PDA

View Full Version : Re building a computer

JJJJJ
30-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Since a have a good case with all the bits and pieces except a motherboard and CPU I have decided to have another go at making it work.
So far it has cost me 3 m/boards and two PCU's.
I have decided I am getting a P4 3.4 Presscot cpu. The price is right and the speed will suffice.
What motherboard is reccomended . My case is standard ATX mid tower.

My only requirements for the m/b are: 800 fsb. 400 parallel ram. preferably an Intel chipset and must have fittings for front USB . Lans , fire wire,card readers are not needed or wanted.

Quality is more important than price.

Jack I know I'm :mad:

memphis
30-12-2004, 11:49 AM
What are you going to use it mainly for,
Gaming?

How many case fans do you have for cold air in,hot air out,
because it gets hot in the case with those prescotts?

Are you going to use a different HSF (heat sink fan,goes on top of processor) then the original packaged one?

It is recommended to do so by others,fourms.

What power supply are you using,brand name,wattage?

JJJJJ
30-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Not gaming, though I occasionaly have a play with MS Flight Simulator.

No fan for sucking cold air in. Just the psu fan and cpu fan. Though their is provision for fitting another fan.

I was just planning on using the supplied cpu heat sink.

Power supply is a three month old 350 watt. Brand hm? Generic.

I was running a p4 3.0 in this case and it never got over 30. But as you say Presscots run hotter.
Jack

george12
30-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Advice, take it in to a shop for the actual job. It will only cost you ~$40, and save you hundreds of dollars of broken equipment ;)

memphis
30-12-2004, 12:50 PM
For a motherboard,I would go the socket LGA 775 chipset,the 925x. :D (more features then the 915p)915p = basic one.

Not much price difference between the two,I would go for the better one personaly just so I would be satisfied I got a good one even if I did not use all the features straight away.Can always disable/enable whatever feature I am not using at the time. :D

For stablity I would go the Intel ones,they make their own so should be good after all?

Sorry I do not know much about Intel,I have AMD.But I am not biased towards either company,get what you like its your money.And will help as much as I can. :)

Have a look on www.pricespy.co.nz

memphis
30-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Put a fan at the front to bring cool air into the computer.
And a fan at the back to take hot air out.

Personally I dont trust generic psu,to many people post on forums with problems with them.

If you dont want to do it yourself/or feel its a bit risky/have not built one before/dont have time etc etc I agree with george12 go to a shop. :thumbs:

Otherwise it is a fun :) /not fun :mad: experience to do.

Not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be when I built mine. :D
Just allow plenty of time for your first home built computer,and read manuals first before starting!!!
Do a google search on building a computer yourself too.