PDA

View Full Version : COOKIES?

olldaddy78
30-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Are all cookies classed as spyware very bad...as I have found there are two sort of cookies....one giving your computer very bad.... capable of embedding unwanted messages or even small programs on your computer while others are just nosey and wanting to collect infomation about your surfing habits... SHOULD WE OR SHOULD WE NOT REMOVE ALL COOKIES>>>><<<<<

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 10:00 PM
You can delete them. They'll be back. Most sites wont let u enter sometimes, if u disable cookies.

godfather
30-12-2004, 10:01 PM
There is a lot of paranoia about cookies.
I ignore them, and treat them as a necessary part of the internet.

Read the explanation here and sleep easier?
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/Cookies.asp

tweak'e
30-12-2004, 10:02 PM
capable of embedding unwanted messages or even small programs on your computer

nope, not that i know of.

computer while others are just nosey and wanting to collect infomation about your surfing habits.

yep thats about as bad as they get.

cookies are generall good things and you will miss out on some web functions if you disable them.

~sy~
30-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I eat mine by clearing it out every once in a while....

zqwerty
30-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Are all cookies classed as spyware very bad...as I have found there are two sort of cookies....one giving your computer very bad.... capable of embedding unwanted messages or even small programs on your computer while others are just nosey and wanting to collect infomation about your surfing habits... SHOULD WE OR SHOULD WE NOT REMOVE ALL COOKIES>>>><<<<<

Do you use FireFox?

ICW
30-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Cookies in and of themselves are NOT very very bad, CANNOT embed or hide programs on your computer, and dont actually do anything.
All a cookie is is a text file - you can open it in notepad if you want to see whats in it, but dont expect anything meaningful. The standard contents of a cookie, is a field name, and a value for that field, along with an expiry date.

Basically, all a cookie does, is let a web server identify your specific machine. Hence the contents are meaningless, because generally all that is in them is a unique identifier with no intrinsic meaning.
What a server does once it has identified your machine is up to the server. It can remember your password - the cookie could only be on your computer if a valid login had previously been entered; it can track your browsing behaviour - sites like doubleclick.net access their cookie when you download the add, letting them know what site you are currently looking at; older or poorly written online shopping systems also force you to use cookies.

The two types of cookies you refer to, are persistent cookies and session cookies. The only difference being that a session cookie ceases to exist when you leave the website or close the browser, persistant cookies survive until they expire. In general, allow session cookies, as they are the type required for a server to recognise historical information. Persistant cookies are the type that more often than not, have little benefit other than remembering passwords.

zqwerty
30-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I use this extension to keep cookies under control:

http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/

You can protect the cookies you want to keep and just delete all the rest after each, or in the middle of each browser session.

olldaddy78
31-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Special thanks to godfather and all others who were active in this thread...THe site is really interesting........

i-gordon
01-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm a bit late responding to this thread but I think that the harmless tag should not be applied to the "Red Sherrif Java Cookie" . If you want to be better informed about it, do a bit of Googling, there are thousands of pages on the subject. Mainly it appears to be very difficult to stop it phoniing home once it has installed itself along with a lot of other undesirable traits like slowing down your comp. Also it is very common. Most computers with Java enabled will have a lot of them.

Cicero
01-01-2005, 09:54 PM
If you have a look in Explore,you can have a look at your cookies.