PDA

View Full Version : CWS Removal Tool

Dannz
31-12-2004, 06:01 PM
I have just used the CWS Removal Tool on my computer and i am now unable to access the internet someone help me please

Before anybody asks i am using another computer

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Youre not on a network are u?? I would go to start/run type msconfig if u have XP and see whats under the startup tab. Or go into the registry
and see whats here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

and here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Tell us whats in the right window... The prob maybe here

Dannz
31-12-2004, 06:12 PM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
CTFMON.exe
msmmsgr
SpybotSD TeaTimer
SysTime

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
CloneCD
ProtectKey
Mirabilis ICQ
System: PPFSYS
SysTiem
Zone Labs Client

But i am sure there is a program you can run i did it last time but i cant remember now

Dannz
31-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Come on people i need help

Dannz
31-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Never Mind i have found the program http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I would remove teatimer. That file is annoying. It'll ask u if u wanna add something to the registry. If u select NO then the program may not work.

I would also delete systime (if this is systime.exe). It looks like spyware or something.

Thats part of CWS. Not too sure what System: PPFSYS is in startup. It isnt part of Windows. And I dont think msmmsgr is part of windows either.

Never heard of protectkey either.

If u have XP i would type msconfig go to startup tab then untick teatimer, systime, PPFSYS and protectkey then reboot. If everything works I would delete them from the run entries in the registry.

Dannz
31-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I know what all but systime are

godfather
31-12-2004, 06:58 PM
It's a trojan
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_STRTPAGE.O&VSect=T

Cicero
31-12-2004, 07:31 PM
I have just used the CWS Removal Tool on my computer and i am now unable to access the internet someone help me please

Before anybody asks i am using another computer
Is any of this related to CWS?

tweak'e
31-12-2004, 07:40 PM
yes.

sometimes if spyware isn't removed correctly it can cause loss of internet which with XP is not always an easy thing to fix.

ninja
31-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Below is a quick and easy way to reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP - it'll fix most "no traffic" problems.

Don't use this for other operating systems, the instructions are different. I can dig them out somewhere if needed.

Try this after checking all your firewall settings, etc etc etc.

Warning: I take no responsibility if this hose's your PC, causes bedwetting or any other side effects - use at your own risk

This fix covers a reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol and WinSock socket layers to resolve "no traffic" problems on a computer as a result of a damaged socket layer, or protocols. This is often as a result of a damaged firewall application, botched SpyWare removal or other layered application difficulties.

Step 1: Delete registry keys

Open the Registry Editor from the run line. Start --> Run --> regedit --> ok
Navigate to both of the following keys and then delete the key (folder):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock2
Restart the computer

NB: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries for those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP over top of the existing installation:

Open the properties window of the network connection. Start --> Connect To --> Show All Connections --> Right-click the Connectoid --> Click Properties --> Select the Networking Tab
Click Install
Click Protocol
Click Add
Click Have Disk
Type the path to the nettcpip.inf file and click OK. This should either be: c:\windows\inf or c:\winnt\inf (if you click browse, then attempt to browse to the \inf folder, it may not show up in the list as it is a hidden directory)
You should now see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list of available protocols. Select it and click OK.
Restart the computer

If you have any third-party firewall programs, content restriction programs or other similar pieces of software these will probably need to be reinstalled after performing this fix as it'll almost certainly break em.

This should probably be a FAQ (if we have such things anymore).

Cicero
31-12-2004, 08:07 PM
yes.

sometimes if spyware isn't removed correctly it can cause loss of internet which with XP is not always an easy thing to fix.
Charming.

Would have thought the writers of these things would have included that facility ,I mean to say! :groan:

tweak'e
31-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Charming.

Would have thought the writers of these things would have included that facility ,I mean to say! :groan:
writers of CWShredder or the spyware ??

its really an MS problem. they build tcp/ip hard in so you can't get rid of it, fixit, or reinstall it. so when it gets broken it can be a major to fix. fortunatly theres several work arounds which most of the time will work.

Cicero
31-12-2004, 10:00 PM
writers of CWShredder or the spyware ??

its really an MS problem. they build tcp/ip hard in so you can't get rid of it, fixit, or reinstall it. so when it gets broken it can be a major to fix. fortunatly theres several work arounds which most of the time will work.

If you are going to write for M/S OS wouldn't you take that into account?

You must concede that Bill is a genius,the fact that all these twerps dedicate there lives to undermining his system can't be blamed on him,can it?

tweak'e
31-12-2004, 10:40 PM
If you are going to write for M/S OS wouldn't you take that into account?

????? what are you referring to?

cws and other spyware are often desighned so they can't be removed. they are very close to being virus's. you can blame MS for making XP so hard to fix, unlike earlier MS os's in which its easy to reinstall tcp/ip (and/or networking)

Cicero
31-12-2004, 11:11 PM
????? what are you referring to?

cws and other spyware are often designed so they can't be removed. they are very close to being virus's. you can blame MS for making XP so hard to fix, unlike earlier MS OS's in which its easy to reinstall tcp/ip (and/or networking)

What else has been discussed here apart from cws and adaware??

I have to rely on commonsense here as apposed to an understanding of how M/S OS system works,you seem to suggest that Bill and his team think,how can we make it difficult for people to fix what these blighter's get up to.
I am sure you are knowledgeable chap,but would you stand up to the sum of M/S.

tweak'e
01-01-2005, 03:25 PM
afaik all ms os's, untill xp, it was easy to repair the networking should any problems arose. there has always been problems requireing the networking to be fix, spyware related or not. i have no idea why MS has made so difficult to repair tcp/ip in XP but considering MS usuall style of intgrateing things (which always makes it harder to fix anything) its not to suprising they have done that.