PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Mod. Is it worthwhile?

Jeff
29-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Thinking of getting an X-Box. Heard you can get it moded.
What will it allow me to do?

Will I be able to play DVDs from outside our Region?
Will I be able to play games downloaded off the net (ie. Mame)?

Thanks Jeff.

george12
29-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Playing games illegally downloaded off the net is not really a good thing to talk about on this forum.

Having said that, yes.

But for the purpose of rules, let's assume *cough*pretend*cough* that it's for installing linux ;).

Basicly a modchip enables you to run software on your Xbox not endorsed my Microsoft. Such as linux, burnt games, custom software etc.

There are many legal and illegal uses for a Modchip in an Xbox. It certainly gives you more freedom.

Cheers George

Lohsing
29-12-2004, 11:56 PM
If you want a console, there's not much that can go wrong with a modded X-Box.

Lo.

zqwerty
30-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Re "more freedom" you could also put a larger hard drive in ie 200gig, then when you put the DVD in and transfer it to the hard drive you would never have the inconvience of having to put the DVD in to play the game again, for example. You could keep the disc safely in case you ever might need it again.

ninja
30-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Either way, wait till the warranty has expired before getting it done.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Why assume its for Linux? You can install Linux without chipping your XBox and save yourself the cost of a mod?

XBMC rocks!

Yes, its definately worthwhile. I got an executor 2.2pro (IIRC... Its been a while) and never looked back. Best $120 I spent (Well, in combination with another hundred for an 80gb HDD).

I would say you dont know what you're missing until you've modded your XBox! Go for it!

Ninja's right, it'll void the warranty, but realistically how often do the suckers pack up and die?
I killed my DVD Drive because I was pot-tweaking it too much, but thats my fault.
I'd say use it for a month, to 'break in' the parts and if its still all good then grab yourself a Mod-Chip and go for it!

Chill.

PcNut
30-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Playing games illegally downloaded off the net is not really a good thing to talk about on this forum.

Where in his his post does he say he is going to illegally download games?
Mame can be used to play all sorts of perfectly legal games

As for modding your xbox the advice given by others is sound
Run it for a month or so, make sure everything is running as it should then mod it.
You won't regret it

ph33rlus_nz
05-11-2005, 01:10 AM
he referred to 'mame' wich in itself is a perfectly legal emulator.

however, downloading ROMS off the internet is the same as downloading
an XBOX game, so using mame is legal, using it on a ROM that you didnt buy is not ;)

Nyuuji
05-11-2005, 08:19 AM
We have had our modded xbox for a year now, and its been great.

We got a 200Gb hard drive, so it can fit all our "stuff" on it and with it networked to the pc, I can transfer the foreign language tv programs and watch on the tv. Coooool. Sofa is much more comfy than pc chair.

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Okay, okay, but lets no "assume" its for Linux when he says that, alright, coz thats giving us legit users a bad name.

Anyways, this is one _very_ old thread, why drag it up?!

Battleneter
10-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Modding is good for several reason.

1. Legal or not you can dump then run games from a menu without inserting the game DVD at all which I find really annoying. Inserting a CD or DVD just to play a game now seems primitive to me.

2. Modded Xboxes make great set top boxes, with the ability to have much larger hard drives chocked full of movies legal or not.

People that don't pirate will also get a lot from a modded Xbox, and people that do pirate.... well its a must really.