PDA

View Full Version : JSG Solution

george12
29-12-2004, 12:25 AM
I used to download a lot from Jetstream Games on the realm, always very early morning (1am - 6am) so as not to create downtime for jgi.co.nz or miss e-mails.

But it wasn't a pratical solution as we host a few international websites now and have at least 5 or so people online 24/7.

This has led to my Jetstream usage skyrocketing. So far in this month's billing period (5 days) I have used over 5GB. There is no chance I'll make the 10GB. At this rate I will be using ~55GB, so even if I get given 30GB before I am capped, I won't make it.

Being capped to 64Kbps is not an option. It can't happen. So what can I do, to get free traffic like on JSG, but not create downtime which is not an option?

Soon I will get cable, and is it free national traffic? Or 10%? I know it's waay cheaper. 90% of my traffic is national.

If only we could have multiple virtual circuits in NZ

agent
29-12-2004, 01:07 AM
If it's a once-off affair Telecom shouldn't limit your speed. They still can't do it automagically (I think).

Here's to hoping a lot of their technicians are on holiday...

Codex
29-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Here's to hoping a lot of their technicians are on holiday...
lol your dreaming they will always have a way.....evil telecom :groan:

agent
29-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Not if al Qaeda blows up ol' Gattung!

Bwahahahahahah!

*Cough* Erm, yes, never mind my dreams...

george12
29-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Not a risk to take I'm afraid.

64k means downtime until the end of the month, and no e-mail - because all the connections simply can't get through in 64kbps. They all just time out.

Kind of like the slashdot effect really.

I think I should get a wireless link with a friend, and peer with them for use of their internet connection when on the JSG realm. With linespeed, there will be plenty of bandwidth to share :D. Or someone on cable, where national traffic is cheap as dirt.

I still haven't sorted that out - is national traffic free or 10% for cable?

Cheers George

ninja
29-12-2004, 08:34 AM
But it wasn't a pratical solution as we host a few international websites now and have at least 5 or so people online 24/7.
If you are "hosting International Websites" you shouldn't be doing it on a JetStream connection for a start. There is no guaranteed level of service, and as you've now found you're going to run out of bandwidth because the connection can't support both your own downloading habits and the needs of your "hosting". If I was in your position I would be ceasing my downloading in favour of leaving bandwidth available for the sites I hosted - after all they are paying me.

If you are going to try and get into the hosting business you need to get a co-located/telehoused box on a decent network. Cable/JetStream shouldn't even be a consideration.

Being capped to 64Kbps is not an option. It can't happen. So what can I do, to get free traffic like on JSG, but not create downtime which is not an option?
Nothing you can do about it now, you're on the plan at least till the end of your billing month. All you can do is conserve bandwidth as mentioned above.

Soon I will get cable, and is it free national traffic? Or 10%? I know it's waay cheaper. 90% of my traffic is national.
Most cable plans are based on a rate of national traffic being used at 10% of your international quota - however I believe TC are trying to phase those plans out. If you're hosting "international websites" surely most of your traffic would be international?

Jester
29-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Come on George!

You want to know how to stop being capped, when the first thing you say is that you download a lot from the realm. Stop downloading from the realm!

You go on to say you expect to use another 50 gigs this month at this rate.

STOP connecting to the realm ftp ... now. You don't need all those patches, distros, movies etc - OR they can wait another month surely.

The speed capping kicks in automatically now, going by comments on other website from leechers.

As for hosting someone else on a service not designed or guaranteed for that ....

george12
29-12-2004, 12:42 PM
I don't provide a service guarantee, however I have measured my uptime over 3 months to be 99.93%, which is good enough for all our customers.

And we only host one international site, the rest are NZ.

Additionally, the Orcon Jetstream (not bitstream) plans are good for hosting a small number of people, and suit our needs at the moment.

I have never been capped to 64k and never will, because I stop downloading before I do anything that affects customers. That is not the issue. The issue was a way to get all the distros and stuff I download without eating into my cap. Previously I connected to the JSG realm (user@jetstreamgames.co.nz), but if I did that now my server would be down. But this is not going to be an issue for very long.

If you are going to try and get into the hosting business you need to get a co-located/telehoused box on a decent network. Cable/JetStream shouldn't even be a consideration.

I'm hardly 'in the hosting business', when I have a connection that can handle like 8 customers max. But if you look at some other threads around here, we are moving to colocate in level 48 of the sky tower.

There we have 10GB international traffic, 100GB national traffic, and 500GB of peering traffic (APE). The connection speed is 100Mbit nationally and 1Mbit burstable internationally (per server, we're having two there). Since we are a NEW ZEALAND webhost, which we stress to avoid too many international customers, the international speed shouldn't be a problem.

In our current state nobody has ever complained of downtime or slow speed, in fact many have found the speed to be much greater than over in the USA where their previous hosting company was.

So when I colocate, I will be able to do whatever I want with my connection.

So at that, I think the problem is over!

Cheers George

george12
29-12-2004, 12:49 PM
You go on to say you expect to use another 50 gigs this month at this rate.

That would be IF I kept downloading like that all month. I'm not that crazed. Do you think I want to capped?!

The speed capping kicks in automatically now, going by comments on other website from leechers.

My friend has the 24th as billing date, and he's done 21GB not capped. To manage that he just queued up a download manager with loads of stuff and left it 24/7 @ 2mbit. Of course it could be different for me, which is WHY I wouldn't risk it.

ninja
29-12-2004, 01:24 PM
And we only host one international site, the rest are NZ.Well forgive me I must have read your post incorrectly:

I'm hardly 'in the hosting business', when I have a connection that can handle like 8 customers max. You host web-sites, therefore you are in the hosting business. You might sell one cannabis cigarette or a thousand, either way you're still a drug dealer.

But if you look at some other threads around here, we are moving to colocate in level 48 of the sky tower.So if you're not in the hosting business why do you need this? I can't be expected to keep up on every thread you post, particularly when on previous experience they are often pipedreams.

So when I colocate, I will be able to do whatever I want with my connection. So at that, I think the problem is over!Simple then, either wait it out or get another line+account+connection for personal use so your "not a hosting business" business doesn't suffer.

That or e-mail your hosting clients and ask them to accept the downtime so you can download games (or whatever) - I'm sure they'll be understanding.

george12
29-12-2004, 05:36 PM
You don't get me. I'm not in the hosting business YET. Currently it's more of a personal favour thing.

'A few' international sites was a mistake. I am terribly sorry.

Dude, if you think my posts are bloody 'pipedreams', just ignore them!

I WILL be in the hosting business once I colocate. Until then it is just a little extra that I do for people I know. Hardly a business endeavour.

Simple then, either wait it out or get another line+account+connection for personal use so your "not a hosting business" business doesn't suffer.

I have already decided to wait until we are colocating.

That or e-mail your hosting clients and ask them to accept the downtime so you can download games (or whatever) - I'm sure they'll be understanding.

How many times have I said, that is not an option. Or is that comment intended purely as patronizing sarcasm? I compensate downtime, which, in the last three months has totalled just under three minutes.

How many times must mods tell you, directly or otherwise: Ignore my 'pipedreams'.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 06:22 PM
George, I see nothing wrong with his comments so far.

Question:
What is it that you want?
To download from the JSG Server? You've gotta be connected to the Realm or it'll count towards your bandwidth

I fail to see a question here??

Jester
29-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hiya George

I get ya now. When you used to connect to the realm for full-speed uncapped access, you did it during the night hours as you would effectively cut off anyone who you host as you can only access the http or ftp jetstreamgames.co.nz range, and therefore no one can access your PC.

Now you are saying that you can't do this, not because you physically can't but to do so would lead to downtime for the hosted sites, and you are wondering if there was a way to still get uncapped JSG Realm access without deviating from your standard adsl log on?

I would say that the answer is you can, IF you have real deep pockets.

Hope you find a work around :dogeye:

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Use the profits for a 2nd line and a 2nd adsl connection thats always on the Realm :-)

george12
29-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Spot on Jester.

As to ninja's comments, that's your call, but I find comments such as "particularly when on previous experience they are often pipedreams" a bit off myself. But that's just me.

I will ignore such things in future rather than complaining. And that's an interesting idea Chill.

I could, you see, go on a plan with a shockingly low bandwidth cap but high speed. Like the Home Fullspeed 500 perhaps. And be on the realm 24/7. What a waste of $$ that would be. If only I was disgustingly rich...

LOL I don't think I will though. Better ways to spend money don't you think? :p

Thanks for all the helpful input guys.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Just be careful what you wish for George, as Ive had a few PM's about you trying to promote your business a lot. Im taking it lightly, but tread lightly dude.

Basically you're stuck.... Aside from that, you may want to double-check with your ISP they allow you re-selling the likes of that from a "Home" connection.

Chill.

george12
29-12-2004, 11:28 PM
They do, already asked.

And GRRRR I don't promote my business. I have no wish to on this forum whether it was allowed or not. People here aren't my target audience.

Hell, I haven't even recommended my business even to people in Wgtn. I am deliberatly trying to avoid mentioning it except when necessary.

Are you referring to things such as "I have had a few people come in with [some problem]" kind of things? I can stop that I guess, but to me it's not advertising.

However it does seem that most people think the other way as I have been accused multiple times, in fact nearly every time I have a business related problem I get accused of advertising!

How the hell do I convey these things without being accused?

"My friend has this business, and [blah]" ?

Or are you talking about "The Monster", coz that wasn't even for sale.....

George