't re start (except in boot mode), tried to uninstal but get message (error reading cd) Am almost at wits end and am ready to employ C:sledgehammer.exe. Please help me clean this B.....

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Are you booting from the cd (changed the bootdisk in BIOS to CD), and booting from cd, then formatting/installing windows me??

U cant format windows, if youre using it. I would also clean / wipe the cd. It maybe dirty or your cdrom maybe faulty.

How much memory have u got in the system??

beama
01-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Colin
Just looked up an earlier thread of yours that seems to refer to the same install are you still having problems with this install?
Two things that maybe effecting this install you say that it BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death) and gives error meassage of not enough memory

Areas I would look at

Get memtest86 and run it, you may have faulty RAM, this application will tell you if you have. You'll have to google it I'm afraid, its freeware.
if possible run scandisk from your boot disk and do a surface scan you may have bad sectors on your hard drive.
The reason I would start here is you say this reinstall on an old machine

good luck

Colin Green
01-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you booting from the cd (changed the bootdisk in BIOS to CD), and booting from cd, then formatting/installing windows me??

U cant format windows, if youre using it. I would also clean / wipe the cd. It maybe dirty or your cdrom maybe faulty.

No I haven't tried bios change of booting sequence..... will give it a go.

I have just recently formated a new machine after a ME install... see earlier thread.

The cd rom may be suspect but seems to have read ok to re-load ME.... it does however go blue in the face when first trying to select device drivers, but shouldn't be reading from cd by then, as it has completed loading and re-booted ok to that point.

have 256 mb ram

Colin Green
01-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Colin
Just looked up an earlier thread of yours that seems to refer to the same install are you still having problems with this install?
Two things that maybe effecting this install you say that it BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death) and gives error meassage of not enough memory

Areas I would look at

Get memtest86 and run it, you may have faulty RAM, this application will tell you if you have. You'll have to google it I'm afraid, its freeware.
if possible run scandisk from your boot disk and do a surface scan you may have bad sectors on your hard drive.
The reason I would start here is you say this reinstall on an old machine

good luck

No, not same install.. got that one sorted (thanks) this is a clean up of the old machine for my kids.

Will have a look for memtest86 (thanks) and give it a whirl.

Have run full surface scan.. no problems there, perhaps the ram has suddenly become faulty..... though does register in bios ok.

Perhaps I could pull the drive and plug it into my new machine, then delete and re-format????

Colin Green
01-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Tried the bios-boot change to cd..... with exactly the same results :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Well I would either get a new Windows ME CD, or buy a completely different version of Windows. Or replace the cd rom.

drb1
01-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Perhaps I could pull the drive and plug it into my new machine, then delete and re-format????[/QUOTE]

Probably the simplest answer.

if it turns to custard again, you know where to look.

D.