PDA

View Full Version : Which ISP for ADSL?

Michael Yoon
29-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi,
My friend wants to get Broadband so that he can surf the net without holding up the phone line. He asked me to help him look for a ISP.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good, cheap and reliable ISP. My friend has just recently gotten a computer so he does not know how to do many things. I guess he would be using the net at least 5 hours a day. He plans to play online games (java and flash games and multiplayer games) and surf webpages. I think in this early stage he does not know how to download. Would a 3GB plan be enough for his usage? Or should it be a 10GB plan just incase he starts downloading?

I looked at Orcon and found the Orcon Residential 256K Bitstream (http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/) Which looks pretty good. What do you guys think?

Thanks alot

Michael Y

Greg
29-12-2004, 02:21 PM
I looked at Orcon and found the Orcon Residential 256K Bitstream (http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/) Which looks pretty good. What do you guys think?

That's a good plan.

Prescott
29-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi,
My friend wants to get Broadband so that he can surf the net without holding up the phone line. He asked me to help him look for a ISP.

i got a seperate line for our internet

Ash M
29-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Quicksilver! :thumbs:

xmojo1
29-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm told (according to my brother) that Xtra's 1Mbps plan costs $44/month. I'm with Orcon's 256Kbps bitstream plan which costs $50/month. 256Mbps is adequate speed for playing MMORPGs online (I've been playing Asheron's Call for 5 years, and a connection of 256Kbps gives me ingame pings averaging between 200-400ms every night).

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I've just joined Ihug's Bliink Plan and I'm more than satisfied
I'm on 256 UNCAPPED for $49.95 per month.That is with my phone also through Ihug. It'll cost an extra $10.00 if you keep your phone with Telecom.
Jack

Perry
29-12-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm told (according to my brother) that Xtra's 1Mbps plan costs $44/month. I'm with Orcon's 256Kbps bitstream plan which costs $50/month. 256Mbps is adequate speed for playing MMORPGs online (I've been playing Asheron's Call for 5 years, and a connection of 256Kbps gives me ingame pings averaging between 200-400ms every night).

I joined xtra's 1G capped plan before Xmas. $40 was (I recall) the figure. What
was the sweetener was free modem and no joining fee. (I actually paid extra
for the router/modem as there's 3 PCs on a LAN at home). Of course, there's
the "extra" phone line that comes with it to consider, as well as only one bill to
pay. What was a bugger was that "something" (WINMX?) clocked up over 3G in
3 days and I got capped on the eighth day! Damn!! And I was only 'trying'
WinMX! And considering the cap starts at 1G, to get to 3G before the choke
was put on either showed some Xmas spirit or over-worked something. Or
someone.

Perry

Prescott
29-12-2004, 06:55 PM
jeez i do about 1GB on dial up a month

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Im on Bliink for a month and so far it sucks big time!

I reach 32KB/s during downloads, which is the max, and acceptable, but going back to that after a whole month at 240KB/s on the 2mbps plans.... aside from that I do a lot of uploading to myself whilst at work, and to friends etc, so the 128kbps upload sucks!

Mostly because of my requirements.... Web surfing was a little slow.... But otherwise for most people I'd say it'd be a pretty good plan :-)

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I've just joined Ihug's Bliink Plan and I'm more than satisfied
I'm on 256 UNCAPPED for $49.95 per month.That is with my phone also through Ihug. It'll cost an extra $10.00 if you keep your phone with Telecom.
Jack

I don't know if I used the correct term, but by UNCAPPED i mean that the price is fixed and I can download all I want to without any extra charges.
Jack

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 08:50 PM
In reply to Chill.
I think you have been on broadband too long. You've been spoiled .I think browsing with 256 is ridicuously fast. But then this is my first broadband experience.
I can download at about 30 kbs,or whatever, which is about seven times faster than I was getting with dial up.
And the price is affordable. I looked at the 2mb plan from extra, then I looked at the price :horrified .
I think the Blink plan is as near perfect as you can get at the moment for the non professional user.
Jack

Prescott
29-12-2004, 09:19 PM
decent broad band is insanly expensive IMO, and the factor that we cant get broadband out here is annoying too, SURFING on the net is not too bad on dial up, but downloading on dial up is annoying, i stil have heaps of nights of downloading to do to get that hl2 demo.........
be thankful of what you have :)

Perry
29-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I don't know if I used the correct term, but by UNCAPPED i mean that the price is fixed and I can download all I want to without any extra charges.
Jack

Sounds like the Xtra plan.

What you mean by "uncapped" and what others mean by it may be at odds.
I suspect it all depends on the ISP concerned and the wording they use. The
xtra basic plan offers broadband for up to 1G data volume (both ways) for 1
month or part thereof (256 download/128 upload), and, after 1G is exceeded,
dial-up speed, free of any further charge or surcharge, with no data limit
restrictions, until the next billing period starts and broadband is reinstated.
I've also been told that the 1G limit isn't too rigourously enforced, if,
perhaps, that figure is reached a day or two before the monthly billing cycle
ends. As mentioned before, I got to over 3G (4.65!) before the choke was
applied.

E.g. I'm at 5G usage, today. 0.35G in the last ten days, (which includes
a couple of computerless days [25th & 26th]) but 4.65G between 9-17 Dec!
Even once the speed choke was applied, the speeds are better than what
dial-up used to be.

If I can be at 0.35G per 10 days on average, I'll just squeeze through to the
month's end on broadband and scrape in at the 1G thresh hold. Of course, an
extra $5-10 will lift that cap to 2 or 3 G/month. Roll on next month - high
speed access tends to be addictive!

And don't they know that!?!?

Perry

memphis
29-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi Prescott,
I am also on 56k and for big downloads or things I dont have time to download I go to a shop and buy a computer magazine that meets my needs,after checking whats on the cd/dvd contents page in the magazines,oh and checking out all the other computer magazines.

No brand loyalty here, just who has the best, most things on the cd/dvd at the time. :D

I think the demo of HL2 will be on one of the mags. :)

I have seen the demo of Doom3 on one of the Aussie mags.,(PC Powerplay),the dvd edition is the one to get more demos etc,they have a cd edition as well but less stuff on the cd of course.