PDA

View Full Version : FC3 bootloader problems

george12
28-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I decided to play around with FC3, which I just downloaded - all 4 cd-roms.

First, I resized my 120GB partition down to 115GB using my favourite ntfsresize tool, which has never failed me. That left 5GB for Fedora Core to use.

I installed FC3 off the CDs, using GRUB as my bootloader and installing it to MBR.

But when I rebooted I just got:

GRUB Loading Stage 2

It hung at those words. So I went and reinstalled GRUB, and now it says a very similar thing:

GRUB Loading Stage 1.5

GRUB Bootloader loading...

Or something like that. So it got further. I gave up temporarily and just put back the Windows bootloader.

Now, I have installed grub to the partition, copied the boot sector of the partition to C:\ as a file (linsect.bin) and added it to boot.ini.

I will keep you posted, but more than likely it won't work.

Any advice?

Cheers George

george12
28-12-2004, 08:13 PM
OK, I tried it.

Extremely strange: When I selected FC3 from the boot list, I got an error message saying that \WINDOWS\Hal.dll was corrupted.

Now, that's a strange thing. A windows error message? What the hell is going on? And anyway, Windows works fine. So why is \WINDOWS\Hal.dll corrupted/missing, unless its looking for it on the wrong drive....

SO confusing!

Ash M
28-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I'd boot up from a boot disc, or the FC3 recovery cd and reinstall grub.

OK, I tried it.

Extremely strange: When I selected FC3 from the boot list, I got an error message saying that \WINDOWS\Hal.dll was corrupted.

Now, that's a strange thing. A windows error message? What the hell is going on? And anyway, Windows works fine. So why is \WINDOWS\Hal.dll corrupted/missing, unless its looking for it on the wrong drive....

SO confusing!

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Do a search of the linux.net.nz archives, as it _is_ possible to use the WinXP Bootloader to load Linux!

george12
28-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I'd boot up from a boot disc, or the FC3 recovery cd and reinstall grub.

So I went and reinstalled GRUB...

Unfortunately it still doesn't work :( Thanks anyway.

Chill, looking at that site now. But I don't honestly care what bootloader I use, I just want to make it work.

george12
28-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Where do I do this search, and which archives Chill?

Anyway as I was saying, I am 100% happy to use any setup that involes me being able to choose between XP Pro and FC3. I have no other requirements, other than it WORKING. This leaves it pretty open to options.

So can anyone give me instructions to make Grub (or something else) actually work? Not hanging would be a good start.

Cheers George

johnd
28-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I had a very similar problem recently when I installed FC3 into the same partitions as RH9 was in previously in a XP dual boot PC. Nothing would boot until I reinstalled GRUB then XP would go once then nothing would boot again. I solved it by deleting all Linux partitions and reinstalling Linux.

I suspect (suspect only) that there was some kind of partition problem. I wonder what would happen if you loaded Partition Magic? - it might detect and fix some partition error then all "might" be OK? Just a thought.

george12
28-12-2004, 09:33 PM
I think it might have been because I had chosen to partition manually, for fear of my XP Pro and all my precious data being wiped, but honestly don't have the knowledge to correctly partition FC3.

I made an Ext3 and a Swap partition. Should I have made a /boot?

Maybe I should reinstall, and choose automatic partitioning - it won't wipe Windows will it?

george12
28-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Deleted all linux partitions.

Reinstalling FC3 now, with automatic partitioning. I will be back in an hour or so.

Cheers George

george12
28-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm in FC3 now, and it's WONDERFUL :D

But I can't get the resolution out of 800x600 :O. It only has 640x480 and 800x600 as options :(.

It detects my graphics card correctly as a 9600 (it's a 9600SE), but ....

I will try installing the drivers off the driver CD, but for now: Pudding :D

Cheers

george12
28-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Arg, they're not on the CD and ATI only seems to support XFree86.

What do I do to get 800x600?

Jen
28-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Your monitor might not of been detected correctly. Try running this from a root terminal system-config-display. Failing that, post the "Section "Monitor" and "Section "Screen" parts from running this command from a terminal window:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You might have to dig out your monitor manual to check the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh rates are set.

george12
28-12-2004, 10:53 PM
It lets me change it to 1024x768, but when I log out and log back in it doesn't actually enter that resolution :(.

I think it is because it only seems to have drivers for 'Radeon 9600' and 'Radeon 9600 Pro' - no SE drivers. And the ATI site don't have them either. I think that could be the cause.

But how do I get them?

Edit: Monitor is correctly detected as Philips 105B.

Cheers George

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Drivers are generic for the lot - It doesnt matter.....
They do all the ATI Cards off the one driver.

try running xf86config as root :-)

Chill.

george12
28-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I get command not found for that Chill...

Jen
29-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi George

You still stuck with the low resolution? Did you completely shutdown X so that it could re-read the xorg.conf (not just log out to the login window again)? Going to runlevel 3 and then starting X again or simply rebooting the machine will also do this.

You could try re-running the xorg semi-automatic configuration command as root:

xorgconfig

If you still have the problem, please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf here.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 06:45 PM
When did it change to that? I just ran it too and yeah... Did they change that with the recent 6.8 whatever xorg release?

Jen
29-12-2004, 07:02 PM
You could try re-running the xorg semi-automatic configuration command as root:

xorgconfigHmm .... command not found with that on my machine - Oops. :blush: Couldn't remember the command so I ran off to the Gentoo site and took a peek at their xorg section and didn't try it here first.

FC3 has X.Org version: 6.8.1.

Nevermind, just post your xorg.conf here as it is easier to hack the xorg file manually to make any tweakes required for your resolution.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 07:17 PM
http://www.dimension.net.nz/dump/xorg.conf

Edit it though.. Do a search for where it says "sis" and replace it with "vesa" :-)

Chill.

george12
29-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I will try that now. Goodbye Windows

george12
29-12-2004, 10:05 PM
I got a whole load of wavy colours and then it crashed (X not the PC). I think the wavy colours were in 1024x768 though, so we might have got somewhere ;)

I had to use the good old console to restore my backup of xorg.conf, which I will send to you.

http://www.jgi.co.nz/xorg.conf

If you can play around with that to the point where it works, I will be very very happy indeed :).

Cheers George

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Did you try adding "1024x768" before the "800x600" "640x480" ?

Do that on both the 'Mode' lines and it should sort itself out.

george12
29-12-2004, 11:19 PM
*Doh*

Perhaps I should have bothered to look at such obvious things before making this post! I will try it next time I go into linux.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Ah well, we've all gotta start somewhere...
I got a lot of experience hacking up my XF86Config file when I was running Lycoris and it didnt like my kernel mixed with the nVidia drivers.

Chill.

george12
30-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Great news - I'm in 1024x768.

Thanks very much for the help. My next query:

How do I get it to read my NTFS drive? It better be able to...

When I try to mount it it says:

[root@localhost george]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

So, is there something I can get to make it read NTFS?

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Im not sure how Redhat configure their kernel, but try:
modprobe ntfs

Modprobing is basically loading up the drivers (Modules) for XYZ.
Otherwise google for Captive-NTFS

Chill.

johnd
30-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Have a look at this site for NTFS RPMs for Fedora:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html

Kame
31-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Using Ntloader To Boot Linux, Win2K or XP (written by me)
http://www.astahost.com/asta-file-no-1510.html

Use the NTFS rpm on rpm.livna.org I think!?!? or one of the repository, that way when it's updated you can update it easily.

Kame