PDA

View Full Version : CD burning with FC3

johnd
28-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with FC3 and CD burning?

I tried Xcdroast and the in-built Nautilus burner to no avail. Xcdroast seems to come up with two cd devices (DVD player and my DSE burner) but refuses to write to it. I have appended "hdd=ide-scsi" to the grub menu.lst. I have a line (automatically put there at boot time) in my fstab "dev/scd0 /media/cdrecorder ...."

Message seems to be saying it cannot find the device (even though there is a nice burner icon in Xcdroast). This is confirmed by the results of "cdrecord -scanbus" which shows my DVD player only.

Any help would be appreciated. This is the only problem I have come across in FC3 - it is great otherwise so I would like to get this sorted!

Jen
28-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Install K3b off the install discs by using Add/Remove applications. It is dead easy to use and is a Nero clone. I have no trouble with FC3 and CD/DVD burning using this application. :)

Jen
28-12-2004, 09:39 PM
I have appended "hdd=ide-scsi" to the grub menu.lst. I have a line (automatically put there at boot time) in my fstab "dev/scd0 /media/cdrecorder ...."Hmm ... why did you add this line to the grub.conf? The 2.6 kernel doesn't need =ide-scsi. This may be behind the entry in fstab as well.

The CD/DVD devices should be listed similar to this in fstab

/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder1

johnd
28-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Jen K3b - looks to be a great piece of software - but no writing device detected. I put the append in due to something I read elsewhere trying to solve my problem. Everything worked fine in RH9.

I will remove the append and see if that solves the problem. Nothing would burn before or after the change with Xcdroast so we will see how K3b goes!

Jen
28-12-2004, 09:54 PM
You will need to reboot for the changed fstab to be re-read. RH9 used the 2.2 series kernel IIRC, which needed the scsi emulation for the CD drives but from the 2.6 kernel onwards, this is no longer required.

johnd
28-12-2004, 10:08 PM
You are quite right about scsi emulation - someone on Fedora Forum didn't know what they were talking about!

Some progress but not there yet. We know have hdd as /media/cdrecorder and K3b has an icon for my Cyberdrive. But when I come to write there is no device still.

johnd
28-12-2004, 10:12 PM
I have now got a response for the CD-RW with "cdrecord -scanbus".

Have just tried as root just in case - doesn't work either. There is a drop down box for recording devices with K3b - nothing available despite it showing as an icon in the system file tree.

Jen
28-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Just try this:
Go ALT-F2 and enter in k3b, and under Options>> select "run as a different user" and enter in root's password - OK. Then look under Settings > Configure K3b > click on the Devices Icon and see whether it lists the devices as able to write.

This is to see whether it is a user permission issue.

[edit] - just saw your new post - try this anyway and see what info it gives under devices for writing etc.

johnd
28-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Can't see any Options menu.

Anyway seem to have found the problem - cdrdao was not installed and is needed by k3b to write.

So now the writing process starts and all locks up. Message is:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.14
KDE Version: 3.3.0-5 Red Hat
QT Version: 3.3.3

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512

cdrecord comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=32 -tao driveropts=burnfree -eject -multi -xa -tsize=72503s -

mkisofs
-----------------------
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.

mkisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid photos -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.14 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.14 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-johnsd/k3bbSEYPb.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-johnsd/k3bhtVUua.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-johnsd/k3bUD0i4b.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-johnsd/k3bv13rwa.tmp /home/johnsd/.kde/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/

johnd
28-12-2004, 11:13 PM
I remember under RH9 the blank CD would automount and I would have to do a command line umount before attempting to writing. With RC3 an icon appears on the screen saying "Blank CD-R disk" but there is nothing to umount according to the mount command. The icon stays even after the cd is removed.

johnd
28-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Something is causing umounting problems while fiddling with all this - twice tonight on reboots the /home partition did not unmount at shutdown! Not nice.

Anyway thanks for help - off to bed.

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2004, 11:44 PM
chmod -R 777 /dev/hd*

johnd
29-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks Chill - but no change. Software locks up after the image is created and before anything is written to the CD-R

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Run it as root and see how you get on.

Some changes in the 2.6.3 kernel fsck'd cdrecord....

johnd
29-12-2004, 07:27 PM
K3b will not get past sensing CD-R drives when run as root - just locks up at splash screen. Gets well past this stage as normal user.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Have you run k3bsetup ?
There may be the option to do this from kcontrol otherwise....

johnd
29-12-2004, 08:13 PM
OK - I have found a whole bunch of programs that k3b needs to run that do not seem to be installed. What happened to the dependancies at install time?

I decided to make a backup to CD of my photos in the mean time using SuSE9.1 and k3b. All backed up nicely (I checked I could read the CD) but when rebooted to FC3 the directories, subdirectories and files all appear as a single unreadable file????

johnd
29-12-2004, 08:32 PM
OK - I have found a whole bunch of programs that k3b needs to run that do not seem to be installed. What happened to the dependancies at install time?

But none of these programs seem to be supplied on the RC3 CDs.

I have to devote some time to a more pressing matter but if somebody can get me going here I would be most appreciative. I have a friend who is ditching MS Windows & going to FC3 - this will not be a great start if this is typical of FC3 and CD burning! :badpc:

Jen
29-12-2004, 08:41 PM
What sort of programs need to be installed?

This is really strange. My K3b works straight up with no issues. What does this give?

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

And can you post your fstab here as well. Thanks :)

johnd
29-12-2004, 09:18 PM
What sort of programs need to be installed?

eMovix
normalize
tccat
tcdecode
tcprobe
tcscan
transcode
vcdxbuild
vcdxminfo
vcdxrip
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name: hdd hdc
drive speed: 24 6
drive # of slots: 1 1
Can close tray: 1 1
Can open tray: 1 1
Can lock tray: 1 1
Can change speed: 1 1
Can select disk: 0 0
Can read multisession: 1 1
Can read MCN: 1 1
Reports media changed: 1 1
Can play audio: 1 1
Can write CD-R: 1 0
Can write CD-RW: 1 0
Can read DVD: 0 1
Can write DVD-R: 0 0
Can write DVD-RAM: 0 0
Can read MRW: 1 1
Can write MRW: 1 1
Can write RAM: 1 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/zip auto exec,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Jen

johnd
29-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Used up2date to install the latest xcdroast. It still hangs at the stage of detecting devices - detects hdc as DVD player but does not find hdd (the CD-RW device).

johnd
29-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Have just tried writing from the command shell - cannot find the CD-R device either. Begins to look like a drive incompatibility problem?

johnd
29-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Have just tried writing from the command shell - cannot find the CD-R device either. Begins to look like a drive incompatibility problem?

Not quite true - I had the wrong ATA address (1,0,0 instead of 1,1,0). Cdrecord does find the CD-RW device and correctly identifies it - but like the GUI programs , it hangs before anything is written to the disk.

Jen
29-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Really strange. Did you install Fedora using enforced SELinux?

Your cdrom info looks fine, but your fstab varies from mine a bit:

/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder1 auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
Might have to ponder this some more ...

johnd
29-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I chose the option with SELinux turned off.

Every time I try to write, the system cannot umount /home and any other data partition I might be using at shutdown time ..... I do not like that!!

johnd
29-12-2004, 11:03 PM
A quote from FedoraForum:

"My hunch was correct. My CD-RW drive didn't like the modified cdrecord done by Fedora to get around the only-burn-as-root problem. I bought another CD-RW and it works fine."

I wonder if I changed by drive if it would fix the problem - expensive if it doesn't!

johnd
30-12-2004, 07:43 PM
So before I go and purchase another CD-RW drive, has anyone got the CW088D ATAPI DSE CD-R\RW to work with FC3? Who has a common reasonably cheap model that they do have working with FC3?

Thanks
John

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Hey John, you in Aucks?

Ive got a Ricoh CD-RW Drive lying around that one out of every five times has a bit of trouble ejecting....

Its yours if you want it?

johnd
30-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the offer Chill - but I live in Timaru. Am thinking I might go to a DVD writer since the prices have gone down so far.

Jen
30-12-2004, 08:07 PM
If you are thinking about a DVD writer ... I have a new NEC ND-3500a dual layer burner here which works 100% with Fedora Core 3. It got some excellent reviews, but being a dual layer is a little bit more expensive than a standard DVD writer, but future proof's the purchase a little.

Real shame that FC3 took a dislike to your burner.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Ive got an Optorite DD0201 4x +/- DVDRW drive and its fine... same with that newer model Samsung/Toshiba drive thats doing the rounds as a cheap Dual-Layered burner.

Chill.

johnd
31-12-2004, 08:06 PM
If you are thinking about a DVD writer ... I have a new NEC ND-3500a dual layer burner here which works 100% with Fedora Core 3.

Thanks Jen - PriceSpy suggests about $160 - does that sound right?

Chilling_Silence
01-01-2005, 12:14 AM
I got the Samsung one from QMB.co.nz for WAY less... $125 Incl GST IIRC

johnd
01-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Chill

Just to confirm - have you had the Samsung (is it TS-H552?) going with FC3? If so, I would be happy purchasing it otherwise would prefer to spend a little more and know it is going to work from Jen's experience.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah thats the one :-)

Worked internally and also in an external 5 1/4" caddy with no worries at all!