PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Rival Phones for Other Networks

csinclair83
29-12-2004, 04:15 PM
I know this is a probably a silly question which ends up witha NO...but a friend was asking me today and since I didnt know i thought I'll ask you experts here...

Can a phone be purchased off a rival network for use on another network....like a vodafone mobile to use on Telecom, or something like that?

Mike
29-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Only if they use the same technology. Vodafone phones use simcards, Telecom phones do not. That means you can't use a vodafone phone on Telecom or a Telecom phone on Vodafone.

You can however buy a simcard phone from another network (at this stage probably from overseas) and use it (if it is not locked to that network) with vodafone here. I think though that you need Telecom to activate a phone to use it on their network.

Mike.

Prescott
29-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Only if they use the same technology. Vodafone phones use simcards, Telecom phones do not. That means you can't use a vodafone phone on Telecom or a Telecom phone on Vodafone.

You can however buy a simcard phone from another network (at this stage probably from overseas) and use it (if it is not locked to that network) with vodafone here. I think though that you need Telecom to activate a phone to use it on their network.

Mike.

just google your phone model and put unlock next to it and then find the code that will unlock your phone.

Fergie
29-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Telecom works on the CDMS network ( i think thts right!) and Vodafone via a GPRS network.
I think there was a dual band phone released in Asia - but i don't see the pt - every time u made a call/txt u'd have to chose hu to send it thro (and so your number would be different) etc

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 07:21 PM
CDMA actually = Code Division Multiple Access = Telecom's 027 network :-)

godfather
29-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Telecom works on the CDMS network ( i think thts right!) and Vodafone via a GPRS network.
I think there was a dual band phone released in Asia - but i don't see the pt - every time u made a call/txt u'd have to chose hu to send it thro (and so your number would be different) etc
Nearly..

Telecom use CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access), and Vodafone use GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) systems.

"Dual band" (and Tri Band) phones are common already, but you need Dual Mode multi band phones to accommodate the mixed systems. You would need an account with both providers.

Number portability is supposed to arrive in 2007, when (hopefully) you can move your 021 or 027 number with you to another system.