PDA

View Full Version : How to connect to my home computer using Remote Desktop Connection?

xmojo1
29-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Out of curiosity I want to try to connect to my home computer remotely from work using Windows XP's built-in Remote Desktop Connection. My home computer is connected to the internet through an external router/modem. Remote Desktop Connection is enabled on the home computer which has Windows XP with SP1. I have a fixed IP address courtesy of Orcon. What setting(s) need to be configured on the router to allow remote access to my home computer, and should I be trying to connect to the home computer using the fixed IP address or using its IP address on the home network?

Ash M
29-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Firstly, you need to be using XP Pro.

You will then need to forward port 3389 (TCP, but UPD as well if you want to stream sound) to the computer you want to control.

Ash

Out of curiosity I want to try to connect to my home computer remotely from work using Windows XP's built-in Remote Desktop Connection. My home computer is connected to the internet through an external router/modem. Remote Desktop Connection is enabled on the home computer which has Windows XP with SP1. I have a fixed IP address courtesy of Orcon. What setting(s) need to be configured on the router to allow remote access to my home computer, and should I be trying to connect to the home computer using the fixed IP address or using its IP address on the home network?

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Try getting a no-ip.com address so you dont have to remember a new IP every time it changes