PDA

View Full Version : windows updates

Phil B
28-12-2004, 08:54 PM
how long have you had to have automatic updates enabled. This means ms can install any rubbish, even if you don't want it.

is there a way round it apart from downloading & saving the updates separately.

:horrified

Jen
28-12-2004, 08:56 PM
You can normally select that you are notified of any new updates and have to give permission for each one before they are downloaded. This way you can decide if you need that update or not, or even download it yourself manually if you wish.

Phil B
28-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Hello Jen. I've just been looking on the ms site. it looks like you can download manually, but would have to keep a record of everything installed, so you don't download it again.

If you have auto update switched on, do you still get the option to install? or is that not our decision anymore.

Phil

Jen
28-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Well the last time I looked at MS updates (which was quite some time ago now :p), you could refuse the download that you were notified of by the autoupdater - if you had that option selected. But there was nothing stopping you going and getting that download manually off the Windows catalog site if you wish to keep the installer afterwards. Not sure if XP + SP2 does things differently now.

Oxie
28-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Phil B

I am not sure what operating system you have. I have XP SP1 and under Start, Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates I have selected "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer." As a result you are notified of the updates and can choose which ones to download. You are then informed once again that the updates are ready to install.

Oxie (Lyn)

FoxyMX
28-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Hello Jen. I've just been looking on the ms site. it looks like you can download manually, but would have to keep a record of everything installed, so you don't download it again.

If you have auto update switched on, do you still get the option to install? or is that not our decision anymore.

Phil
You can set auto updates to notify you when new ones are available but not automatically download them. You can then choose whether to download or not. That way you can go to MS and manually download them into a folder and once installed the auto update will recognise it has been done.

Phil B
28-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've turned on auto updates but clicked the radio button to stop downloads & installs. It's been a while since I updated windows as well.

Been concentrating on learning the penguin.

Phil

drb1
29-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've turned on auto updates but clicked the radio button to stop downloads & installs. It's been a while since I updated windows as well.

Been concentrating on learning the penguin.

Phil

Concentrate harder and learn.

D.