PDA

View Full Version : function keys stop working after a while

jackrulz
30-12-2004, 07:18 PM
hi yea
i brought a compaq presario in late april this year after turning it on and getin it going the function keys on the keyboard (like internet, search, help) were all goin fine then about two days later they stopped working..

And then after my crappy cumpaq computer messed up again i had to reinstalll windows and wow the function keys work again and then 2 or 3 days later they stop working again, its done this three times now .
it happpened the last time after i pulled out my usb pen drive thing, but i did not have it when it happened in the 2 previous times.

I tried to turn on Human interface devices thing in services but it will not start up again it says "error 126: the specified module could not be found ." it just does this a few after indows is insatlled can anyone help me?

my comp is runnin

windows xp sp2
amd athlon xp 2400+
256 mb ram
40g hdd
geforce4 mx 440 64m

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Whats device manager / mice and other pointing devices say?? And under Human interface devices?? If these say the mouse is working OK, the mouse isnt the prob.

Human interface devices, I would say has nothing to do with the mouse.
and how it operates. Even tho some mice do appear under this in device manager.

Have u tried cleaning the keyboard?? And does it need software for the function keys to work properly??

jackrulz
30-12-2004, 07:33 PM
it sez about the ps2 compatible mouse, "this device is working properly" in mice and other pointing devices and in HID is just some game controller things which are working fine

yea the keyboard gets cleaned all the time i sont think its that, the buttons worked when configured in keyboard settings in control panel but it just stops working after a few days after install and dont work ever again. yea thanx

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I would try another keyboard. See what happens then.

jackrulz
30-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Umm yea i figured it out, windows xp replaced the crappy cumpaq oem drivers with crappyer microsoft drivers so i found some drivers off hp.com and insatlled them but still has some problems like some of the buttons canmot be configured
thanx speedy

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 10:15 PM
No worries jack.

jackrulz
30-12-2004, 10:36 PM
oH yEA umm i also figured out that i had stopped a process named kbd.exe from startin at windows startup, what it is, is a logitech thing to control human interface devices so yea, my mistake

Speedy Gonzales
30-12-2004, 10:43 PM
That file is for the keyboard. Altho if u notice the following, this maybe why u stopped it

SYMPTOMS

Your Hewlett-Packard (HP) Pavilion computer may run very slowly and may stop responding after you install the HP software update for the Universal Serial Bus (USB) multimedia keyboard on a Windows XP-based computer. You may also notice that your computer's CPU is running at 100%, with the Kbd.exe file taking up over 90% of the resources.

CAUSE

This issue may occur after you install the HP Windows XP update for USB multimedia keyboards.

RESOLUTION

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Remove the Kbd.exe file, and then delete the associated registry key by following these steps in the order that they are provided:

1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. Follow the directions that appear on your screen to search for the following Kbd.exe file:
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
3. Right-click the Kbd.exe file, and then click Delete.
4. Close the Search window.
5. Click Start, and then click Run.
6. To start Registry Editor, type regedit.
7. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
8. In the right screen, locate the file that has the following data value: C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe.
9. Right-click the name, and then click Delete.
10. Restart the computer.

For additional help with this issue, contact the programs manufacturer. To do so, visit the following Hewlett-Packard Web site:

www.hp.com

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

beama
30-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Jack kbd.exe is your custom multimedia keyboard driver.
Multimedia keyboards (such as yours) dont work correctly without it.
Yes there was a problem with hp multimedia keyboards but this was fixed by a patch ( but he said Compaq pc I hear you say, Compaq is owned by HP now)

pop back to the HP/Compaq and seach thier knowledge base for an answer