PDA

View Full Version : How to erase new hard drive

Colin Green
30-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi,
I have just built a new box and loaded my old copy of ME. Had problems with driver loading (with many ME files reported missing) so I chose to reinstall over the top. System crashed during reinstall.. no longer have access to safe mode. Need to erase HDD and start again but don't know how to erase HDD. Can anyone help???

E|im
30-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Old Win98/ME bootdisk + fdisk.

Terry Porritt
30-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Err..... fdisk.exe is for PARTITIONING, then the drive has to be FORMATTED using format.com.

If you dont need to make new partitions, then all that you have to do is to use the boot disk as mentioned and just format the existing partitions to remove data.

EG from the A:/ prompt after booting from the boot disk, type format c: and/or format d: if you have c: and d: partitions.

beama
30-12-2004, 10:50 PM
a new install off the cd rom would acheive what you what, fdisk or format as metioned by the previous posters, will wipe the disk clean how ever personally I would use fdisk as a new install would take care of the format part

Colin Green
30-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Thanks everyone. All data is now being erased.

Brona
18-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi,

The best way to erase HDD is to use KillDisk software. It is capable of erasing the whole drive so that data can not be restored. Also after using it you should re-partition and re-format it, so that you start from scratch with pure drive. Head to www.killdisk.com for more info and download.

Greg
18-07-2005, 12:57 AM
What trash.

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Ive used Killdisk, its not half bad, does the job very well and stays true to its word from what data recovery & recovery prevention Ive done in the past couple of years.

Personally I prefer using a Bootable LiveCD and filling the entire HDD with random data 7 times over, but each to their own ;)

SurferJoe46
18-07-2005, 04:50 AM
When I install a new or old hard drive and want to clean it for the format, I use the Shredder in Spybot to clear anything off the Hdd.

Not too many people know about Spybot's shredder, but if one were to click on the "Version">>advanced in it's toolbar and get all the utilities, then the shredder is available to them.

I then use it on the drive I want to erase...it's pretty good. I usually make about 5 passes.

....just a thought :2cents:

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Thats only good if you have an OS on the HDD that boots fine. Ive used it once or twice, but usually cant be bothered going to all that hassle :-/

Admittedly most of the stuff I do isnt classified

Brona
07-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I suppose using KillDisk free software to wipe your drive. It erases the whole HDD, so it is impossible to recover any info afterwards. After using it you should re-partition and re-format it so to use from scratch. KillDisk also supports some highly secure erase algorithms such as Guttman's. Head to http://www.killdisk.com for more info and download.