PDA

View Full Version : DVD Area Code

plimtk
30-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi
Have purchased a DVD with an area code of 0 which I am unable to play on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop PC (running XP Home). Error message produced is that region code of PC DVD player (which is 'unspecified') does not match that of the disk - it offers options to change the player code to 1,2,3,4 or 5 but not 0, and will only allow 5 changes in total. Would be grateful if someone could explain what I need to do to play this DVD!
Thanks

sambaird
30-12-2004, 09:11 PM
you need a programe that will alow you to play dvds from any regon such as
anydvd

tweak'e
30-12-2004, 09:19 PM
are you sure its 0 ?? region 0 is region all or uncoded. you might want to check dell for any firmware upgrades for the dvd player.

ICW
30-12-2004, 09:59 PM
I could be wrong, and frequently am, but I believe Region 0 is the equivalent of no region currently set. In order to play the DVD, all you have to do is set the drive to a region that is supported by the DVD in question. In NZ, the legal region is 4, but there are also a lot of Region 1 (USA) DVD's floating around. Without getting into the details of BIOS flashing, just let the software player set the region to 4, and only get Region 4 DVD's.

plimtk
30-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi
Thanks for the advice. Setting the player region code to 4 seems to have done the trick
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Just make sure you dont change the regions too many times, (if u do) or it'll lock it at the last region after 5 times. Unless u flash the dvd.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Goto www.videolan.org and get the VideoLAN Client. AFAIK they've ported the linux libdvdcss & libdvdread so you can play DVD's of any region!

Chill.

drb1
31-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Goto www.videolan.org and get the VideoLAN Client. AFAIK they've ported the linux libdvdcss & libdvdread so you can play DVD's of any region!

Chill.

Chill,

IIRC, is there not a free-be for win that makes all this nonsence go away, "dvd reigon free" or some such?

D.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2004, 08:48 AM
DVD Region-Free from dvdidle.com will make any application Region-Free

Sucks coz it'll cost ya... Hence why I suggest VideoLAN Client which is Open-Source Software!

Mike
31-12-2004, 09:37 AM
DVD Region Killer was free (although no long available through original channels). You can get it from here (http://www.mike.000k2.com/files/SetupRegKill.exe). This is a direct link to the install file from my website. I think it works better than DVD Region Free, and is freeware.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2004, 01:52 PM
It _doesnt_ however help if Firmware is region-locked IIRC, correct?

DVD Region-Free doesnt care, and AFAIK same goes for VLC.

Mike
31-12-2004, 01:57 PM
It _doesnt_ however help if Firmware is region-locked IIRC, correct?

DVD Region-Free doesnt care, and AFAIK same goes for VLC.
You may be right, however if the firmware isn't yet region-locked, then Region Killer can be used indefinitely to tell Windows what region the drive is set to. The only time a region change will be used (and/or locked) is if you change the drive region setting rather than the region-killer setting.

Both my DVD drives are region-free however, so I have not been able to test this ;)

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Mine are still factory default, so I dont know what they're set to.... Do DVD Drives come with a region pre-set?

agent
31-12-2004, 02:22 PM
I think it's been said they come on Region 0, and the firmware will allow up to five changes before locking it.

Myself, I flashed the firmware on all my DVD drives so that they're region free. It's rather straightforward and doesn't require bumming around with programs like DVD Region Free.

tweak'e
31-12-2004, 02:31 PM
in most cases even with region free dvd drives you still need a prog to reset the regions in the software.

dvd region settings are both hardware and software, you need to defeat both (or fool both ;-) ) to be able to play any disk. fortunatly the software region settings are easy to defeat, the drives firmware is the hard part.

Speedy Gonzales
31-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Or even better get a program called dvd x player. It plays region 0-6.

Needs nothing else like region free or flashing of the dvd to make it region free. Its a standalone dvd program, and the only 1 i think that can do this. :D

drb1
31-12-2004, 03:40 PM
DVD Region Killer was free (although no long available through original channels). You can get it from here (http://www.mike.000k2.com/files/SetupRegKill.exe). This is a direct link to the install file from my website. I think it works better than DVD Region Free, and is freeware.

Mike.

Thank you, I allways collect these toys. freeware is getting better.

D.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I was of the same opinion Tweake. I know that PowerDVD is picky about software region settings.....

Ignorance is bliss - They may as well not bother with region encoding coz I play the lot without a care, its brilliant!
Ogle.... Mplayer.. Xine... VideoLAN... And all the respective front-ends like Kaffeine etc work perfectly every time!
Even ripping with dvdbackup then running it through DVD Shrink under WINE works 100%!

drb1
31-12-2004, 04:09 PM
I was of the same opinion Tweake. I know that PowerDVD is picky about software region settings.....

Ignorance is bliss - They may as well not bother with region encoding coz I play the lot without a care, its brilliant!
Ogle.... Mplayer.. Xine... VideoLAN... And all the respective front-ends like Kaffeine etc work perfectly every time!
Even ripping with dvdbackup then running it through DVD Shrink under WINE works 100%!

Chill,

Weve been here before , but.

Who the **********hell do the dvd producers and DVD player producers think they are.

Any dvd and player from any part of the planet should work togheter without issues.

Just like MICROSCAM the music and dvd industry is creating its own nightmares buy these ridiciouls restrictive practices.

They deserve all the cost and losses they suffer as they refuse to move with the times.

Vhs was supposed to be the death of holloywood.

Now many BILLIONS have they made since??????????

How many of you are aware that mpriaa (Check Acronym) are attempting to have a law passed that makes it illegal to edit or even zip adverts in dvd movies YOU BUY.

FACT.

It IS in congress.

D.

Edit

ZIP

As in fast forward.

D.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Too bad... If it can be played/viewed then it can be edited - End of story!

I dont see why they bother..... There's probably a good reason but I fail to see it

cadifan
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

I use WinDVD with WinDVD Tweaker Pro which automatically resets region on disc insert so can play anything!