PDA

View Full Version : Right-click context menu with double-ups

m_pav
31-12-2004, 01:17 AM
How's this for an annoying Windows XP behaviour that I have no idea of how to fix. If anybody can help me, you have my full attention.

My right click context menu has just started displaying double entries (that's 2 repetitions) for my Antivirus scanner, and for WinZip when I right-click any shortcut (*.Lnk) file from anywhere on my hard drive. This only happens with short-cuts, all other right clicks produce a normal menu.

I am using NOD32 for virus protection and Winzip 8.1. When I disable the context menu from within winzip, both sets of the winzip menu items are removed from my right click context menu, displaying that Winzip is not the problem and as NOD32 does not have this feature built in, I am assuming that is not the problem either. Neither programs are the cause of the problem, and turning off the context menu's from within the programs is not a fix, it's a workaround, and I want to fix the root of the problem, not put on a sticking plaster.

I have perused some help sites which refer to setting the properties for certain file types, from the My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab, scroll to the file type and change a value in the properties, but there is no entry for *.lnk files (that's Lnk, not ink), so I can not follow that method, and I have tried searching the registry for entries to hack out of there to no avail.

Does anybody have any bright ideas? I have not found a suitable fix on the net, but I did see the same behaviour on a different post for a windows 98 machine, with a useless reply.

Help please....

Rob99
31-12-2004, 02:06 AM
You could try TweakUI, not sure it will cure your problem tho.:badpc:
But it does have a setting for right click templates.

Kame
31-12-2004, 02:30 AM
I would just search the registry for something from your context menu, when a result is found, make sure that the other listings around it also are shown in the context menu, you could then just remove those registry entries. (backup the registry!)

Kame

johnboy
31-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Here is a good page on customizing the right click menu.

http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
hth

m_pav
31-12-2004, 03:18 PM
You could try TweakUI, not sure it will cure your problem tho.:badpc:
But it does have a setting for right click templates.

Thanks Rob, but the only reference I can find in there is for templates from the <right click> "New" menu. Am I missing something?

Rob99
31-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks Rob, but the only reference I can find in there is for templates from the <right click> "New" menu. Am I missing something?
Dont think so. Have you read through Johnboys link.

m_pav
01-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I have read it and tried a few tricks. I am fairly adept at editing and restoring the registry, so I'd already tried a few of these tricks and others I found in other posts.

The trouble is, the only hint is for adding to the right click menu, but I want to take away from it. The steps to add are easily interpreted into how to do the opposite, but I have found no key or string to match the criteria.

For example, in the right click menu (for links), I have 2 entries for "NOD32 Antivirus System" and of course, the Winzip entries too. After disabling the Winzip shell menu extension, the only one left as a double up is NOD32, but the only entry in the registry with exactly the same text output is for the location of the uninstaller. I have searched for just NOD32, but none of the results appeared to have anything to do with a doubled up context menu, though I did find one entry which I tried deleting with no effect.

As I said in my first post, I do not believe the problem is related to non-microsoft programs. The problem started after I ran a windows update. I don't let it run automatically, I prefer to do it once a month and if all goes well, I search for and install useful updates to my other installed programs, then I take a snapshot using DriveImage or Ghost.

johnboy
01-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Here a couple more things that may be helpful.
ShellExView v1.10
http://www.nirsoft.net
MenuEdit
http://www.lightpatch.com/downloads/

Engedi
06-02-2005, 01:58 AM
I have read your message because i have the same problem.
I found out that the first mention is de program itself and the second mention is the icon. The last mention is to much and not needed.
I do not have a clue? but I want you to know that this problem also occour
with my other pc with Windows ME, I found also an HP pc+XP with this problem, so I know that this problem is not rare.
I will follow you with your reply's and hopefully can we correct this matter.

m_pav
07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I didn't get a useful answer on this thread so I reposted it.

see this http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53168 thread for the answer.

Engedi
23-02-2005, 07:41 AM
YES I have the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probaply you too have no arrows on your desktop icons, you did use TWEAK UI? Wel you must replace the arrows but you can have light arrows because then it is a real desktop icon, I'm dutch so forgive me mine text.